Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, time for my weekly "What the heck is going on" thread..

I replaced my battery about 2 weeks ago with a brand new one, still under warranty. I tried to start the jeep this morning and it turned over 1 time and then all the electronics died, no lights, no buzzing sound when i turn key, no radio.

So I jump it off with my car, it rides good until I get to gas station, then I find some nice guy to give me a jump. We get it started, I make the 25 minute drive to work.

So I get to the parking lot, and for kicks and giggles I turn it off and try to crank it... nothing.

Looks like I'll be needing a jump when I get off at 5am. I'm planning on taking it to auto zone tomorrow to test the battery or alternator. All the connections look fine and the terminals don't have much corrosion.

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
I would bet on the battery and or connections. Best to replace the cables with a new battery.
sounds like the alternator was working and keeping it running .

·
Registered
86 Posts
what does the battery guage say on the dash when it is running? Added any electrical components lately that may be draining the battery while you are away?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Check the ground wire for your battery. I had a similar issue on another car a few years back and chased my tail figuring it out. It starts while getting jumped because you are borrowing the other car's ground.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i'll definitely check that guardian... tomorrow ;)

and jay, haven't added anything new, battery guage is on the line between 9 and 14, so i'm guessing 12 volts..

scott, all the connections to the battery itself look fine, battery is brand new

·
Registered
323 Posts
If the Jeep runs normally after the jump and has normal voltage, the alternator is working properly. I'd guess the battery is bad, despite being new. If the alternator went bad the voltage would progressively drop and the Jeep would eventually just stall out for lack of voltage from the battery, and the charge wouldn't last for any substantial amount of time.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Huh ? did you do any testing with a meter ? why did you replace the battery in the first place ? was it doing the same thing or something prior, or just after battery replacement ? I have seen situations where when a battery is fully charged / jumped , vehicle will run for a while, but once turned off would not restart more than likely cause the battery is not holding charge, or alternator is not putting out what it should and not charging battery while running , but providing just enough to keep the ignition going . Keep posted what you find out at auto zone.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Didn't make it to auto zone. My friends baby passed and I had to go support him. But it did crank right up

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've had the same problem many times. Every time it turns out to be a bad ground connection. That would be the cheapest to rule out anyways.

·
Registered
3,841 Posts
Didn't make it to auto zone. My friends baby passed and I had to go support him. But it did crank right up

Sorry to here of the Baby passing.:flowers:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts