Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need a new battery. The dealer says "Customers put in a aftermarket battery in wranglers and the problem is the post’s on the batteries are smaller so the terminals don’t fit on them good so they become loose and create a bunch of problems. Just being honest with you"

Yea or Nay?

$213 out the door for an OEM battery.

Looks like the cheapest H6 battery at Walmart is $120 and then goes up from there.

·
Registered
8,929 Posts
.... The dealer says "Customers put in a aftermarket battery in wranglers and the problem is the post’s on the batteries are smaller so the terminals don’t fit on them good so they become loose and create a bunch of problems. Just being honest with you".....
Utter nonsense.

https://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/best-agm-batteries-on-the-market-2264585.html?highlight=exide
https://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/need-a-little-advice-on-batteries-2369515.html?highlight=exide
https://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/battery-replacement-2363591.html?highlight=exide
https://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/best-battery-for-jeep-wrangler-jk-2349325.html?highlight=exide

Reactions: ChrisNW

·
Grooving With A Pict
2,493 Posts
My OEM died recently at just over 2 years old. Replaced it with an Autocraft Platinum AGM, Group Size H6, 760 CCA. Would buy another for sure. Out the door with the online ordering discount and core exchange was right at $186.00

·
Registered
622 Posts
Well, the terminals on Jeeps are utter garbage. So spend $3 on generic replacements first, then put in any battery you want. Just replaced my battery 2 days ago. The non-OEM one fits just fine.

·
Registered
8,929 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Need a new battery. The dealer says "Customers put in a aftermarket battery in wranglers and the problem is the post’s on the batteries are smaller so the terminals don’t fit on them good so they become loose and create a bunch of problems. Just being honest with you"

Yea or Nay?

$213 out the door for an OEM battery.

Looks like the cheapest H6 battery at Walmart is $120 and then goes up from there.
As long as you buy the same class category of battery and a matching replacement then the post sizes will be the same. Not knowing the battery size which I am guessing is the issue is why the posts were smaller than the OEM.

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
Dealer is full of bovine excrement. No difference in battery terminals on the battery side from OEM and aftermarket. The crappy Jeep battery terminals now are a different story.

My stock battery died at 4.5 years old. I replaced it with the Advance Auto Platinum AGM and it's now 3 years old and still going.

Reactions: RhinoSportJKU

·
Grooving With A Pict
2,493 Posts
Dealer is full of bovine excrement. No difference in battery terminals on the battery side from OEM and aftermarket. The crappy Jeep battery terminals now are a different story.

My stock battery died at 4.5 years old. I replaced it with the Advance Auto Platinum AGM and it's now 3 years old and still going.
I went with it because of what I read about AGM's, some technical reviews, and it seemed a good balance of price vs. performance. Certainly not the most expensive "boutique" battery, but by far not a cheaply made lead acid battery.

You were really lucky getting 4.5 years out of yours. I got over 5 in my Focus ST, which I thought was pretty damn incredible given all the electronics, touch screen, gadgets, etc. that it has.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I've always used aftermarket batteries once the factory one died and never had any issues on any of my Jeeps over the years, if anything it might be a good time to consider a upgrade if you have to deal with alot of cold weather in the winter or have accessories like a winch.

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
I went with it because of what I read about AGM's, some technical reviews, and it seemed a good balance of price vs. performance. Certainly not the most expensive "boutique" battery, but by far not a cheaply made lead acid battery.

You were really lucky getting 4.5 years out of yours. I got over 5 in my Focus ST, which I thought was pretty damn incredible given all the electronics, touch screen, gadgets, etc. that it has.
Yes, I did get really lucky with the length of time it lasted. Unfortunately, It went with completely no warning and it cost me a tow.

The Advance battery had good reviews and I had a 20% off coupon that I was able to use, mine cost me under $150. I;m still happy with it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts