Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So question i am unsure of. Can a Battery be to strong for your starter and burn up the starter?

·
Registered
35 Posts
No *(unless battery is higher voltage), the starter will pull from the battery what it requires. That's like saying your wall outlet at home can supply enough power for 1000W microwave and so will be too strong and burn up your 5W phone charger. Think of *current as a rope, it can only be pulled and not pushed. If the load on the starter is too high, then maybe it'll pull too much current from the battery and burn up the starter.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What i was thinking as well. So bonus Question what is the recommended Battery size for a 98 TJ 2.5L? And a Starter for a 98 TJ 2.5l?

·
Registered
13,797 Posts
Have seen non computer controlled vehicles hooked to two 12 volt batters for starting with no adverse effect on starter
It did however fry the radio on one guy

Burning up starter is from gunning it slow or for prolonged periods of time
Key stuck in start can quickly fry started with that special burnt electric smell
Running slow makes for less back emf and higher current draw, and power which makes heat is Current squared times resistance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Lol i think i understood all that but i did get the point of the starter Draws what it needs.

I will not sit there and rev it at a red light. Its not a street racer LOL.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts