Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What would be considered the top of the line battery for our Jeeps?

I have a cabin in the UP... Gets very cold at night, also run a lot of stereo stuff, etc.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Optima is severely overrated. Look for ones with high CCA and reserve capacity. Absorbed glass mat are generally the best.

·
Registered
8,929 Posts
Go with an Optima!
For what he's describing you'd need two Yellowtops. If a dual set-up is anticipated, that would be my recommendation.

Optimas are very robust (fewer overall parts, especially welded parts) than other AGMs, spillproof, and recharge very quickly due to low internal resistance.
They're not known for and make no claims for their reserve capacity.
Their CCAs are great though.

If you want a single battery, do look at a good AGM. I'd avoid the exotics like those from Enersys due to finicky charging requirements. JKs don't crank out the amps required to keep them happy.

·
Retired Moderator
100,608 Posts
Odyssey_Battery_34R_PC1500T_A_Automotive_Battery odyssey.jpg

^^^This is one of the best!!!

·
Registered
8,929 Posts
View attachment 2800193

^^^This is one of the best!!!
Made by Enersys. They don't do well in a JK if they are deep-cycled. Takes too much initial amperage during their bulk cycle recharge phase. The JK alternator just can't hack it.
OP says he wants to deep-cycle.

·
Registered
357 Posts
duralast gold from autozone.

·
Registered
8,929 Posts

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Decent option. Is it a Deka? I'd like to do that too...
A friend of mine is a manager at an AZ near Indy. He says they're DieHard re-labels which I think is Johnson Controls. He says the two top Duralast batteries basically never have warranty claims.

·
Registered
316 Posts
DEKA - very hard to beat. They make NAPAs top end batteries in my area. I and my family have had many vehicles and batteries- DEKAs have proven to be the longest lasting and most reliable.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Just purchased (2) ody34-pc1500t Odyssey batteries to install with the Genesis dual bat kit. We will see how well the alt does.

·
Registered
8,929 Posts
A friend of mine is a manager at an AZ near Indy. He says they're DieHard re-labels which I think is Johnson Controls. He says the two top Duralast batteries basically never have warranty claims.
I've had very very good experiences with the private label JCI batteries.
I've got a buddy running two private label Dekas ---- he's run them too flat too many times and they died young. But any auto battery will do that.

I always recommend keeping your batteries happy while off the grid.
I have one of THESE and it works great on a pair of Walmart (JCI) boat batteries for the trailer. If you sign up your email at Renogy they send you coupons and specials. I think I paid @229 for the panels/suitcase shipped.

·
Registered
8,929 Posts
Just purchased (2) ody34-pc1500t Odyssey batteries to install with the Genesis dual bat kit. We will see how well the alt does.
Never run them down past 12.5v and expect the Jeep to recharge them. If they go that low, charge them on an Enersys-approved charger when you get home.
They're good batteries but really need a care about maintenance.

Again, solar is a great tool.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Don't mean to hijack the thread, but how are Northstar batteries? Looking at the specs they seem good but how are they when using them for deep cycle in a jk

·
Premium Member
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Made by Enersys. They don't do well in a JK if they are deep-cycled. Takes too much initial amperage during their bulk cycle recharge phase. The JK alternator just can't hack it.
OP says he wants to deep-cycle.
Damn I just bought one... so is this a bad idea for my jeep?

I wanted to do the dual battery option as well.

Maybe I can use this 1 Odyssey and a different brand?

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
My last 3 Duralast Gold batteries were replaced under warranty. One only lasted about 1 year and it was replaced completely free under warranty. My other 2 batteries lasted just over 2 years so the warranty was pro-rated. I now use Interstate batteries.

·
Registered
357 Posts
My last 3 Duralast Gold batteries were replaced under warranty. One only lasted about 1 year and it was replaced completely free under warranty. My other 2 batteries lasted just over 2 years so the warranty was pro-rated. I now use Interstate batteries.
I have never had issues with mine...I even store my mustang over the winter in the garage..starts right up 5 months after just sitting.no trickle charge or anything.had it for 6 years already.Other friends run it problem free also.

·
Registered
8,929 Posts
Damn I just bought one... so is this a bad idea for my jeep?

I wanted to do the dual battery option as well.

Maybe I can use this 1 Odyssey and a different brand?
They're great batteries ----- if you take care of them properly.
I'd say, look at the care-and-feeding on the Enersys website. If it strikes terror into you, swap it. If it inspires romantic notions of a long-term relationship, keep it.
A friend of mine learned the hard way that you can kill a perfectly good Enersys in a year if you don't tend to its needs. Other people have them for a decade.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts