Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Commercial Member
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have a recommendation on how to manage wires coming off the positive post connection of the battery? I'm using what came stock and I have a winch, radio, amp, amp for sub, lights, etc.. And it's looking pretty crazy and unorganized. Is there a distribution adapter which has more posts, with possibly channels to route the wires in a more organized way? I will probably take lights and one or two other things off and replace it with a single run to a fuse box. But that will probably only reduce it by one.

Any suggestions appreciated.

·
Commercial Member
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have you looked at the sPOD ?
Yep, but I don't think it solves this problem. Power for Winch, CB, and Amps shouldn't be running through your Spod due to load as well as interference feeding into radio's, and finally, the need for a switch is nil for most of us. Appreciate the SPOD perspective though. Thx

·
Registered
499 Posts
How many power wires do you have total and what are the sizes? It sounds like a regular distribution block is what you're looking for. Just google distribution block and you will see a ton of different options depending on your wiring.

·
Commercial Member
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How many power wires do you have total and what are the sizes? It sounds like a regular distribution block is what you're looking for. Just google distribution block and you will see a ton of different options depending on your wiring.
There are several. (From memory, could be off a couple numbers either direction) Winch is a 1, amp is a 2, amp for sub is an 8, cb is a 12, lights 14, and I'm forgetting one or two. The distribution block I've seen are separate from battery, so you have to run a wire and then break out. I was hoping for something off battery directly. I can run the smaller wires off a fuse block/distro. I also thought distorts were all focused on big wire, but I'll search a bit more.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
I have a few amps and lights, horns etc hooked up to a BlueSea SafetyHub 150. It handles it well. I've got 2/0 wire to power it and you can connect power and ground to it. Also running a Hella 4bank relay center to the right of the pic on a lil platform I made of aluminum.
This is during the install:

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Check out the power bus bar on the Genesis Offroad dual battery kit. It comes off the isolator and provides a large center post for larger wires and several smaller connections. It seems like you could run something like this straight off the positive post of the battery if you don't actually want to install dual batteries. I googled power bus bar and got several interesting links. If you opt for dual batteries, the Genesis kit is the best out there. There's a certain peace of mind that comes with dual batteries that, in my opinion, is worth the price.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,417 Posts
This is what I'd do... you're right that a SPOD isn't suitable for the winch connection so get a good battery with aux connectors like the Sears Diehard Platinum 3478-DT. Don't get the Optima, its side posts aren't up to the high amperage load a winch can present.

For the rest of your connections, a SPOD would work fine including for aux stereo amplifiers which don't draw THAT much current. But as good as a SPOD is, and I met the two women that started/own SPOD and they're great ladies, there are cheaper ways to go. Personally, I just bought an aux fuse block and mounted it to the fender well. One wire from the fuse block to the battery and that's it.

And I'm more of a fan of jumper cables from a friend's vehicle than I am dual batteries. Dual batteries are harder to get working properly than the average Jeeper realizes. In over 20 years of Jeeping and winching, several times even having to winch my Jeep when the engine couldn't be started. I've never felt the need for dual batteries. Not to mention the additional weight they present.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Dual batteries are harder to get working properly than the average Jeeper realizes. In over 20 years of Jeeping and winching, several times even having to winch my Jeep when the engine couldn't be started. I've never felt the need for dual batteries. Not to mention the additional weight they present.
I disagree. The Genesis dual battery kit is pretty much plug and play. The isolator is pre-wired. Install, hook up 4 battery posts and you are done. Even when I did all the wiring for the dual battery set-ups in my '03 TJ and '82 Scrambler, it just took a few hours for the complete install (tray and all). The JK install took a bit longer but that was not because of any wiring issues.

In over 30 years of Jeeping and backcountry travel, the second battery has saved me often enough to make it worthwhile. Some don't need dual batteries...some do. Most often, I'm on the trail alone and don't have the luxury of a spare jeep. If you are leaving anything running while the Jeep is off...like amps, lights or a fridge, you run the risk of a dead battery. The weight is inconsequential.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
I used Marine terminals on my old rig with the Benchmark dual battery kit and sPod. I'm planning the same with my new rig with a Genesis kit and sPod.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,417 Posts
I disagree. The Genesis dual battery kit is pretty much plug and play. The isolator is pre-wired. Install, hook up 4 battery posts and you are done. Even when I did all the wiring for the dual battery set-ups in my '03 TJ and '82 Scrambler, it just took a few hours for the complete install (tray and all). The JK install took a bit longer but that was not because of any wiring issues.

In over 30 years of Jeeping and backcountry travel, the second battery has saved me often enough to make it worthwhile. Some don't need dual batteries...some do. Most often, I'm on the trail alone and don't have the luxury of a spare jeep. If you are leaving anything running while the Jeep is off...like amps, lights or a fridge, you run the risk of a dead battery. The weight is inconsequential.
A couple comments... first, you have confused yourself with the "average Jeeper" I described above who has little to no electrical knowledge. I have an extensive electronic/electrical education and I could easily get a dual battery setup installed and working too but few have that ability... which is why I said the "average Jeeper" would have difficulty... especially since many so-called dual battery kits are poorly designed and don't work as claimed. You obviously found one that works ok.

And as an old guy that has been offroading for many years, I would never purposely choose to wheel alone. There are just too many things that can and do go wrong when that far away from civilization. And the weight of a second battery may be inconsequential to some but it is to me.

And more interesting is even with all my offroad winching and years of wheeling with a single good quality battery, I have never had an instance where I needed a jump start. But if I ever did, it'd be as close as the other Jeeper(s) I'd be wheeling with.

To me, offroading in remote areas is like scuba diving... never do it alone. :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts