Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so we got a cold front that came in last night on thanksgiving and my factory battery crapped out. I removed it and went and had it tested and they said it was bad so I bought a new bigger and better one for my jeep which is an 05' TJ, I'm home now to install it and noticed at the bottom of the plate were the battery sits there's this little circular disc that sits on a spring and when you push it down you can see a metal disc under it and there's a wiring harness attached to it that runs under the plate! Can anyone tell me what this is before I put my battery in because the new one I got is for my jeep but it doesn't look like when I put it in it's not gonna push that disc down! Or is it like a safety switch and it's not suppose to push it down? Need help please because I'm working on it now I need my jeep back! Lol thanks in advance.

HOSTILE TJ,

·
Knows a couple things...
49,389 Posts
That's the PCM's thermal sensor that monitors the battery's temperature to prevent overcharging the battery. If the sensor senses the battery is getting hot, the PCM reduces the charge rate from the alternator. Leave it alone, it's positioned to make a firm contact with the battery.

·
Brewing, Skiing & Jeeps..
549 Posts
It's the flux capacitor. Just don't go over 88 and you will be fine. That shouldn't be a problem in the Jeep.

Sorry. Back to the future is on and I couldn't resist. Seriously I hope someone knows. Now I'm really interested. :wavey:

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Jerry Bransford said:
That's the PCM's thermal sensor that monitors the battery's temperature to prevent overcharging the battery. If the sensor senses the battery is getting hot, the PCM reduces the charge rate from the alternator. Leave it alone, it's positioned to make a firm contact with the battery.
Ok Jerry I was gonna unbolt the plate so I can clean it because there's alot of dirt and debri in it and the sensor feels really lose! Should I check to make sure it's tight and can I remove the plate to clean it out?

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bruck said:
It's the flux capacitor. Just don't go over 88 and you will be fine. That shouldn't be a problem in the Jeep.

Sorry. Back to the future is on and I couldn't resist. Seriously I hope someone knows. Now I'm really interested. :wavey:
Lmao, no problem bro but when I seen your thread I was like WOAH I've got a back to the future JEEP!!!! Lol

·
549 Posts
Is that a standard item? I don't recall seeing that when I replaced my battery last time.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Bruck said:
Is that a standard item? I don't recall seeing that when I replaced my battery last time.
Don't know I'm getting Jerry's help right now, he's the go to guy if I have a question because he really knows his jeeps! But I think it should because he said it's the PCM's thermal sensor so I would think all jeeps have them! Well maybe not the older models

·
549 Posts
Sounds that way....I need to pay closer attention next time.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Bruck said:
Sounds that way....I need to pay closer attention next time.
Lol yeah usually if it's something I've never done or came across I figure it out myself but when I see electrical or wiring harnesses plugged into something I don't mess with it until I know what it is or what it does! In this case that's the first time I've seen something like this so I didn't know what it was. But this is the first battery I've had to replace! The factory one lasted a long time I'm really surprised

·
Registered
4,109 Posts

Just doing 68 is scary enough.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts