Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just put a 2" Coil spring spacer (BB) lift on my 97 TJ. Took it for a spin and the first bump I encountered over 45MPH nearly shook the Jeep apart. Prior to the BB everything was fine (still is) no worn or loose front end parts. But now after the BB I'm experiencing death wobble. Could it just need to be aligned?
Thanks!

·
Mostly old school..!
12,149 Posts
I just put a 2" Coil spring spacer (BB) lift on my 97 TJ. Took it for a spin and the first bump I encountered over 45MPH nearly shook the Jeep apart. Prior to the BB everything was fine (still is) no worn or loose front end parts. But now after the BB I'm experiencing death wobble. Could it just need to be aligned?
Thanks!
You need to reset the toe-in #1. Excessive toe-in after the lift is likely what TRIGGERED the death wobble, but it is not the CAUSE. Chances are you have a worn or loose steering/suspension part or minor play in multiple parts. Track bar bushing or wallowed out track bar mounting hole is the most common culprit, followed by play in tie rod or drag link ends. Reset the toe in (which you can easily do at home with a tape measure...write up below) then do a dry steer test to find the cause.

Dry Steering Test

Do a dry steering test by having someone sit in your Jeep (with the tires on the ground) and continuously turn the steering wheel back and forth from about the 11 to 1 position while you lay under the front end and watch and feel for any lateral play in any steering or suspension joints. Check both track bar ends, the tie rod and drag link ends. Also check control arm bushings.
Although rotational movement in the tie rod and drag link is normal and necessary, there should be no end movement at all in the joints. There also should be no movement in the track bar ends.

Attachments

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I went through everything before and nothing seemed loose. I'll have to get back under there and check it all again. Thanks!

·
Mostly old school..!
12,149 Posts
I went through everything before and nothing seemed loose. I'll have to get back under there and check it all again. Thanks!
You need to watch and feel the joints as they are moving. Even slight amounts of play can result in dw. Also make sure your tires are balanced.

·
Registered
418 Posts
same happened to me when i installed my 2" bb scared the hell out of me.
that was about 2 years ago and i think i finally fixed my death wobble lol
problem was warn out ball joint in the ritman arm/draglink.
when i had someone do the dry steer i felt a clunk in that area. replaced the part and then went on a 600 mile road trip a couple days after and no sign of death wobble :)

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
same happened to me when i installed my 2" bb scared the hell out of me.
that was about 2 years ago and i think i finally fixed my death wobble lol
problem was warn out ball joint in the ritman arm/draglink.
when i had someone do the dry steer i felt a clunk in that area. replaced the part and then went on a 600 mile road trip a couple days after and no sign of death wobble :)
Thanks!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts