Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I am new to the community but not new to owning a JK. I currently have a 2012 2 door Sahara with 33" nitto trail grapplers and 17" mbs. I am trading it in for a 2015 4 door rubicon in less than a month and I am so pumped. I've been looking at an 2.5" and 3" lift. I just would only like like some reviews on this 3"BDS lift because this is what this shop specializes in by my house so I would like some ideas. All they said I would need is a trackbar. I was checking out a stabilizer as well. Let me give you a little background about what I plan on doing. This will mostly be a daily driver but I don't get me wrong I do go hunting and find myself in spots that I could use some thing beefy. I will be doing more offroading once I get a lift. I'm set on a lift, I suffered three years waiting with u 2 door wrangler so it's time for me. Please be patient as I might have some questions. I do know a fair amount but I am no expert and this is why I joined. Just really want ordering about this BDS lift. I did look it up online so you know and I didn't find much updated to this year. Mostly 2008-2012. Thank you

·
Registered
10,470 Posts
The 3" BDS is pretty complete. Front discos, rear links, brake line brackets, coils, and shocks. Just do not use their cam bolts. All that the Wf recommends is a geometry correction bracket and grade 8 bolts. You don't need a steering stabilizer, but I would recommend in investing in a front trackbar. You might not need it but at that height, you might.

·
Super Moderator
53,758 Posts
The 3" BDS is pretty complete. Front discos, rear links, brake line brackets, coils, and shocks. Just do not use their cam bolts. All that the Wf recommends is a geometry correction bracket and grade 8 bolts. You don't need a steering stabilizer, but I would recommend in investing in a front trackbar. You might not need it but at that height, you might.
I agree

·
Super Moderator
14,533 Posts
The BDS lifts are decent in my opinion. Their shocks aren't as good as some other options unless you upgrade to the Fox 2.0's and then it's getting up there in price. Also, the track bar from BDS isn't the best either... use the JKS track bar instead, big upgrade.

So, BDS lift, geo brackets from Rancho and a JKS front track bar. Good to go.

I like that they include the exhaust spacers but the disconnects are an additional cost.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you everyone. Why would you guys not recommend the stabilizer? Would it help improve on road such as highways and going back and forth to work? Just curious. I was looking at the JKS front adjustable track bar but what do you guys think about the tereflex track bar. My buddy said it was pretty heavy duty. Just want to do this right and not over. Also speaking of cam bolts, wouldn't I be better off spending a little more money on adjustable lower control arms?

·
Super Moderator
21,983 Posts
my buddy has the 3" bds on his 2014 jkur he has fox shocks and it does very well. We just got back from Moab and it is a flexing machine. He went with AEV lower control arms and his Caster is ~4* he has heavy bumpers front and rear. For the money you can not beat RK front track bar it is 125 thru Northridge after forum discount.

stock stabilizer is fine.

·
Super Moderator
14,533 Posts
Thank you everyone. Why would you guys not recommend the stabilizer? Would it help improve on road such as highways and going back and forth to work? Just curious. I was looking at the JKS front adjustable track bar but what do you guys think about the tereflex track bar. My buddy said it was pretty heavy duty. Just want to do this right and not over. Also speaking of cam bolts, wouldn't I be better off spending a little more money on adjustable lower control arms?
The JKS and Teraflex track bars are the 2 best bars in my opinion. The RK is also very good but has some clearance issues on some "fat" diff covers.

Don't use the cam bolts, use either geo correction brackets or lower control arms. At 3" lift, the correction brackets will give a noticeable improvement in on road driving quality.

Rancho RS6250B - RANCHO® Control Arm Bracket for 07-15 Jeep® Wrangler & Wrangler Unlimited JK with 3-4" Lift - Quadratec

If you prefer control arms, the Synergy fixed lowers are a perfect match for a 3" lift.

SYNERGY MANUFACTURING :: Jeep JK :: Synergy Jeep JK Heavy Duty Fixed Front Lower Control Arms (Pair)

You are thinking about it correctly, research and do it right!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The JKS and Teraflex track bars are the 2 best bars in my opinion. The RK is also very good but has some clearance issues on some "fat" diff covers.

Don't use the cam bolts, use either geo correction brackets or lower control arms. At 3" lift, the correction brackets will give a noticeable improvement in on road driving quality.

Rancho RS6250B - RANCHO® Control Arm Bracket for 07-15 Jeep® Wrangler & Wrangler Unlimited JK with 3-4" Lift - Quadratec

If you prefer control arms, the Synergy fixed lowers are a perfect match for a 3" lift.

SYNERGY MANUFACTURINGÂ*::Â*Jeep JKÂ*::Â*Synergy Jeep JK Heavy Duty Fixed Front Lower Control Arms (Pair)

You are thinking about it correctly, research and do it right!
Okay so I read a thread about brackets vs. CA's(you and KJeeeper were actually in it lol) I don't want to start a huge debate about it but just for my understanding. Basically both of you were going for CA's my guess is you guys go more off-roading than I do. With that being said I understand geo brackets give a better ride on road but limit you with ground clearance. In my case that wouldn't be an issue but i do beat the hell out of my jeep now so I imagine it with a lift and I'm going to bang it up. The CA's fix caster alignment and so do brackets but the CA's are better off road and on road but can always risk the chance of loosening up. Ehhh so confusing, sorry if I'm not making sense. I need to learn this though.

·
Super Moderator
53,758 Posts
Okay so I read a thread about brackets vs. CA's(you and KJeeeper were actually in it lol) I don't want to start a huge debate about it but just for my understanding. Basically both of you were going for CA's my guess is you guys go more off-roading than I do. With that being said I understand geo brackets give a better ride on road but limit you with ground clearance. In my case that wouldn't be an issue but i do beat the hell out of my jeep now so I imagine it with a lift and I'm going to bang it up. The CA's fix caster alignment and so do brackets but the CA's are better off road and on road but can always risk the chance of loosening up. Ehhh so confusing, sorry if I'm not making sense. I need to learn this though.
I always say. If off roading is not your thing... 100% get the brackets.

·
Super Moderator
14,533 Posts
Add Synergy to that list.
Got it, that's why usually put "my opinion" in there. I don't have experience with the Synergy. I did research them before and found that they are 1.25" diameter where most premium mfg's have now gone to 1.5" diameter for rigidity on JK's. They do have the best adjustment set up!

I always say. If off roading is not your thing... 100% get the brackets.
Yes, this.

Even then, the clearance issue isn't something that is constantly in play...

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Okay so one more question. My shop setups is:
1)BDS front 4"lift and rear 3"lift(they said it levels it out)
2) track bar
3) fox shocks 2.0
4) synergy lower control arms(they recommended synergy as well)
Now they also said $1100 for labor, is that just me or is that an insane amount of money for labor. I understand I want everything to be right and I know this shop specializes in jeeps so i would like it from them. I wish I could put it on myself to learn about it but I would fudge something up.

·
Registered
10,470 Posts
too much for labor. I'm having a RK max travel kit (all 4 LCA, and brake lines), bump stops, coil retainer clips, rear correction wedges, exhaust spacer, and grade 8 bolts. installed w/ alignment at the dealer for $600.00.

I just don't have time to work on vehicles like I use to.

·
Super Moderator
14,533 Posts
Okay so one more question. My shop setups is:
1)BDS front 4"lift and rear 3"lift(they said it levels it out)
2) track bar
3) fox shocks 2.0
4) synergy lower control arms(they recommended synergy as well)
Now they also said $1100 for labor, is that just me or is that an insane amount of money for labor. I understand I want everything to be right and I know this shop specializes in jeeps so i would like it from them. I wish I could put it on myself to learn about it but I would fudge something up.
Agree, that is too much. I have quotes for non control arm kits at $400-$500 and an all 8 arm kit for $600.

That's like saying it's going to take them 11 hours to do the install. A Jeep shop with lift and tools can do that in 5-6 hours max...

·
Super Moderator
21,983 Posts
just did 2 2.5 RK and a TJ trackbar install that took away from the 2 lifts and did them in under 10 hours. 1 of the lifts was solo the other was with help.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thank you guys. I'm going to have to talk them and knock the labor down like $600. I also think it's to much. If I can get it for $600-800 than I'm in but if not Ill walk and doubt they will want me to walk away from a 2000$ lift. I'm from Long Island so idk if anyone knows anyone. I'll have to to check out the section on here for ny.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Can I do the brackets and the control arms? Would that benefit me for daily driving or can you only do one of them?

·
Registered
784 Posts
Looks like a good setup. Depending on your off roading, I'd seriously recommend a stabilizer relocate bracket to the list. The stock stabilizer is fine, but hangs low. It's usually the first to get wiped out off roading without the bracket to raise it and it's cheap.

·
Super Moderator
14,533 Posts
Can I do the brackets and the control arms? Would that benefit me for daily driving or can you only do one of them?
You can do both. But the main benefit is achieved by using either one of them. The brackets do more, but they do have the small drawback of lost ground clearance.

I do enough trails that I want to keep that extra ground clearance. If I was lifting higher, I would do both...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts