Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
not sure why so much is said by others I can only speek from exspirence. My brother has a BDS lift on his JK and has only a few minor issues in the past and when he contacted them with his concerns they were very quick to solve his concerns and even followed up with a phone call a couple weeks later, not sure you can get that kind of service anywhere else

·
Registered
29 Posts
Very reputable company with high quality lifts, lifetime warranty, and great costumer service. They also own Zone lifts, which is their more budget department, but still high quality and good customer service. I actually did some research, the 2" BDS lift is better than the 2.5" RC lift because the load rating of the springs are much higher than the RC. So if you add a winch or aftermarket bumper down the road, they won't sag as much. If the springs ever do sag, you can send them and get new ones no problem. The higher price tag is easily worth the money.

·
Registered
8,952 Posts
Why don't I hear much about this company on this site?
maybe you're not looking? lots of people run BDS stuff...:D

they make good springs and reasonable budget shocks. the springs have the best warranty in the business - no questions asked full replacement.

i wouldn't use their control arms tho...poly bushings & generic flex joints - no thanks. not a fan of the geometry on some of their kits either. the good thing is they usually include bumpstop extensions :D

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
I have the zone lift combo, which is in the same family as BDS and I absolutely love it. The shocks handle really well, but when I was first looking at my suspension lift, people were talking about the BDS system. I went with the cheaper version, but have not regretted it.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Looks like the zone budget boost stuff is priced similar to the others. BDS has a spacer kit that is about 150 bucks more and in the the mid to high 300 range.

·
Premium Member
1,893 Posts
I really don't know why people slam poly bushings so much. I've got BDS control arms with poly bushings and have never had any issues at all with flexing em out, no binding, no tearing off brackets, they are some of the strongest and well built arms I've seen. (not including custom built arms) I have the control arms that come with they're "Ultimate 4.5" Short Arm Kit".

·
Registered
3,524 Posts
I really don't know why people slam poly bushings so much. I've got BDS control arms with poly bushings and have never had any issues at all with flexing em out, no binding, no tearing off brackets, they are some of the strongest and well built arms I've seen. (not including custom built arms) I have the control arms that come with they're "Ultimate 4.5" Short Arm Kit".
People who know and understand the difference slam poly bushings because of a couple reasons--very little misalignment and very prohibitive torsional movement--aka, they don't move. When your axle articulates, something's gotta give. Just because it hasn't yet doesn't mean it won't. There's really no debate--there are MUCH better ways to go about it. Just because the arms are strong doesn't mean the ends are good because they are far from ideal.

They get their rep from their warranty, springs and shocks. I wouldn't bother with anything else.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am no suspension guru, nor am I a rock crawler. Any lift that I am looking at would be int he 2" or lower range. So, when looking at those, BDS just does not seem to hit the radar. Rubicon express, sky jacker, rough country, etc.... those are the ones that come to mind and the ones you see. They are also all in the $250 range give or take and all offer upgraded shocks which raise the price a bit. In the case of RE, the price can hit $400.

What I like about what I have seen about BDS is that no one seems to really trash them, their website is by FAR the best out there for building a suspension system, and the warranty is like none other. But, you do pay a lttle more.

For me, they offer both a coil spacer lift at 1.75" as well as a coil lift at 2". One runs about $340 and the other I think is just over $400. I am sure most of you would say to go with the coils, but using the spacers should result in reduced change of driveline vibration (I would think). Frankly, I don't care that much about the 0.25" loss. BUT, their springs seem to be about the best build out there. I just don't know how the ride would compare between the two options.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
I just had a BB installed with OME shocks. I do the springs if you can afford it. I really didn't want much of a lift with 31 tires. I'm going to take to the hills in a few minutes to test it out. You should be able to find a BB for for less than $320. The Zone BB is just over $200, and it's the same company.

I am no suspension guru, nor am I a rock crawler. Any lift that I am looking at would be int he 2" or lower range. So, when looking at those, BDS just does not seem to hit the radar. Rubicon express, sky jacker, rough country, etc.... those are the ones that come to mind and the ones you see. They are also all in the $250 range give or take and all offer upgraded shocks which raise the price a bit. In the case of RE, the price can hit $400.

What I like about what I have seen about BDS is that no one seems to really trash them, their website is by FAR the best out there for building a suspension system, and the warranty is like none other. But, you do pay a lttle more.

For me, they offer both a coil spacer lift at 1.75" as well as a coil lift at 2". One runs about $340 and the other I think is just over $400. I am sure most of you would say to go with the coils, but using the spacers should result in reduced change of driveline vibration (I would think). Frankly, I don't care that much about the 0.25" loss. BUT, their springs seem to be about the best build out there. I just don't know how the ride would compare between the two options.

·
Registered
8,952 Posts
I really don't know why people slam poly bushings so much.
I know a guy that said the same thing. built a whole long arm suspension system with poly bushings on all ends.

then he ripped the control arm mounts off the frame.

so, to solve that, he reinforced the mounts with 1/4" plate to make them stronger.

next time out, he twisted the arm tubing in half, ripping a big tear about 6" longways down the arm.

after he learned the misalignment thing Imped mentioned the hard way, he built new arms with JJ's on all ends.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
I went for a three hour ride in the mountains over old mining roads that are rarely maintained by the forest service. The ride is stiffer than stock and feels like the tires are over inflated. I was anticipating a smoother ride from the OME shocks but that may not be possible with poly spacers. From my brief experience with the BB, I'd recommend the springs. I might order some springs a get rid of the spacers.

I just had a BB installed with OME shocks. I do the springs if you can afford it. I really didn't want much of a lift with 31 tires. I'm going to take to the hills in a few minutes to test it out. You should be able to find a BB for for less than $320. The Zone BB is just over $200, and it's the same company.

·
Registered
3,524 Posts
You really can't expect a staggering difference if all you're doing is replacing the springs and shocks. People tend to overlook the most important components in a link suspension--the links.

Good springs + good shocks + stock arms (rubber bushings) all around = ride is still loosey goosey

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Would just front lower control arms help improve the ride? If so, which brand? Thanks!

You really can't expect a staggering difference if all you're doing is replacing the springs and shocks. People tend to overlook the most important components in a link suspension--the links.

Good springs + good shocks + stock arms (rubber bushings) all around = ride is still loosey goosey

·
Registered
3,524 Posts
Well, that's 1/4 of the arms so no, not by much. If you want the best of the best, you want Currie JJ's at all ends, including the axle end upper bushings. You won't believe the difference.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
I better start saving, as that's a good chunk of change! In the meantime, I'm going to shop around for some good 2" springs. Thanks for the advice. Have a good one!

Well, that's 1/4 of the arms so no, not by much. If you want the best of the best, you want Currie JJ's at all ends, including the axle end upper bushings. You won't believe the difference.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Rubicon express, sky jacker, rough country, etc.... those are the ones that come to mind and the ones you see. They are also all in the $250 range give or take and all offer upgraded shocks which raise the price a bit. In the case of RE, the price can hit $400.

Just my rear control arms cost more than $400.00...

Why do you think coils would have more driveline vibration than spacers would have?

BDS springs have a good warranty, but they're far from being the best.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It's not the coils but the height. I am just making the comparison that the higher you go the greater the risk of vibration issues. Maybe that is not correct.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Btw, there is nothing on my jeep and the way I use it that would warrant spending 400 bucks on control arms. But I do believe you.

On my Mustang that put over 400 hp to the wheels, control arm upgrades made a lot if sense.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts