Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

BD's throttle sensitivity booster to cure throttle lag

7K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  MMAniac911 
#1 ·
#4 ·
There is. Its called the "sprint booster".

It does work actually. It decreases the delay in the throttle position sensor signal.

My opinion is that it takes the initial pedal signal lets say you open to 10% and sends a signal to open more than the pedal actually is (25%) so that the throttle body motor opens faster to reach the higher commanded demand but it may actually stop at 10%. It should work and its on my list of 1000 jeep mods I need to have. It doesnt actually open the throttle "more" but I think it sends a demand for more throttle making the throttle body open quicker.

#5 ·
There is. Its called the "sprint booster".

It does work actually. It decreases the delay in the throttle position sensor signal.
It can't decrease the delay. The delay is intrinsic to the ECM programming.

It can, and reportedly does, decrease the amount of take-up or initial "dead space" in the throttle pedal travel that you have to overcome before it begins to open the throttle, and also it's reported to have a quicker ramp on throttle position vs. pedal position than the stock sensor alone does. This change, to the mind of many people, gives the sensation of less delay, or fixes enough problem that you don't notice the delay.

#7 ·
It's probably similar to the Sprint Booster. The reason it works with so many vehicles is because all of those vehicles presumable use the same style electrical connector for the pedal. These devices don't do anything vehicle specific. They merely multiply the voltage reading of the pedal sensor by some amount to increase pedal sensitivity.

#8 ·
Just do the free throttle calibration procedure and see if that makes any difference.

Throttle calibration can substantially improve throttle responsiveness over "factory standard." Many people notice what appears to be sluggish throttle response or a "dead area" at initial accelerator depression. Throttle calibration can take care of these.
1) Insert ignition key and turn to "ON" (not start).
2) Wait for all idiot lights to go out. Check Engine Light may remain on.
3) Slowly depress the accelerator pedal all the way to the floor.
4) Slowly release the accelerator pedal until it's all the way back up.
5) Turn the ignition key to "OFF".
6) Start the engine.
Most drivers notice an immediate change in throttle response, but depending on your driving style, you may need to repeat this procedure periodically due to the computer's adaptive programming. You likely need to repeat this procedure any time the battery is disconnected.

#9 ·
The throttle response in the JK is set the way it is for a reason. An overly sensitive throttle makes smooth off road driving very difficult. The stock setup is designed to keep you from having too much, then too little, then too much throttle while you are bouncing around off road.

Mike

#12 ·
The dead space cannot be intended to accomplish this, and also the time delay from application of the pedal until it actually begins to open the throttle, which is on the order of a half a second, is absolutely not intended to improve low speed drivability. It's just poor design in both cases.

I despise this DBW. If there were a simple way to eliminate it and switch to old-school cable operation, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

#13 ·
^^ this!

#15 ·
I don't even know if they make these anymore but my neighbor had an awesome Jeep, he recently sold it but pulled all his things off it first. One thing he had was this BD Diesel throttle sensitivity booster. He even installed it for me (temporarily) and said go try it out. It made a pretty dramatic impact on my 2008 JKU, most noticeably from a dead stop. With steel bumpers, a winch and 35's I got used to my Jeep taking forever to move, I never try to get around someone on the street, etc. I figured oh well that's what I have to work with. Well, with this thing, I barley touch the pedal and it wants to go, in fact when I first played with it, it threw me back in my seat. I'm still a little confused about how it works exactly, it feels more powerful, but I know its not. I still need to make sure my gas mileage etc. doesn't get too low or whatever but so far its pretty bad ass.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.