Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering how much my jeep is worth to someone other than me. 98 tj, 2.5l 4cl, 130k miles. Body is in good condition, new 35inch cooper discovers m/t, new gears, 4inch spring lift and 2inch bb and a bunch of other mods as you can see in the pics has new dvd/cd player, new carpet camo wrapped, with some flaws. It's in great condition for a 98! Give me the price you would sell it for...

Attachments

·
Registered
6,886 Posts
What gears does it have in it and have you driven it? 4 cyl with 35's is going to move like a slug unless it has a serious gear ratio.

BB on top of 4" lift springs is never a good idea. Lots of posts on it. Do a search on coil bind.

6" on short arms is going to ride like crap

To do 35's CORRECTLY there are a lot of things that should be addressed. Do a search on 35's, read then see if they are done on it.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This is my dd, it rides just fine and has no problem getting up to speed and power when needed. I don't know what gears they have the PO put them on.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Unfortunately Big Cole hit the nail on the head. Aftermarket mods typically don't add much if any value unless you find someone who wants what you have. Lookup what a 98 2.5l with your mileage is going for in your area and hope you can get that.

Even worse, some of the mods done might shy away many buyers, particularly those who know what they're looking at. Just seeing the double steering stabilizers and BB stacked on top of the spring lift would make me not interested. On top of that 2.5l can be hard to sell since they're so underpowered.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Hard to tell, but is that rear end a Dana 35? You could be on borrowed time on 35's if it hasn't had some upgrades.

·
I luv bourbonz!
3,105 Posts
$4,500 max for a nearly 15 year old 4 banger. The aftermarket mods add little to no value.
This is pretty accurate... Look for similar rigs (year model, miles, options) in your area and you'll have a pretty good idea of what you can get for it.

People will only pay extra for mods if they know exactly what they're getting. To the average Joe you're just selling a Jeep. To a Jeeper you're selling potential... IF the mods are done correctly and someone else isn't going to have to spend XXX to "fix" things after they buy it.

·
Registered
227 Posts
$4,500 max for a nearly 15 year old 4 banger. The aftermarket mods add little to no value.
Mods can sometimes lower value depending on the person.

Personally, I wouldn't look at a modded jeep unless I knew the person who did the work and/or could determine without a doubt it was done right, no less pay a dime extra.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
I wouldn't buy it, but that aside I probably wouldn't even bother to look at it if it was over $5K. But that's with prices in this area, YMMV. In my opinion it's probably worth closer to $4k, if that.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Just looked up alot of stock 98 tj 4cl here in Florida for 5k with 100miles or more from different sites. So where does that put me at?

·
Registered
8,402 Posts
Okay thanks everyone for the tips! So the number is between 4k and 7k?
Probably...if you check Craigslist in your area, you can see the price range of other early TJ's. Ones that have repeat ads are likely priced too high.

·
Registered
8,402 Posts
Just looked up alot of stock 98 tj 4cl here in Florida for 5k with 100miles or more from different sites. So where does that put me at?
~$5000. Many buyers prefer all stock rather than stepping into someone elses headache (not impying your is). So if you are serious about selling it somewhat fast, I wouldn't go much above what local people are willing to pay.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I would rather find a stock one but I agree 5,500 would be max.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts