Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a 2011 to flat tow behind my RV. We went to OBX and did some beach driving. I have a couple of questions based on my experience. First, the Jeep did great. No slipping or hanging up in the sand. I saw many trucks get stuck in the deep, loose sand exiting the beach. I ran 18lbs tire pressur. My questions:

1) When I went about 2.5 miles I stopped and thought something smelled hot. The dealer painted the frame and possibly the muffler black so it could be hot paint. It smelled similar to brakes. I just had the the emergency brakes replaced prior to the trip. Additionally, I got a misfire, P0304 and hot transmission code at one point. I let it cool down and reset the codes and they haven't come back. I started driving in 1st gear and had RPM between 1600-2000 thinking this would keep torque converter locked.

2) What is the best way to drive in heavy sand? I ran in Drive then tried 1st gear thinking it might keep converter locked up and better RPM for tq curve.

Thanks!

·
Registered
190 Posts
Were you in 4h or 4l? 4l tends to heat things up a bit depending on speed and effort. I use 4h and have never had a problem here in DE where the sands is much softer and thicker than obx traditionally is .

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
With an automatic in the sand around here, always 4L. Too many stories of transmissions overheating and the oil vents out and catches fire. I have been on the beach 4 years and know of 2 JKs that burnt. Don't know if that was the exact cause, but that was the story going around. Had a Police truck burn this weekend. He got stuck on a 100* plus beach.

Also, press and hold the traction button till you hear the chime. Your motor may have been fighting your nanny.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Were you in 4h or 4l? 4l tends to heat things up a bit depending on speed and effort. I use 4h and have never had a problem here in DE where the sands is much softer and thicker than obx traditionally is .

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
I was in 4H.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
With an automatic in the sand around here, always 4L. Too many stories of transmissions overheating and the oil vents out and catches fire. I have been on the beach 4 years and know of 2 JKs that burnt. Don't know if that was the exact cause, but that was the story going around. Had a Police truck burn this weekend. He got stuck on a 100* plus beach.

Also, press and hold the traction button till you hear the chime. Your motor may have been fighting your nanny.

Wow! Never heard of that. I turned off the traction control but I didn't hear any chime. I held the button a few seconds. How long should I have held it? Thanks!

·
Registered
96 Posts
I smelled something hot after my first drive on the beach, too (2016 6-speed manual in 4H, mostly 2nd gear at 15-20mph). Assumed it was hot transmission fluid. I've smelled the same thing in other cars after a long climb up a mountain road in a low gear. I stopped and rested it awhile, and it was fine. Not sure if there are any error codes...guess I'll find out the next time I visit the dealer.

Reactions: DougM7

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Wow! Never heard of that. I turned off the traction control but I didn't hear any chime. I held the button a few seconds. How long should I have held it? Thanks!
I installed the cutoff switch mod so it's been a while. I think you need to be in 4L and hold the switch 7 seconds.

Reactions: DougM7

·
Registered
96 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts