Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2015 Wrangler Unlimited that is completely stock. This summer I'll be vacationing on the Outer Banks of NC where you can drive on the beach (Very Loose Sand). How does a stock wrangler with the 255/75r17 tires perform in sand? I wanting to do a TF Leveling and put some 295/70r17 Trail Grapplers on it but was wanting to wait until after my vacation.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I have a 2015 Wrangler Unlimited that is completely stock. This summer I'll be vacationing on the Outer Banks of NC where you can drive on the beach (Very Loose Sand). How does a stock wrangler with the 255/75r17 tires perform in sand? I wanting to do a TF Leveling and put some 295/70r17 Trail Grapplers on it but was wanting to wait until after my vacation.
Unless your attempting to drive up sand dunes the stock tires will do fine (I see people out there with cars on gas saving street tires that do fine).

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
You will do fine with a stock Wrangler, if you air down your tires. They use stock Wranglers for their wild horse tours and let the tourist drive them around.
When the temps get real hot, the sand gets real loose. Stay out of the deep areas, just follow the trails

·
Build Thread Queen
13,189 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My wife's complete stock JKU did fantastic in deep loose sand at island beach state park in NJ last year. I aired down to 18psi. Not even a hint of getting stuck.
How low in psi can I go before I risk busting the bead on the tire. That's the last thing I'd want to risk doing on the beach; it'd suck to change a tire on sand

·
Registered
232 Posts
Love driving in the sand!

Have driven thru patches here, past F-150s stuck in 4-Hi, when I'm unsure, I just go ahead and put in 4-Lo and crawl. Haven't yet felt need to air down. I'd check out and observe what the locals are doing.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I'm assuming traction control needs to be off?
Left it on til I needed 4WD--can't remember if it's 4-Hi or 4-Lo that automatically turns it off. Short answer--you really don't need to do anything.

I did follow a "better safe than sorry" tip and, after I went back in 2WD, found a stretch to drive in reverse about 40 ft to ensure everything disengaged.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Air down, I have driven the beaches in the OBX and the sand is loose and can be deep. If you don't air down you may have problems.

·
Build Thread Queen
13,189 Posts
For what it's worth, the first link I posted is specific to OBX and it has the tire pressures recommended down toward the bottom of the page. Also has info on the permits you need.

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
Left it on til I needed 4WD--can't remember if it's 4-Hi or 4-Lo that automatically turns it off. Short answer--you really don't need to do anything.

I did follow a "better safe than sorry" tip and, after I went back in 2WD, found a stretch to drive in reverse about 40 ft to ensure everything disengaged.
4 low turns off the traction control.

There is no point in running in reverse after you go back into 2 wheel drive in a JK. You can do it if it makes you feel better but it is completely pointlessly unless you have done a free spinning hub conversion.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.