Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, just a quick question, I'm running my stock JK wrangler SR-A tires and am about to drive on a beach, do i need to air down? Its my first time on a beach and I'm not sure if i should air down, cuz i don't have a pump and there are no air pump stations near by, so its at least 10 miles to the nearest gas station with an air pump.

Thanx :D

·
Build Thread Queen
13,193 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Your question do I need to air down. It depends on the sand you will be driving on. Daytona FL you could drive your car on. Jersey shore you need to air down. All the years I have driven on the beach I have learned experience. Knowing how to drive on sand, snow, mud
Experience is your best tool. What I would advise you to do is air down. It will make driving on sand much easier. Just make sure you have a shovel. Lots of luck.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanx guys. So i decided to risk it and not air down, see what happens. I did buy a shovel like you guys mentioned. Jeep did good, drove about a half mile in low 3rd gear along the beach. I did feel allot of resistance and assuming with tires aired down some if that resistance would be eliminated.

image-4234167073.jpg

·
Premium Member
16,872 Posts
Your Jeep works harder than it has to. Airing down won't eliminate but it minimizes resistance. More fun aired down because You work less too.
I go to about 20lbs when out on the OBX.
If its High Tide and I'm up in the sugar sand - being aired down makes ALL the difference. Jeeps do great out there!
Only problem can be finding routes around all the stuck rigs.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I want to drive on the beach in my Rubi.South Carolina beaches say no..
I did drive my Wife`s old 2005 Expedition on the beach in Saint Augustine Fl. years ago went well with traction control on.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
I felt myself bogging down in 4 HI last week in OBX. Didn't air down but it was raining pretty good. Came to a stop, pushed the trac control button for about 7 -8 seconds until ESC OFF lit up on the odometer. Thing drove great then.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thanx guys. So i decided to risk it and not air down, see what happens. I did buy a shovel like you guys mentioned. Jeep did good, drove about a half mile in low 3rd gear along the beach. I did feel allot of resistance and assuming with tires aired down some if that resistance would be eliminated.

View attachment 2195433
Based on your picture, looks like you didn't even need 4WD...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts