Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Live in Greenville SC. I know it's not legal to drive on beaches in sc, but I know it's LEGAL in NC. Are there certain beaches in NC that allow you to drive and camp on the beach? If anyone has any knowledge if this please let me know!

·
Registered
616 Posts
You can drive on Ft.Fisher, however there is no camping or fires allowed.

You can also dive on Carolina beach and fires and camping is permitted.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Anyone know of any that are somewhat near to the border of SC and NC? Carolina beach is a pretty good drive from Greenville

·
Registered
383 Posts
From what I've heard, NC in the outer banks area, not completely sure where, haven't researched it, I do know you need a permit, but here in Va. and Md. Assateague Island National Seashore, there's 4 miles on the VA side and 12 miles on the Md side, you need a OSV permit, $90 get you a pass for both states, and you can have dogs in Md, next summer I'll check the OBX out, hth's

·
Premium Member
694 Posts
Just did the drive a few weeks ago from Greenville to the obx in nc. You don't need a permit for Corolla, but do for the beaches south of nags head. There is no camping where you wheel, but they have campgrounds right off of the water and not far from the 4x4 beach entrances. Most of the beaches close at line 9 or 10, except on the bay side, they are 24 hour wheeling, however they are a lot smaller. The permit is like $50 for the week.
Took us right at 8 hours on the way there and back to get out to kitty hawk where we stayed.

·
Premium Member
694 Posts
nice, how was the sand, packed or all soft, looks packed in the pic,
It really depended on the beach. Some were soft and others were packed. I ended winching out a few trucks that got stuck in some of the deep entrances.

·
Registered
357 Posts
There is Freeman Park at Carolina Beach. $20 a day and they allow camping. The sand is pretty deep in places. It's can be busy on nice weekends.

·
Premium Member
694 Posts
Are you sure you can drive on that beach? the sign says otherwise.:jawdrop:
The sign was for the dunes past that sign. They block off certain areas all throughout the OBX.

·
Registered
188 Posts
We head out to Ocracoke Island a couple times a year. You can't camp on the beach, but the campground is 75 yards from it across the dunes. You have to get a permit to drive on the beach though. $50 for a week, or $125 for the season. Ocracoke's a pretty neat place with all sorts of fishing and entertainment. Great for 3 day weekends.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Freeman park is big fun, drive, camp and cook. You can drive out on Carolina beach south end (fort Fisher) and grill with gas but no camping, it also closes at 7pm. I work in Greenville but live in Wilmington so if any of you go let know!

·
Registered
176 Posts
Live in Greenville SC. I know it's not legal to drive on beaches in sc, but I know it's LEGAL in NC. Are there certain beaches in NC that allow you to drive and camp on the beach? If anyone has any knowledge if this please let me know!
freeman park , carolina beach is the bomb

1 - 18 of 18 Posts