Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm hoping for some valuable information here, but realistically prepared for lots of flaming and unproductive comments.

I don't want or need beadlock wheels, but love the style and appearance of the ATX Chamber Pro and Slab wheels, also the Trail Ready beadlocks. So, I have some questions. I don't want the "book says this" answers. I'm looking for practical/logical information from people who have hands on real life experience. I plan on running a 35" or 37" AT/RT tire. I need to keep this Jeep very highway friendly as that's the majority of its duty. I also don't need any "extra" advice on how to set up my axles, gears, driveline, suspension, etc.

1) IF I am forced to buy a beadlock wheel, is it feasible/comfortable to drive it down the highway? Will they need to be balanced? Or just run balance beads?

2) CAN you mount a tire in the traditional manner on any beadlock wheels? Not actually using the lock ring. Will they be super difficult to balance if this is possible?

3) Is there any options for traditional mount wheels that have a similar looking rock ring to a beadlock?

Thanks in advance for those who choose to respond with helpful info.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
1) Just run beads or something else in the wheel. (I use Airsoft pellets.)

2) I doubt it, at least on beadlocks that are actually useful for their intended purpose, but others may know better.

3) There are a lot of fake beadlock wheels out there. Perhaps that's what you're really after?

Mark

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
24 Posts
1. Yes, I have beadlocks and they run just as well as any wheel I have ever had on the highway (AEV Borah), just more maintenance. You need to check the torque on the beadlock bolts periodically. Mine balanced just like any traditional wheel.

2.Not on every one, but the AEV Borah and the Mopar beadlock can be mounted traditionally or as a beadlock. They have the option of a trim ring or a beadlock ring.

3.They are many fake beadlock wheels and the options I mentioned above. Also it does not have a ring but the atx 195 cornice looks like a Hutchinson beadlock.

·
Premium Member
7,353 Posts
Level 8 Bully Pro and Tracker Pro wheels all have bolt on rings but mount the tires traditionally.

·
Registered
361 Posts
1) yes my KMC Machetes are on my DD, balanced with stick on weights and dont have an issue

2) besides the AEV/Mopar wheel, Ive not seen another wheel that you can mount both ways, but to change from traditional to beadlock you have to dismount the tire

3) Sota Offroad/BMF also makes the a couple wheels like the D.R.T. that has an optional bolt on bead protection ring, I ran those before I got my KMCs

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
615 Posts
I'm running beadlocks, but they are a little different. They have a sacrificial rock ring that looks like it is what holds the tire on, but it isn't. The beads are set just like a regular wheel. Then, you deflate the tire and break the back bead. Then you install the 3 aluminum pieces inside the wheel the sandwich the tire between the wheel and them. Then you set the rear bead again. They give you DOT beadlocks that don't affect the balancing of your tires, and that don't require the normal maintenance of beadlocks.

B.A.D. Wheels Eklipse 17's.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts