Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else have a tub mounted firestik?
I'd love pics or advice for antenna mounting.
I bought the firestik mount and spring and antenna. I can't get my antenna to pass the bearcats diagnostic test. I'm assuming it is a ground issue and also the cause of the extremely high swr readings and inability to tune the antenna. I've tried just about every combination of the parts I can come up with and even copied a setup I found online. I'm lost.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Which Firestick mount did you buy?

Where did you mount it?

Do you have a good ground?

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Emailed the company last night. Haven't heard back. Gotta go adjust my timing,run new brake lines and do brakes. I'll throw a meter on it while I'm at it.

·
Registered
157 Posts
From the pictures, it doesn't look like you have an adequate ground.

One of the screws is rusted. So you are relying on just one.

They put multiple holes in the mount for a purpose.

You also might check the coax for a short between the center and ground and continuity from end to end.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the input. I had to break it down to singular components and check continuity as I put them back on. I ended up removing on nylon washer and adding a rubber one and it sorted itself out. It was weird. I never would have figured it out without a meter.
As soon as I got it right my swr readings went from anywhere from 6-8 to 3-4 inside a garage and I was instantly able to pick up the weather stations.
I took it out outside and gave the antenna a quick tweak and got the swr readings to 1-1.79
Should be golden.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts