Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
21 - 40 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
And here's my favorite pic so far! One thing to note, is, that a week or so before I installed the AEV lift, I added 1.5" Spidertrax wheel spacers.

I haven't wired the winch nor installed the rope yet, as I hadn't decided how I wanted to wire it up yet. I've since decided to go with a solenoid interrupt kit, and will be doing that this Saturday. I also have D-Rings for the front, but I was waiting for isolators to arrive so I don't have clanking!

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
For those who may be considering doing their own lift install, if you are mechanically inclined at all, I say go for it, especially with a 2" or less spacer lift. Plan ahead. Know what tools you'll need for your kit. Sockets and wrenches....make sure you have enough of each size. Torque wrench and breaker bar are a must!! My buddy and I did it in about six hours, with one beer break(we prepared for the JKS disconnects too). It's somewhat exhausting work. Being under the Jeep torquing bolts to 125lbs will wear you out quickly!! Afterwards we had to go to his house and setup a new trampoline. I was DONE by the end of the day!!

The bumper was fairly easy, hardest part was getting the Jeep's mounting holes lined up with the new bumper's bolts. I had to do some rotary tool grinding on the holes to get the bolts to line up, as I didn't have a ½" drill bit, not that I could find anyway. A stone on the Rotozip took care of it after a few attempts.

I couldn't be happier with the way it's turning out so far. When I leave work and walk to the parking lot, I see her at a certain angle that just makes me go "Damn, that's mine!!"!!!

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Another thought I've been meaning to post. This is my 'build theory"!:

I took my stock Jeep to Rausch a few weeks after I got it. I was instantly bitten. I knew I was hooked! Met a few other new Jeepers there. I went to Rausch again with one of them. He and his wife have a brand new Rubi with 37's. I led and the Rubi followed me. We went through some fairly crazy stuff, for newbies anyway! Very technical stuff for stock, I had to be very careful in many places, choosing my lines properly. I would get through something, then watch the Rubi on 37's just glide through it! I thought to myself, "they aren't really going to learn much bout handling their vehicle". Most was too easy for them. It got me thinking about my build progression. I knew I wanted more than stock, but I didn't want to go crazy right away and muscle my way around the trails. So that's why I went with 34's and and 2" lift for now. I want to learn as much as possible about handling technical trails. I'll add skids and such as my levels increase, and I will slowly prepare Bear for future upgrades. Eventually I know I will go to a full suspension lift with 35's and lockers! And I'll prepare for that. I'll strengthen the front D30 at some point before 35's. Possibly re-gear too. I'll hold out at least until my 34's wear down enough.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Synergy tie rod is in! Man, it was a lot more work than expected. Mostly in removing the factory tie rod. I watched several videos, and they all make it seem so easy! Sure, just whack the steering ends with a heavy hammer, the rod ends will just pop out....NOT! I couldn't tell you how many times I whacked that damn thing until it finally dropped out. I was using a 3lb dead blow hammer. Maybe a larger hammer would have made it easier, but that's the heaviest one I had on hand.
Another complication was that in the instructions, it says to remove the u-bolts from the steering stabilizer bracket. Well, let me tell you...a 2016 Wranger's steering stabilizer bracket does NOT have said u-bolts! The bracket is bent around the tie rod, with a single nut/bolt to cinch it up. To remove the bracket, I had to separate the driver's side end, and beat the bracket off with a hammer! After that, it was easy sailing!
Oh and for the castle nuts on the tie rod, they are 1 3/4" nuts...everyone has that size socket, right?!

All in all this seems like a great, solid product. I like that the end boots are serviceable, unlike the factory ones.

I emailed Synergy to let them know of the 2016 discrepancy.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Finished painting my diff covers. Paint needs to cure so I'll wait until the weekend to install. Super happy with how these turned out.

Oh and the boxes in the background, Polk db series speakers to replace the factory crappy ones. Very nice upgrade!

Attachments

·
Registered
160 Posts
Yesterday, Bear got new shoes!! I was settled on the KO2's, and wanted the biggest increase I could get with keeping the stock rims, and not have to worry about rim width issues. I heard all the warnings about them not being a true 34" tire, but they still measured 2" greater than the stock 245/75/17's, proven by before & after measurements, and I'm happy with that!
So far no rubbing issues. The fronts are very close to the sway & bumper parts at full turn. Rears clear fine even at full compression against the bump stop. I'm seriously considering wheel spacers for some more wiggle room and a bit wider stance. I'll be adding a ¾" coil spacer to front when I prepare for a new bumper & winch.
View attachment 2844073

View attachment 2844081

Thanks!!
View attachment 2844089

View attachment 2844097

View attachment 2844105
Nice build!!! Your rig looks awesome! I am also looking to go 34KO2. How does it fit the tire carrier? Any pics?

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Nice build!!! Your rig looks awesome! I am also looking to go 34KO2. How does it fit the tire carrier? Any pics?
Thank you!

It fits the tire carrier perfectly. The top of the tire sits right at the bottom of the third brake light. And I've had no issues mounting it back on the carrier. I'm guess it might be the largest tire you can put on the stock carrier without changing anything.
No pics, but I'll try to get some later.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Installed the Poison Spyder diff covers over the weekend. Did the rear first. I did disconnect the driver's side rear track bar mount then zip tied the track bar out of the way. Used Permatex's Right Stuff gasket maker. First attempt was a fail. I didn't have the cover orientated correctly and misaligned the bolt holes. Doh! Several paper towels and some brake cleaner had me starting over pretty quickly! Second attempt very successful. Front cover went on no problem.
I'm amazed at how flimsy the stamped steel stock covers are!

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
Looking good man! I am going to keep an eye out for you when I am out that way.

I am going to make a trip up to Rausch Creek some time this summer. I have never been there, I never seem to find the time.

21 - 40 of 74 Posts