Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
41 - 60 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Thank you Hazysilentops.

I should probably do another update!

I've added front lower adjustable control arms. My caster was super low from the lift, and it was bothering me. Went with C.O.R.E. 4X4 arms in charcoal. They are pretty solid and have a lifetime guarantee against breakage, can't beat that!
Installed a Tuffy security deck in the back.
Made DIY paracord grab handles
Installed a SpiderWebShade
Replace all speakers with Polk's
Put away the steel doors and running with BesTop Element doors w/enclosure panels, and soft uppers for the rain.

I am not happy with my lift choice. Not a problem with the kit, it does what it's supposed to do, but it was a poor choice on my part for my intentions. Adding the weight of a steel bumper + winch to a spacer lift was not a good idea! I can "feel" the weight taxing the stock coils, a lot. It drives me nuts! So I'll be swapping out the AEV spacer kit, most likely for a RK 2.5 stock mod, just a matter of when. I'll probably wait until I'm ready to go to 35's. Or 37's. No, stay with 35's. But 37's!!! UGH!!!!!

I'll get some new pics up soon.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Update time! I have tons of trail pics and such to post, but that will have to wait until I have time to process pics & vids from the phone and GoPro.

As mentioned in my last post, the stock springs were suffering from the weight of my bumper and winch. I ended up pulling the AEV spacer pucks and the stock springs, and replace with Rock Krawler 1.5" springs. They are the springs that come in the 1.5" stock mod kit, 2" front, 1" rear. As soon as they were in I went for a test drive. My driveway has a decent dip at the bottom, and as soon as I hit that I knew. I just knew it was all better! The new springs made it so that I couldn't feel ANY extra weight at all. Super happy with this.
Next move is shocks. Sometime before Rancho's Shocktoberfest ends I'll be getting the RS5000's or RS7000's, haven't decided which yet. RS7000's sound good for my preferences, but the RS5000's are easier on the wallet!

Also added an American flag grill insert in black/grey from underthesuninserts.com and I love it!

Installed Tuffy underseat lock boxes on both sides, and the Tuffy hood lock, all matching lock codes!!

Armor. Need some armor! Torn on what to get. Beating up my stock gas tank skid pretty badly, but that oil pan exposure!!! Might just do it all at once. Strongly considering Rock Hard aluminum, at least for the gas tank skid, but damn that's hard to swallow the cost. Alternate is the Rubicon Express gas tank skid, just yesterday learned that their skids are USA made too! But then I'm just like, go full Rock Hard setup!! But right now on my QT wishlist I have the RE gas tank skid, the MORE oil pan & tranny skid, and the RH evap skid.
And my front lower control arm frame side brackets...yeah those aren't looking too good anymore!!

Oh, Fluid Film, did the whole undercarriage after a good wash/dry post-OBX trip. That stuff is pretty cool!

·
Registered
467 Posts
SO what did you end up doing with your AEV spacer lift?

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
SO what did you end up doing with your AEV spacer lift?
I still have it. I have new shocks sitting on my table right now. I'm going to paint the shock bodies because they are Rancho red & white and I don't want bright white shocks under my black Jeep!!
Once the shocks are in, hopefully tomorrow(if not, next weekend), I'll have all the AEV parts pulled and I'll be looking to sell the kit.

·
Registered
467 Posts
I still have it. I have new shocks sitting on my table right now. I'm going to paint the shock bodies because they are Rancho red & white and I don't want bright white shocks under my black Jeep!!
Once the shocks are in, hopefully tomorrow(if not, next weekend), I'll have all the AEV parts pulled and I'll be looking to sell the kit.
let me know when you get to that point. and if you would be interested in helping on the install (all my tools are still in GA) and if you would be interested wheeling some time. i am enroute to PA now. Stopping over in Richmond, VA for a night then will be up there tomorrow, starting work monday.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
let me know when you get to that point. and if you would be interested in helping on the install (all my tools are still in GA) and if you would be interested wheeling some time. i am enroute to PA now. Stopping over in Richmond, VA for a night then will be up there tomorrow, starting work monday.
I certainly will let you know. Minor delay, I opened the box of shocks and only the fronts were in there! Hopefully the rears come this week and I can install next weekend.
Are you the guy moving to the Aston area? Not too far from me, maybe 1.5 hours. We could install in my driveway.
I haven't been to Rausch in several weeks, would like to get out once before the snow comes. And then again when the snow arrives:happyyes:

·
Registered
467 Posts
I certainly will let you know. Minor delay, I opened the box of shocks and only the fronts were in there! Hopefully the rears come this week and I can install next weekend.
Are you the guy moving to the Aston area? Not too far from me, maybe 1.5 hours. We could install in my driveway.
I haven't been to Rausch in several weeks, would like to get out once before the snow comes. And then again when the snow arrives:happyyes:

Yikes, i am sure that was quite a surprise! not sure where we are moving actually. my wife and kid are still in GA, waiting to get her start date, sell the house, etc. i start work tomorrow in avondale. i will be staying in aston at my cousins house until the fan moves up. i want to take the classes at raunsch. looks pretty neat. i am staying in kennet square for next two days then heading to aston for the foreseeable future. looking forward to meeting up.

Sal

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
Yikes, i am sure that was quite a surprise! not sure where we are moving actually. my wife and kid are still in GA, waiting to get her start date, sell the house, etc. i start work tomorrow in avondale. i will be staying in aston at my cousins house until the fan moves up. i want to take the classes at raunsch. looks pretty neat. i am staying in kennet square for next two days then heading to aston for the foreseeable future. looking forward to meeting up.

Sal
Ok cool. I think we chatted on another thread. Yes definitely take at least the 101 course @ Rausch. It's money well spent. I did the 201 too. I want to do their winch & recovery class next.

Yes I was a little shocked (ha, pun intended!)!! I was all ready to prep and paint them. The vendor quickly took care of it and I should have the rears tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
Time for an update.
So, not that I hate my BFG 34x10.5 KO2s, the have performed quite well. However, I've been dying to get 35's. I was seriously debating going for it, since it is tax return and work bonus season. But, wasn't so sure I wanted to drop the coin yet. And then it happened. A buddy of mine listed his 35's for sale!! I just couldn't pass up the deal. He gave me an excellent price, and we did the work in his buddy's very nice and well equipped garage. Getting the spidertrax spacers off was no easy task!! And WOW they sold quickly! Sold the spacers for $50 and a complete AR lower.
Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ in 315/70/17, with 1/2 their tread life left on Black Rock 17x9 997 steelies, with a bit of trail rash, but that's all good.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
They got on just in time for my next Rausch trip. The difference with the MTZ versus the KO2 on the trails was quite noticeable. The KO2 always did well for me, but the MTZ was definitely better. Much more grip on the rocks.
Here she is on top of Crawler Ridge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

41 - 60 of 74 Posts