Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
61 - 74 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
So with the 12.5" wide tires now, one thing I noticed right away was the front axle shift from my lift. Wasn't noticeable with the 10.5" KO2s. So time for an adjustable front track bar! Rock Krawler track bar installed. Not much to show, but look at the difference between stock!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
Now the down side. These MTZs are LOUD!!! Last week there was good weather here. Driving home with the windows down, music volume up, get on the highway to head home, I couldn't hear a damn thing besides the tires!! Holy Crap!! What will it be like with the soft top on and doors off!!!!
Simple fix. I'll just put the KO2s back on with the stock rims, the swap them back out for the MTZs when I go wheeling. Good plan, right?! NOPE!! Stock wheels won't work with the Synergy tie rod. So, just ordered a set of Black Rock 17x8 Yuma alloys for the KO2s. This way, I'll get good use out of my KO2s, have a quieter ride and better mileage, but still be good for just about any terrain. And I can make the MTZs last quite a while.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Did you do gears or axle reinforcement for the 315's?

·
Super Moderator
16,571 Posts
@RuDawg7890

So we don't clutter up too many threads, I wanted to take a look at your install... It looks in this photo like you have 2" bump stop extension installed on top of the front spring perch. Is this still your set up?

We make a lot of recommendations on set up and most of us haven't had a chance to test EVERY lift kit and set up. So some of the recommendations are based on logical deduction from a variety of experiences. I personally haven't run flats, but there is a fair amount of data available to ID what should work and what shouldn't, if that makes sense.

And it's particularly interesting to me at the moment as I am planning a 2dr build for myself and 35's and flats are part of the equation...

·
Super Moderator
16,571 Posts
@Pressurized

The bump extensions I had previously were part of the AEV spacer lift I originally installed, which I removed all parts and sold.
Currently running RK 1.5" springs, Rancho 5000 shocks, JKS quick discos, and the RK front track bar. No bump stop extensions, at the moment.
Ok, got it. What is your current shock set up? Stock length?

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
Ok, got it. What is your current shock set up? Stock length?
Shocks are RS5329 & 30. Not sure of the lengths of them, but they are meant for the smallest of lifts. Believe they are only an inch or so longer than stock.

But you won't see bright white shocks under my Jeep, I rattled canned them black!

·
Super Moderator
16,571 Posts
Shocks are RS5329 & 30. Not sure of the lengths of them, but they are meant for the smallest of lifts. Believe they are only an inch or so longer than stock.
29's when compressed are 1" longer than stock Rubicon shocks when compressed and about 1-3/4" longer than sport shocks. As I recall, the 29 shocks bottom out 1/4" before the stock bump stops fully collapse. Normally we say that you need a minimum of 1" bump stop to protect the shocks in that set up.

But, every Jeep is a little different.... Looking forward to seeing what you find out.

:beerdrinking:

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
29's when compressed are 1" longer than stock Rubicon shocks when compressed and about 1-3/4" longer than sport shocks. As I recall, the 29 shocks bottom out 1/4" before the stock bump stops fully collapse. Normally we say that you need a minimum of 1" bump stop to protect the shocks in that set up.

But, every Jeep is a little different.... Looking forward to seeing what you find out.

Well first I'll say I really appreciate the advice!

I will admit, when I did my initial tests, I was in a bit of a hurry. And I don't really want to have bump stop extensions! The thought of having them drives me insane!!
Also, at the time of testing, I had the stock track bar. My axle was shifted a little over an inch to driver. Maybe that fooled my results some?

Idk...at any rate, I definitely need to do more thorough testing, and I will certainly get back to you. Probably not until this weekend.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 ·

Ok the verdict is in! The 29s definitely bottom out as you described.
Now here's the funny thing. I could NOT make the tire hit the fender flare! I flexed the axle until the shock bottomed out, and still had a good inch(maybe a little less) between the top of the flare and tire.
Yesterday out on the trails again, in off-camber situations with full stuff, tires hitting the inner liners again.
So, I'll be adding a puck on each side up front soon.

·
Super Moderator
16,571 Posts
It's good to protect those shocks... Funny how some Jeeps are just different. Some Jeeps require 2" bumps up front to keep from hitting the fender brace. Sounds like your 1" to protect the shocks and no issues with fenders.

There isn't an exact science to these Jeep builds when you are looking for max performance. Most lift "kits" over protect and sacrifice some performance...

Reactions: RuDawg7890

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #73 ·
Holy crap it's been a while since I posted! Bear has really grown up in the past year or so. This past spring I bit the bullet and went pretty big. I'll get some pics later, but for now here's what's been done and how she is now:
- 3.5" Clayton Premium short arm lift
- Fox shocks & stabilizer
- Adams 1310 drive shafts front & rear
- Regeared to 4.88
- Eaton E Lockers front & rear
- 37x12.5x17 Maxxis Razr MTs
- Added Rock Hard 4x4 fuel tank skid and transfer case skid
- Relocated evap canister with RH4x4 kit
- Installed Borla climber cat-back exhaust
- added some cheap-o LEDs to my front bumper bar (floods from Amazon, they serve their purpose for now)

In the queue:
- LED Headlights from High Beam Offroad, sitting on my dining room table!

Near future plans (spring?):
- Beadlocks
- Axle shafts
- Dual battery setup
- beadline interior tub
- swap flares with Poison Spyder crushers

·
Registered
467 Posts
Hey Bud. Been a while. I have since sold the AEV pucks we installed way back when. Looks like you have been busy with Bear. Got any new pics?

Holy crap it's been a while since I posted! Bear has really grown up in the past year or so. This past spring I bit the bullet and went pretty big. I'll get some pics later, but for now here's what's been done and how she is now:
- 3.5" Clayton Premium short arm lift
- Fox shocks & stabilizer
- Adams 1310 drive shafts front & rear
- Regeared to 4.88
- Eaton E Lockers front & rear
- 37x12.5x17 Maxxis Razr MTs
- Added Rock Hard 4x4 fuel tank skid and transfer case skid
- Relocated evap canister with RH4x4 kit
- Installed Borla climber cat-back exhaust
- added some cheap-o LEDs to my front bumper bar (floods from Amazon, they serve their purpose for now)

In the queue:
- LED Headlights from High Beam Offroad, sitting on my dining room table!

Near future plans (spring?):
- Beadlocks
- Axle shafts
- Dual battery setup
- beadline interior tub
- swap flares with Poison Spyder crushers

61 - 74 of 74 Posts