Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do I need to beef anything up on my front axle to run 35s? Or is the better question What should I beef up to run 35s?

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
for the front axle I would suggest upper C gussets at a minimum

·
Registered
5,701 Posts
It'a natural concert to think about strengthening the front axle when adding larger tires but the axle housing is not necessarily the weakest link. I'm not suggesting you should "beef" up your JK axle(s) but depending on where and how (aggressively) you drive off road the shafts, bearings and gears may fail long before the axle even approaches its bending point. Unlike older generation Jeeps, 35" tires are not oversized on a JK.

More than one experienced off roader operates successfully with a D30 + 37s + 5.13-5.38 gears (3.8 engine) but they are aware of the weakest link and don't intentionally crank their Jeeps into awkward max droop positions for show or slam on the gas when the wheels are turned and wedged against rocks.

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
I've come to see Spinlock's way of looking at it. Some say sleeves, gussets, trusses, etc. before you see dirt. Others claim the stock axle is good to go up to 37's. I fall somewhere in the middle.

For moderate, judicious use and lighter 33's or 35's, C-gussets are probably cheap insurance. Sleeves/trusses are probably overkill unless your running 80 pound tires and 40 pound beadlocks. Now if you play in big rocks every weekend, you'll probably be better off buying an aftermarket housing at some point. If speed bumps at the mall are your idea of "wheeling" then do nothing and move on with your life.

The severity of your off roading, driving style and wheel and tire weight all can work for or against you. If you realize the axle housing is susceptible to damage under heavy load, you can do things to minimize the chance of damage. Take an honest look at your style of off roading and what you want you rig to do for you and protect it accordingly.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts