Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About 25 years ago I was into 4X4. Building F150s and the old box Bronco. Then got married and the kids came along. Now the kids & wife have moved out and I would like to get back in to 4X4. I am very familiar with the engineering basics of lifting and oversize tires, but not at all with the Jeep Wrangler.

So I see this 2008 Wrangler for sale. It has had many mods and here are a few:
37x13 Open Country MT tires
Rancho 4-inch lift kit
Rancho stabilizer kit
5 Matt Black 18x9 Rockstar rims
Upgraded 5.13 gear ratio
Smittybilt XRC-10 10,000lb winch
So I have a few tech questions:

1. This is not a Rubicon, are the axles strong enough for 37" tires
  2. How about drive shafts and brakes?
  3. With the 4" lift, should there be any special considerations for drive shaft angles?
  4. How about steering geometry?
  5. Anything specific I should look for that is this model specific?
I plan on looking at it this weekend and thought I would first ask the experts!

·
Registered
242 Posts
About 25 years ago I was into 4X4. Building F150s and the old box Bronco. Then got married and the kids came along. Now the kids & wife have moved out and I would like to get back in to 4X4. I am very familiar with the engineering basics of lifting and oversize tires, but not at all with the Jeep Wrangler.

So I see this 2008 Wrangler for sale. It has had many mods and here are a few:
So I have a few tech questions:

1. This is not a Rubicon, are the axles strong enough for 37" tires
  2. How about drive shafts and brakes?
  3. With the 4" lift, should there be any special considerations for drive shaft angles?
  4. How about steering geometry?
  5. Anything specific I should look for that is this model specific?
I plan on looking at it this weekend and thought I would first ask the experts!
Welcome!

While there are far more knowledgeable people on this forum I will give my $0.02.

1. Stock Dana 30 is probably fine during times of non off road use. Its when you get into rock crawling or even just moderate trails that you have to start to worry. Myself I run 35s, and didn't feel comfortable, and if your a decent mechanic/welder you can by the kits and install yourself to reinforce your axle (sleeves and gussets). I am not a decent mechanic/welder so I had mine installed cost 400 dollars when I did a re-gear at the same time. I would ask and see if this is already something installed since he had already done gears.

2. Certainly with a 4" lift the drive shaft would have to me aftermarket. If not I would worry about the angles that thing would be at. Something to ask the seller about. As far as brakes, I would assume 37s would cause high wear and tear on stock size rotors. A big brake kit would defiantly make myself feel more comfortable (again if not already installed).

3. See above^.

4. I think the steering Geometry would depend on the lift that was put on, cant really answer too much on this one. But if you dig through the forum there are ALOT of great write ups from people, I think one may be a sticky.

5. I have a 2008 2DR JK mine was a cherry when I bought it, someone took god care of it, so I lucked out there. I would just make sure the top and paint are in good condition. If its a manual possibly with the car off give the clutch a couple good pumps with the door open. Listen for major binding. I had to replace the throw out bearing within 5000 of my purchase, which would have been nice to know before spending a lot on accessories.

·
Registered
4,136 Posts
Depending on how long the 37's have been on, the front hubs may be ready to be replaced. Take it for the a test drive. See if there are any dash warnings lit up. if the hubs start to go bad they will eat the wheel speed sensors. This will throw ESP/BAS/ABS lights.
If the steering wheel is off center, it will throw just the ESP/BAS lights.

Aftermarket steering would be nice, but not necessary. The stock steering is sufficient. It can be worn if none has been replaced.

If the drivelines are stock, check the transmission pan on the driver's side for any damage.

The brakes will have to work harder to stop the 37's. But most folks do not upgrade the brakes.

Find out if the rig has been regeared. '08 came with 4.10s with a tow package. While not the best combination, 4.10s can be ran. You will definitely not when any races. And you will be cancelling O/D on start up.

Bob K.

·
The Bad Guy
23,245 Posts
2 door or 4? 4" on a 2 is over fatal angle. If it's a 4 door the drive shafts should be fine. Check to see that the CV boots are intact.

·
Super Moderator
53,785 Posts
2 door or 4? 4" on a 2 is over fatal angle. If it's a 4 door the drive shafts should be fine. Check to see that the CV boots are intact.
2 or 4 door front shaft, it ultimately depends on how much caster angle. You could run 0-2° caster but the jeeps going to handle like poop. Driveline will be happy though.
At 4" The rear on a 2 door will need a DS and upper CA's.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
With 50k miles on it and asking price of $15k, it caught my attention. However, you have confirmed my worries - 37s on a 2 door was pushing it a bit. It also has a rebuilt title so I am going to pass on this one. Thanks for all the feedback.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts