Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Doesn't know much
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok. Looking to flush my "heater core," as soon as I get some responses here. Are these the hoses that I'm looking to stick my garden hose onto? The one marked with the yellow and the hose above it. do I pump the water through the hose towards the front of the engine, or towards the inside of the Jeep?

I know no question is a stupid question, so here it goes. My engine coolant looks to be about half full, and a muddy brown. Would this have anything to do with heat? Can I mix it and fill er' up? Should it be flushed and filled?

A thanks in advance to all that reply!

·
Registered
50 Posts
sorry I don't know which way the flow goes. I just replaced my radiator and the coolant was like you described but my heat was working fine.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
drain the coolant and start fresh..... not hard or expensive... y risk it.... as for the heater core flush sorry never done it.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Facing the jeep the valve to drain the coolant is on the left/bottom of the radiator. Put a bucket under it and give it a few turns.

Less than $15 and some peace of mind.

·
Registered
451 Posts
As far as flushing the heater core get a radiator flush. I would fill it up with water and flush it a couple times with that. Let it get up to operating temp with the heat on. drain that out. Use the flush. Drain that out. Flush with water again. Then fill up with 50/50 antifreeze and water.

·
Registered
348 Posts
i flushed my buddies truck just last week. he used "stop leak" and his coolant looked the same. your going to want to flush that for a long time. and make sure the water comming out is clear before you wast ur money and will it up with anti-freeze.

also go to you local auto store and buy a flushing kit for 5.00. it comes with hose clamps and a t fitting for you to screw ur garden hose into. also directions are on the back. if u need further help youtube it. there are a few videos that will help u out.

·
Registered
348 Posts
as of for which hose...when the engine is hot grsb shold of both hoses. the one the is a bit cooler is your out house the one that is warmer = in house.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Personally,
I'd take it to a radiator shop that uses steam to flush and fill it, if you REALLY want it done right?

I did that to my car last year and the heater worked better then ever!

Cost about $65, I think.

Those $5 flush kits aren't even worth the $5.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
cork1958 said:
Personally,
I'd take it to a radiator shop that uses steam to flush and fill it, if you REALLY want it done right?

Cost about $65, I think.

Very good advice here, I've been meaning to do the same. I wouldn't recommend flushing with a garden hose either, the minerals from the tap water will do damage to your cooling system over time (you wont be able to get all of the water out of the system after flushing). This is unless you flush it and flush it again with distilled water several times afterwards

·
Registered
210 Posts
I have read that people who do flush there heater core with the hose method have done so in both directions repeatedely to get thing loose and shaken up.

I dont think the thing to worry about the minerals doing damage as much as cloging the system and either way I think its not that big of a deal.

Also I agree with the total system flush. If you flush just the core it will be clogged again before you know it especially considering how dirty it is.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Very good advice here, I've been meaning to do the same. I wouldn't recommend flushing with a garden hose either, the minerals from the tap water will do damage to your cooling system over time (you wont be able to get all of the water out of the system after flushing). This is unless you flush it and flush it again with distilled water several times afterwards
your coolant is mixed 50/50 with anti-freeze and tap water. it says right on the jug how to do it. and it is deffinitly worth 5 dollars. you can get good pressere with it. Actually i discovered a leak in my buddies radiator house using this. ITS 100% woth it. you will flush some nasty stuff out of your system and possiby find leaks.

·
Registered
881 Posts
I got one of the Radiator flush kits that splice into the top hose for mine. (there was 2 different brands, one was about $12, the other was about $30. They looked the same so I bought the cheapo)
It's basically a T fitting that splices into the hose and has a water hose fitting on top. Hook up a hose, remove the rad cap, and turn on the water. I ran the hose for a few minutes until clean water came out of the rad. then drained it and filled with distilled water. After a few days of driving, I flushed it again and filled with 50/50 mix. Worked great!

·
Doesn't know much
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Personally,

Cost about $65, I think.

Are there shops specifically designed for flushing radiators?

Somebody enlighten me: Is the heater core the radiator? I'm a little confused with all the advice, are those hoses connected to my radiator? If so, do I drain the fluid first from underneath, and then when I pump water through, it will come from where I opened it up to drain the fluid? Do I pump the water through the input hose, the output hose, or both? Is any of this on the right track? :confused:

Sorry, I'm a visual learner!

·
Registered
881 Posts
The heater core is like a small radiator inside the dash. The 2 hoses in your picture take water from the engine to the heater core and back to the engine at the water pump. If you buy the kit it will tell you which hose to install it on, and how to use it.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Your engine coolant system has two radiators. One is in front of your jeep and gets bugs all in it. The other is much smaller and lives inside your cabin. Water runs through both all of the time. When you turn on your heat, all you are doing is allowing air to flow across the radiator inside you cabin ergo warming you up. The smaller one is the heater core. It operates exactly the same as your front radiator and shares the same coolant. Flushing your big one and not flushing your heater core is dumb. About like changing the oil and leaving a dirty filter installed. Most flush kits tao into the heater hose line and will flush both units. Flush em both man it is too cheap to not do.

·
Registered
581 Posts
pull both hose's off the firewall flush in both directions take a air gun and blow air in to remove excess water and don't use a 100 pounds of air you'll blow the heater core up ,refill with distilled water only and anti-freeze or 50/50

·
Registered
6,886 Posts
The small amount of tap water that would remain in the core would not hurt a thing.

·
Registered
6,886 Posts
With regards to how to flush, you want to run the flow opposite the normal path. Any debris that is cought in the core will be on the inlet side. You want to force it back out first. The normal flow path is from the engine into the core and back to the suction side of the water pump. Follow the hoses. One goes to the water pump. That is the outlet hose from ther core.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Most radiator shops can do the flushing the way I mentioned.

Those cheapo flush kits aren't worth squat, IMO. Not nearly enough pressure to REALLY get the heater core unplugged and cleaned thoroughly. I used them a few times as a kid and wouldn't use them again in a million years.

I just did a quick search for radiators shops in Arlington, Va and there seems to be several. Call and ask if they can do this type flushing, or ask if they know who can.

The shop here specializes in this, yes, but also do repairs, etc.

·
Doesn't know much
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks Cork, I'll take a look around, at this stage, anything to get my heat working right!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts