Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had previous Wranglers literally rot out beneath me. I recently got a 2010 Sport with low miles, but the bottom already has lots of rust, not a rotted frame, but certainly rust covered.

3 questions
A. What is the best pre-treatment for prevention?
B. What's the going rate to have a place sandblast and treat it?
C. Has anyone had success with this?

Any input would help, I live in New England, and I think they spray your car with salt as it goes through the car wash up here.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've seen the Eastwoods product that goes inside the frame. Think I'll do that before I treat the outer part. Just trying to get some knowledge.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
16,895 Posts
I've seen the Eastwoods product that goes inside the frame. Think I'll do that before I treat the outer part. Just trying to get some knowledge.
Thanks
Pics always help but, IF there is rust already.... a Quality encapsulater/converter is the way to go. Both those products rely on a layer of existing rust in order to work correctly. I mentioned Eastwood's because I have used it and it works.
IF the rust is just very light surface rust then a product like Fluid Film is a great solution. Again, I've used it and it works.
I've had Both situations and the above mentioned is how I attacked it.

I re-read your thread title, IF the rust has not set in yet - Fluid Film inside/outside is the way to go.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
If it's anything like the last Wrangler I had, angle grinder and POR-15, plus chop and weld some sections. Then again, that was a '95 YJ that spent most of its life in Florida... Like my sig says, more rust than vehicle.
@RubiconSS is as usual correct. If the rust isn't deep yet, Fluid Film inside and out. If it's settling in to the point of pocking up the metal, Converter.

O_E

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just ordered some Fluid Film, had never heard of it, reviews seem pretty positive. I'll keep you posted, and share the info around.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Fluid Film is amazing! The only negative thing you'll hear about it is the smell. But to be honest, it's not that bad. I ran a fan from front to back as RubiconSS said in the sticky post and I can't really smell it anymore. I'll smell it a bit on a really hot day if the sun is on it and the vehicles hot while stopped at a light. Once I start moving again the smell goes away. That's typical behaviour of the FCA Mastershield undercoating product as well. I'll smell that in the same conditions. I'm also really sensitive to smell, and I live with it fine!

·
Registered
688 Posts
The best cure for rust is to prevent it from the start. IE buy new and Fluid Film before the first snow flies. Once it starts there ain't no stopping it. Slow it down but nothings gonna stop it except living in southern Cal or maybe Arizona. Tried sand blasting my CJ7 and repainting, it lasted about 18 months before it started reappearing. Bought a new 15 and Fluid Filmed the snot out of it, I'll do a follow up review here on the Fluid film in about 10 years and let everyone know how it worked. If it worked. Good luck with yours!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts