Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, Im pretty new to doing my own car repairs and of course after getting my first Jeep I cant stop. Only problem is, I want to do it myself..lol. So, for all those tinkers out there..whats a good short list of tools needed to perform basic(tire,oil,brake) to intermediate(Suspension system,exhaust etc..) repairs and mods?

·
Registered
253 Posts
Alright, Im pretty new to doing my own car repairs and of course after getting my first Jeep I cant stop. Only problem is, I want to do it myself..lol. So, for all those tinkers out there..whats a good short list of tools needed to perform basic(tire,oil,brake) to intermediate(Suspension system,exhaust etc..) repairs and mods?
I was always a fan of craftsman mechanics tool set but lately quality has been decreasing. I've found that the new dewalt line of hand tools is really good. Good warranty good quality and they are really stout.

Look into a mechanics tool set from dewalt

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Get a decent socket set, with 1/2", 3/8" and 1/4" drivers, and all the corresponding sockets, extensions, etc. You'll probably spend about $150 or so for something of decent quality, it should have about 150 - 200 pieces. Then grab metric and SAE wrench sets that contain about 12 - 14 wrenches or so each, up to size about 1"/24mm. Then maybe a nice screwdriver set. You can do about 80 - 90% of jobs with something like that.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I own a lot of tools, first set I bought was Snap-On. They are stupid pricey now. I have been impressed with the Kobalt line that Lowes carry and they are affordable. They have some good priced sets but you will still need to fill in on things like hammers, adjustable wrenches, locking pliers and the sort no matter what brand you buy.

·
Registered
10,546 Posts
All my tools were donated to my uncle when he opened up his own shop and moved 300 miles away lol.

I had to start all over so I purchased a set of kobalt 227 tool set when my harbor freight wrenches broke.

I really like the dewalt tool set since they are all 6pt. A few missing pieces here and there but its a good starter.

Craftsman has tons of mechanic combo's but I don't like their wrenches.

·
Commercial Member
1,550 Posts
Go to your local HomeDepot and get the Husky brand tool set such as this,

Husky Mechanics Tool Set (268-Piece)-H268MTS - The Home Depot

Then get a wrench set, breaker bar and torque wrench from Amazon such as this,

http://www.amazon.com/TEKTON-1916-C...=1456950398&sr=8-2&keywords=tekton+wrench+set

http://www.amazon.com/AmPro-T20729-...=1456950447&sr=8-2&keywords=ampro+breaker+bar

http://www.amazon.com/TEKTON-24335-2-Inch-Torque-10-150-Foot/dp/B00C5ZL0RU/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1456950679&sr=8-2&keywords=1%2F2%22+torque+wrench

This should be good enough to do a lift no problem!

If you want a little help and ease, add an 18V cordless power drill and a 1/2" electric impact wrench

Just like one of the posters mentioned above, I am not a fan of Craftsman tools. Husky seems well better built, polished and milled/casted well with good visual markings etc. They are easily warrantied by your local HD stores as well if anything were to happen!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Im lucky I have alot of commingled bits and pieces about I could probably come up with at least half of everything you guys mentioned. What about air tools? I did look at that DeWalt 20v cordless Impact wrench instead, didnt know if a non-air tool was ideal or not. Also what about Jacks? I have a standard 2ton jack but I dont think it can go high enough to do a lift install.

·
Registered
625 Posts
I own the following 201 piece set and think it's the best set for the money...and that's even compared to the hugely discounted sets both Lowes and HD had during Black Friday.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ey tool set&qid=1456951210&ref_=sr_1_3&sr=8-3

First and foremost, they have a lifetime warranty. It's got your 1/4", 3/8", and 1/2" ratchets. Most importantly (to me at least) is that most all the sockets are of the 6pt variety and not the 12pt. The only real negative is that it doesn't have a 3/4" socket.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I would add in a set of ratcheting wrenches. They definitely come in handy in tight places.

Craftsman.com

·
Registered
54 Posts
Here's what I did. Go to Harbor Freight, buy the mechanics toolkit. Whatever breaks or wears-out, buy from someone better. You'll spend the least amount of money and get the tools you'll really need eventually.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I'll add a link to the dewalt set I posted earlier. I own this exact set and paid way more that. Can't beat it quality or warranty wise

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B018W...t+tool+set&dpPl=1&dpID=51i+0aodGZL&ref=plSrch

As others have said add screw drives and maybe a set of channel lok pliers and you should be set

Side note. I invested in a stubby set of combination wrenches a few years ago and I find myself using those more than the full sized ones. I might consider upgrading to ratcheting stubbies

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So, lol I just ran downstairs and took and took everything I have and laid it out, took a quick pic to compare. I believe I have 70% of what needed. Ill have to compare all the suggestions and add to my collections as I see it.

Attachments

·
Registered
99 Posts
I'm in the same boat only I've been wrenching on my own cars for years. Trouble is I always had a car using SAE tools. Now I'm being dragged kicking and screaming into metric.

My big question is the Torx sizes needed. The wrenches and sockets I can figure out but I don't want or think I need 20 sizes when 5 will cover what generally is needed. You pickin' up what I'm puttin' down?

·
Super Moderator
53,784 Posts

·
Registered
5,152 Posts
My suggestion is to start out organized.....and keep it organized...

The more tools you get, the harder that is to obtain. I just started re-organizing 15yrs worth of tools. It is a massive PITA.

Whatever brand you get, get one with a lifetime warranty. Personally I own a bunch of older craftsman and some Kobalt. I prefer Kobalt to much of the newer craftsman stuff.

I'm very careful with what I buy @ HF...It's a personal preference, if it's getting a bunch of torque on it, I don't want it to break. I've broken tools and hurt myself pretty badly. (this is not to say some of those weren't "high end" tools...it's just less likely with a slightly better quality tool.) Also note that I've beaten HF's prices at places like Northern Tool. (and got a better product). Watch the sales and use your coupons ;)

Disclaimer, I'm a huge fan of HF's 42-44" tool chest. IMHO if you're wanting a nice box for less than a grand, buy it. I've got about 600 in my bottom and top boxes combined. they are a very nice product.

Must have's:

1. Gear Wrenches.
2. electric impact driver.
3. nice torque wrench (at least the 1/2" drive)

·
Registered
699 Posts
Besides all the stuff mentioned above (wrenches, ratchets, sockets), I highly suggest to get a compact cordless impact wrench and cordless power ratchet. Those are HUGE time savers!

I've got Milwaukee M12 combo (3/8 brushless impact wrench + 3/8 power ratchet) from HD about a year ago and this is one of the best tool investments I have ever made. Both tools are among the most used for all my DIY automotive projects.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Craftsman mechanics set is a good choice, also the craftsman ratchet set. Craftsman may not be what it once was, but it's a good brand with a lifetime warranty, so you'll always have your tools. That being said, worth checking craigslist for deals on them, since if you buy used, they break, you get a new one

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
I like Husky, Kobalt, and Craftsman because you can just walk into HD, Lowes, or Sears and get a replacement if anything breaks.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts