Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

9121 - 9140 of 9154 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
It's all good.
That size isn't really a standard size for Jeep tires but the slightly smaller 255/80-17 is, and it is a nice size. A little taller than what you have.
Another great option for pizza cutter tires is either the Kenda or Goodyear MT in a 35x10.5-17 / 280/80-17. A little wider than what you have, but still a narrow for its height tire.

https://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/kendas-new-kr601-r-t-in-35x10-5r17-280-80r17-is-out-2351343.html
OK, the linked thread is insightful. I still don't want MTs or (real) 35s, but I saw options for 34x10s and even the 280 80/75 R17s seem really nice.
Both actually measure out at either a bit OVER 34", or a bit UNDER 34"; both good options. The 34x10s are effing' $350 each:jawdrop:

·
Registered
31 Posts
After some feedback and more reading, decide to remove one of the spacers up front. It looks much better. The ride is greater! I’m very happy with the lift, so far. Thanks all.

·
Registered
31 Posts
After some feedback and more reading, decide to remove one of the spacers up front. It looks much better. The ride is greater! I’m very happy with the lift, so far. Thanks all.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey folks, I'm new to asking questions in the WF, but have done several searches within it since I bought my 2017 JKU Big Bear w/6spd last April. It's like Christmas every day.
Quick question and maybe the easiest yet, I'm getting ready to do an AEV BB on it. During the process, I'm going to replace the current suspension with Rubi Recon coils and shocks (6k miles on them) along with the AEV geometry kit. And the question is, how high do I need to lift the vehicle (with the tires still on as a point of reference) to accomplish all this? Due to social distancing, I'm now solo on this install. I don't want to lift it any higher than needed. I appreciate any guidance you can give me.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Hey folks, I'm new to asking questions in the WF, but have done several searches within it since I bought my 2017 JKU Big Bear w/6spd last April. It's like Christmas every day.
Quick question and maybe the easiest yet, I'm getting ready to do an AEV BB on it. During the process, I'm going to replace the current suspension with Rubi Recon coils and shocks (6k miles on them) along with the AEV geometry kit. And the question is, how high do I need to lift the vehicle (with the tires still on as a point of reference) to accomplish all this? Due to social distancing, I'm now solo on this install. I don't want to lift it any higher than needed. I appreciate any guidance you can give me.
Go to the AEV website and look at their installation instructions. I know you are not doing their full lift kit, but the "process" will be the same. The pics will give you ideas....if you are going to be alone, be extra careful man.

·
Super Moderator
4,870 Posts
I find you don't need to lift it too high, as once you lift it high enough to get the wheels / tires off the ground you can then lower the axle farther if you remove the wheels / tires.
So as long as you have jack stands tall enough to hold the chassis up high enough so the tires are just off the ground you should be good.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I did the same job a few years ago, using Rubi Shocks, springs and the teraflex kit on a JKUS. I took the wheels off, to stop the axel. There are some great videos available on YouTube. Wayalife has a very detailed write up with pictures. I could be wrong, but I don’t think you will need the geometry brackets, with the leveling kits/budget boost. You will definitely want a set of Crowfoot wrenches for your ratchet. Search around there’s a lot of info. Have fun and be safe!

·
Registered
5 Posts
That's the answer I was hoping to get. Once the wheels are off, I'm thinking I should have enough clearance for the axle. Be well.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks for the info, Lou. Yea, I think I'm going to be on the edge of needing/not needing the geometry kit, but the guys at RubiTRUX recommended I put it on. And those guys do some tremendous work. Plus, it's inexpensive, although I'm not looking forward to the exhaust pipe challenge. I'm gonna try a work-around I found on this thread.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Thanks for the info, Lou. Yea, I think I'm going to be on the edge of needing/not needing the geometry kit, but the guys at RubiTRUX recommended I put it on. And those guys do some tremendous work. Plus, it's inexpensive, although I'm not looking forward to the exhaust pipe challenge. I'm gonna try a work-around I found on this thread.
I would follow Rubitrux advice before mine! Besides, then you’ll already have the geo no rackets done, when you upgrade to a full lift!

·
Registered
435 Posts
Mechanic who is looking at my car said I need to extend my brake lines with my new lift...as they are too tight when the axle is drooped.

Can you guys help with a solution? Is it as simple as buying just the extended brake line kit from Crown? Is there a better quality product? I have a 3.5" lift.

·
Super Moderator
4,870 Posts
Mechanic who is looking at my car said I need to extend my brake lines with my new lift...as they are too tight when the axle is drooped.

Can you guys help with a solution? Is it as simple as buying just the extended brake line kit from Crown? Is there a better quality product? I have a 3.5" lift.
There are brackets that adjust the mounting of the front lines and rear lines. The rear line brackets are usually just a metal plate that relocates the attachment point for the rear lines to the chassis, moving them down. For the front brackets you can buy an adapter bracket that keeps the stock bracket where the line is attached to the axle but moves it up higher, giving you more slack. Our you can remove the stock bracket from the lines and use something like the TeraFlex brake line bracket.
The stock lines are pretty long, and you should be able to make them work with most 3.5" lifts. Only lifts with really long shocks should NEED new longer lines, as it is really the extended length of the shock that matters when it comes to brake line length. The amount of lift isn't what matters when it comes to brake line length, it is how long the shocks are extended.

·
Vendor
2,864 Posts
We offer brake lines, but a bracket is an option too:

https://www.gorancho.com/products/rockgear/jeep-jk-rockgear/rockgear-extended-length-brake-lines-24-5-inch-front-rs6247.html

https://www.gorancho.com/products/rockgear/jeep-jk-rockgear/rockgear-extended-length-brake-lines-22-inch-rear-rs6248.html

·
Registered
435 Posts
does anyone know what size thread the nut is where the bolt for the rear shocks screws into is? There is 2 of these up under the jeep, which holds the shock up top. I need to tap it as I cross threaded it and can't get the bolt all the way in now on 1 of them.

·
Registered
10 Posts
2.5 to 3.5 lift on 2015 Rubicon 4 Door

Hi,

I am ready to go on my Jeep to lift from 2.5 inches to 3.5 inches. I already have a Rubicon express 2.5 lift with coils and shocks.

From my research on here, what I may need for this Frankenlift is:

1) 1 inch coil spacers front and rear (maybe 1.5 inch on front after adding new bumpers and winch).

2) New shocks to accommodate new height without limiting flex.

3) Adjustable control arms front and rear (maybe just front both and rear upper to start...?).

4) Adjustable track bar.

5) Exhaust spacer and brake line relocation brackets.

Anything else I would need, should get?

I am wondering about adjustable Drag Link. Will steering be affected much from 2.5 inches to 3.5 inches? Will the adjustable drag link fix the issues or is a flip kit necessary (hopefully not, to save $).

Anything else you guys think would be good to install now too? I would like the best ride quality I can get as far as steering, Jeep tracking and driving straight and true.

No issues with driveshaft at this height?

Thanks so much,
Mark

·
Vendor
5,579 Posts
Hi,

I am ready to go on my Jeep to lift from 2.5 inches to 3.5 inches. I already have a Rubicon express 2.5 lift with coils and shocks.

1) 1 inch coil spacers front and rear (maybe 1.5 inch on front after adding new bumpers and winch).

3) Adjustable control arms front and rear (maybe just front both and rear upper to start...?).

4) Adjustable track bar.

I am wondering about adjustable Drag Link. Will steering be affected much from 2.5 inches to 3.5 inches? Will the adjustable drag link fix the issues or is a flip kit necessary (hopefully not, to save $).

Anything else you guys think would be good to install now too? I would like the best ride quality I can get as far as steering, Jeep tracking and driving straight and true.

Thanks so much,
Mark
Hey Mark.

I would do front control arms, rear uppers, new rear cv shaft at this height to make sure you can dial out any vibes, and a no drill top mount drag link from Steer Smarts. You do not want to build in bumpsteer with your project. Make sure you target around 4.5-5 degrees caster for best steering performance.

Have a blessed and prosperous day!

Allen

·
Super Moderator
4,870 Posts
You may need to change your bump stop set up, depending on the compressed length of the new shocks or whether or not you flip the drag link.
The stock drag link is adjustable, but for that much lift you may find you need to flip the drag link, as mentioned. Flipping the drag link goes hand in hand with adding a front track bar bracket to level out the front track bar, which should only be done in conjunction with a flipped drag link. Doing that also tends to require 3" of front bump stop, although I was able to use less when I used the AEV drag link flip kit.
At that height you are more likely to have drive shaft issues than you have now. A front drive shaft would be a good idea.
And I personally would get your extra height by replacing the springs vs adding spacers. You can use spacers, but if you are spending all that money I would want better springs.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Hi,

4) Adjustable track bar.

Thanks so much,
Mark
I did this about 2 weeks ago 2.5 RC to 3.5 TF.

1 spacers are fine/i got new coils not needed
2 yes new shocks
3 rear upper & front lower recommended. (i did all 8 as it saved if done later)
4 yes needed
5 I did not need exhaust spacer, you might (yes brake line brackets are easiest) I ordered crown 3-4 inch new lines for $120 brackets are $30

Flip kit was not necessary for mine, I am driving fine. no need for a new drag link (you can get it down the road) however I already had an adjustable track bar and my tie rod/drag link were in decent shape. Obviously newer is going to possibly get you better steering.

bumpstops are most likely needed unless you have added on your lift already

9121 - 9140 of 9154 Posts