Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

9141 - 9153 of 9153 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hiydi Ho there, I have finaly lifted my 2016 JKU Sport. I went with the rancho 2" lift with the rs9000 shocks. Other than the lift it is pretty much all stock at the moment. Now I am looking at tires. I have done a good amount of reading in this thread. But my question comes as far as rubbing. I have the factory alloy rims on it still. I was considering keeping them if fitment allows. I would rather not run wheel spacers for many reasons, one of the main is that for the price of a quality wheel spacer I can just replace the rim with a steel rim with correct backspacing. At the moment I am looking at the Milestar Patagonia A/T R tires. The two sizes I am looking at are as follows:

LT315/70R17 (35X12.50R17LT)22801000121/118QROWLD/819/32"9.508.00 - 11.0012.734.7

Or

285/70R1724695003117TBWSL13/32"8.507.50 - 9.0011.532.8

I do know that if I go with the second option it will be pretty much the exact same size as stock except 1.5" wider. I would prefer to go with the larger tire size but I am a little worried about fitment. What are your opinions.

Thanks in advance 🍻🍻

·
Super Moderator
4,870 Posts
My two cents.
If you go with tires that wise, especially the 315/70, you will need either spacers or different wheels.
above a 275 you start to run the risk of tire rub from the width and you need to space the tires out, either with spacers or wheels with less backspacing.

·
Registered
12 Posts
My two cents.
If you go with tires that wise, especially the 315/70, you will need either spacers or different wheels.
above a 275 you start to run the risk of tire rub from the width and you need to space the tires out, either with spacers or wheels with less backspacing.
That is what I was worried about. Do you have any recommendations of how much backspacing would be ideal?

Or, do you have any recommendations on a narrower but tire somewhat close to the height of the 34.5" tire i previously listed? Trying to stay with a somewhat budget conscious tire while still having decent ratings.

·
Super Moderator
4,870 Posts
That is what I was worried about. Do you have any recommendations of how much backspacing would be ideal?

Or, do you have any recommendations on a narrower but tire somewhat close to the height of the 34.5" tire i previously listed? Trying to stay with a somewhat budget conscious tire while still having decent ratings.
There are a few options. Either spacers (use a quality spacer and you should be fine) or go with wheels that have between 4.5" and 5.2" of backspacing and you should be fine.
There are some nice options that don't break the bank, like the stock looking options from Quadratec.
Pay attention to the weight of the wheel, it should be hub-centric, and look for backspacing in the range listed. In my opinion, avoid wheels that have two or more sets of holes, they are fairly common generic wheels made to fit multiple vehicles with multiple wheel stud spacings. Avoid those, look for wheels that are made to fit a Jeep Wrangler.

There is an option of going with a 34 or 35 inch tire that is around 10" wide. Kenda and Goodyear both make tires in that size range. The Kenda option is inexpensive and has a good AT tread. I like the look of the Goodyear MT, but I would not buy them. Too many issues with them in my opinion, and I don't need a MT tread. We wheel pretty hard, but not often in mud. So a mud tire isn't very useful for us.
Not sure how well they would clear, you might have to trim the plastic air dam. It would be tight, slightly wider than 275.
A 275/80-17 would be perfect, but they aren't a common size.

·
Registered
12 Posts
There are a few options. Either spacers (use a quality spacer and you should be fine) or go with wheels that have between 4.5" and 5.2" of backspacing and you should be fine.
There are some nice options that don't break the bank, like the stock looking options from Quadratec.
Pay attention to the weight of the wheel, it should be hub-centric, and look for backspacing in the range listed. In my opinion, avoid wheels that have two or more sets of holes, they are fairly common generic wheels made to fit multiple vehicles with multiple wheel stud spacings. Avoid those, look for wheels that are made to fit a Jeep Wrangler.

There is an option of going with a 34 or 35 inch tire that is around 10" wide. Kenda and Goodyear both make tires in that size range. The Kenda option is inexpensive and has a good AT tread. I like the look of the Goodyear MT, but I would not buy them. Too many issues with them in my opinion, and I don't need a MT tread. We wheel pretty hard, but not often in mud. So a mud tire isn't very useful for us.
Thank you so much! If I have to use a spacer I will just replace the rims. Because a good set of spacers is almost the cost of something like a crager soft 8. And with all this info I will begin to do some solid research.

·
Super Moderator
4,870 Posts
Thank you so much! If I have to use a spacer I will just replace the rims. Because a good set of spacers is almost the cost of something like a crager soft 8. And with all this info I will begin to do some solid research.
Yeah, but I don't think a cheap set of steelies is as nice as the stock wheels. Not in looks or in quality.
There is nothing wrong with a set of spacers. But if you want to go with cheap steel wheels, that is your call.
I would spend a little more and get a set of hub-centric aluminum wheels. And you can buy a set of wheel spacers for a lot less than I see those steel wheels listed for. A good set of wheel spacers can be had for anywhere between $120 and $200 a set of four.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Yeah, but I don't think a cheap set of steelies is as nice as the stock wheels. Not in looks or in quality.
There is nothing wrong with a set of spacers. But if you want to go with cheap steel wheels, that is your call.
I would spend a little more and get a set of hub-centric aluminum wheels. And you can buy a set of wheel spacers for a lot less than I see those steel wheels listed for. A good set of wheel spacers can be had for anywhere between $120 and $200 a set of four.
Well Guzzi after much thought I purchased a set of 1.5" spidertrax wheel spacers. While I like the look of some steelies, it was going to be well more that the spacers as i got the on sale fore 150 with free shipping. Also the stock alloy rims do look good.

Now for the main question, I am still on the fence versus 33 or 35. I like the look of the kendras you mentioned a few posts back, however I am a little worries about drivability. I dont wheel a ton, however I have joined a few new groups and I am looking to increase the frequency of how much I do wheel. I am worrie about being undergeared. I need to slid under my jeep and check the gear ratio, but in your opinion are 35s too much without regearing?

·
Super Moderator
4,870 Posts
Well Guzzi after much thought I purchased a set of 1.5" spidertrax wheel spacers. While I like the look of some steelies, it was going to be well more that the spacers as i got the on sale fore 150 with free shipping. Also the stock alloy rims do look good.

Now for the main question, I am still on the fence versus 33 or 35. I like the look of the kendras you mentioned a few posts back, however I am a little worries about drivability. I dont wheel a ton, however I have joined a few new groups and I am looking to increase the frequency of how much I do wheel. I am worrie about being undergeared. I need to slid under my jeep and check the gear ratio, but in your opinion are 35s too much without regearing?
While I am a fan of bigger tires (we are running 37's) I don't like bigger tires without the right gearing and other mods (37's take more to do right than, say, 35's).
Checking to see what gearing you currently have would be an important first step. Especially if you aren't willing to spend the money on a regear.
I know there are people out there running 35's with stock 3.21 gearing. But for us the stock 3.73 gears ours came with were too tall even for the stock 32" tires it came with. We had to regear, regardless of what size tires we were going to run. Even the stock tires needed 4.10 gears. And to an extent that made the choice on tire size easier for us, since we needed to regear there was no reason to do anything except exactly what we wanted.
If you are not willing to regear I would lean towards the 33's, but that is just my opinion. As mentioned, there are plenty of people happily driving around in Wranglers that are horribly over geared with 3.21 gears and 35" tires. Sometimes ignorance is bliss. But drive a properly geared Wrangler, one that uses all the gears the transmission has to offer, including overdrive, and see what you think.

·
Registered
12 Posts
While I am a fan of bigger tires (we are running 37's) I don't like bigger tires without the right gearing and other mods (37's take more to do right than, say, 35's).
Checking to see what gearing you currently have would be an important first step. Especially if you aren't willing to spend the money on a regear.
I know there are people out there running 35's with stock 3.21 gearing. But for us the stock 3.73 gears ours came with were too tall even for the stock 32" tires it came with. We had to regear, regardless of what size tires we were going to run. Even the stock tires needed 4.10 gears. And to an extent that made the choice on tire size easier for us, since we needed to regear there was no reason to do anything except exactly what we wanted.
If you are not willing to regear I would lean towards the 33's, but that is just my opinion. As mentioned, there are plenty of people happily driving around in Wranglers that are horribly over geared with 3.21 gears and 35" tires. Sometimes ignorance is bliss. But drive a properly geared Wrangler, one that uses all the gears the transmission has to offer, including overdrive, and see what you think.

Ok, so I have done lots of reasearch on tires, sizes, and gearing. I pulled my build sheet from Jeep and it lists my factory gear ratio as 3.21. I am the second owner and the first owner was enterprise rental car in Hawaii. So I find it unlikely that the gear ratio would be changed, however the tag that should have been their labeling the gear ratio is not. So that makes me wonder about the ratio if it has been changed or not.

In order to fit the wider tires I have purchased a set of Spidertrax 1.5" Wheel spacers.

So my actual question is on tire. I am going to go with 33" tires. My debate is wither the Milestar Patagonia A/T R LT285/70R17 in the 11.5" variety or the Kendra Klever KR601 in 33/10.5/R17. Any opinions either way? I cant seem to find much on the tread warranty/expected life of the Kendra tires. I did read the thread about the kendra tires that you posted a few pages back and they seem like solid tires. But I am overthinking these things, so hear I am. Thanks for your time!

·
Super Moderator
4,870 Posts
Ok, so I have done lots of reasearch on tires, sizes, and gearing. I pulled my build sheet from Jeep and it lists my factory gear ratio as 3.21. I am the second owner and the first owner was enterprise rental car in Hawaii. So I find it unlikely that the gear ratio would be changed, however the tag that should have been their labeling the gear ratio is not. So that makes me wonder about the ratio if it has been changed or not.

In order to fit the wider tires I have purchased a set of Spidertrax 1.5" Wheel spacers.

So my actual question is on tire. I am going to go with 33" tires. My debate is wither the Milestar Patagonia A/T R LT285/70R17 in the 11.5" variety or the Kendra Klever KR601 in 33/10.5/R17. Any opinions either way? I cant seem to find much on the tread warranty/expected life of the Kendra tires. I did read the thread about the kendra tires that you posted a few pages back and they seem like solid tires. But I am overthinking these things, so hear I am. Thanks for your time!
I have no direct experience with either of those tires.
The Pats get great reviews and are very popular right now.
But I tend to think that between those two tires it is a 6 of one / half dozen of the other sort of decision. Either one will be fine. Neither is a high end tire, but both should be great value for the dollar tires.

You can confirm your gear ratio by counting the rotation of the drive shaft for one rotation of the tire / wheel.
I don't think there is a tag on a stock diff telling you the gear ratio.

·
Registered
42 Posts
After a lot of reading, looking at jeep photos and figuring out what I want. Finally bought all the parts to lift my 2017 Wrangler 2 Door. Took me about 10 hours to do the job. I measured the angle of the front axle using two bolts on the front dif cover. Used a digital angle gauge. Using the adjustable lower control arms I was able to adjust the axle angle, caster, back to the stock angle. Took some time but got it the same as before the lift. Re-centered the steering wheel. Just a simple tape measure for everything else. Drives GREAT! I honestly think it drives better than stock. I still have the stock 3.21 gears. But really not bad at all. There is a big hill on the freeway where I live. At 75mph will not down shift going up it, I have the Auto Trans. But at 68 / 70ish will drop down to 4th. A quick tap of the shifter, to manually put it back in 5th, will go up the hill with no lack of power. Recall speedo with GPS and JScan. Get up and go out of the hole is great. So don’t think I will be doing/needing gears. I don’t off road so this is just a road cruiser. MPG before was about 22, now 16.

Would have been much harder without this forum!! THANKS!!!!

I do have a question about the spare tire mount. But I think I will ask that in the Tech forum.

Parts List:

·
Super Moderator
53,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #9,153
After a lot of reading, looking at jeep photos and figuring out what I want. Finally bought all the parts to lift my 2017 Wrangler 2 Door. Took me about 10 hours to do the job. I measured the angle of the front axle using two bolts on the front dif cover. Used a digital angle gauge. Using the adjustable lower control arms I was able to adjust the axle angle, caster, back to the stock angle. Took some time but got it the same as before the lift. Re-centered the steering wheel. Just a simple tape measure for everything else. Drives GREAT! I honestly think it drives better than stock. I still have the stock 3.21 gears. But really not bad at all. There is a big hill on the freeway where I live. At 75mph will not down shift going up it, I have the Auto Trans. But at 68 / 70ish will drop down to 4th. A quick tap of the shifter, to manually put it back in 5th, will go up the hill with no lack of power. Recall speedo with GPS and JScan. Get up and go out of the hole is great. So don’t think I will be doing/needing gears. I don’t off road so this is just a road cruiser. MPG before was about 22, now 16.

Would have been much harder without this forum!! THANKS!!!!

I do have a question about the spare tire mount. But I think I will ask that in the Tech forum.

View attachment 4428758

Parts List:

Looks great

9141 - 9153 of 9153 Posts