Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

9201 - 9220 of 9233 Posts

·
Registered
6,441 Posts
I have a stock 2014 jk, what would be a good, mid range lift kit? I’m wanting to run 33’s.
Typically out here we all start with the TeraFlex 2.5” lift then build around that. If you are on a budget the TeraFlex 2.5” Performance Spacer lift is a good start if your factory springs are in good shape. It has all the same parts as their 2.5” spring lift but uses spacers instead of new springs.
The kit link that Jason from Krawl posted above is the the same kit but with the springs. Great kit and I do recommend the drop brackets and Rancho 9000 shocks as suggested.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,441 Posts
Just wanted to bring this back to the top. We have been doing more and more of this kit, thanks to you guys. Just wanted to bring it back to the top so the new comers can see it!

If you have any questions or if there is anything we can do, please PM, email, or call us at anytime!

-Jason
@KrawlOff-Road.com ; Great kit Jason. All our Jeep folk start out with this set up or the TF 2.5” Performance Spacer lift and build around them. We have been running these kits for going on 13 years. The best bang for the buck lift to get folks up on taller tires and have proved to last many years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
37 Posts
Have '14 Sahara/Dragon package JKU, winch, front and rear steel bumpers. Bought as my daily driver and tow behind my motorhome. 9"wide 4" offset wheels, KO2 275/65R18 tires. Ordered a Rancho 2" sport lift with RS9000 shocks. Waited 2 1/2 months amd it was damaged in shipment. Now the kit is 4 months out before produced again.
Are there any other decent 2" lift kits that would give a soft ride and have decent adjustable shocks without breaking the bank?

·
Sponsoring Vendor
4,474 Posts
Have '14 Sahara/Dragon package JKU, winch, front and rear steel bumpers. Bought as my daily driver and tow behind my motorhome. 9"wide 4" offset wheels, KO2 275/65R18 tires. Ordered a Rancho 2" sport lift with RS9000 shocks. Waited 2 1/2 months amd it was damaged in shipment. Now the kit is 4 months out before produced again.
Are there any other decent 2" lift kits that would give a soft ride and have decent adjustable shocks without breaking the bank?
I would take a look at this lift. It fits what your looking to do and has been very popular here on this forum:

-Jason

·
Registered
37 Posts
Yes, that's an answer, but it's almost double the price and doesn't really fit the criteria I have. I wanted to keep it mild so I didn't have to get into the geometry correction issues quite so deep or at all. Maybe I should just leave it alone for now.

·
Sponsoring Vendor
4,474 Posts
Your only talking .5" difference in the two. Yes castor correction is needed more so the higher you go but your not talking a ton of difference. You are also gaining more with that kit is well. The Rancho is nice but they have just been hit hard with production issues with the COVID.

-Jason

·
Registered
37 Posts
It's not the .5" higher that's a concern. It's the add'l cost of upgrading everything else and piecing it together.
Another thing is how can a shipping company lose one shock out of it's individual box but save the box?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Thank you for your feedback sir!

·
Registered
93 Posts
This is great! I did the Teraflex leveling spring kit (no spacers) and it was super easy. I've added the sway bar disconnects, front top shock extensions, and break location brackets JKS. Took a day and really do like the ride. The rancho 0-2'' shocks work well for this as a replacement (did later). Getting it aligned afterwards makes a difference in drivability, but the jeep drives fine without it (have a fox steering stabilizer).

·
Super Moderator
6,372 Posts
This is great! I did the Teraflex leveling spring kit (no spacers) and it was super easy. I've added the sway bar disconnects, front top shock extensions, and break location brackets JKS. Took a day and really do like the ride. The rancho 0-2'' shocks work well for this as a replacement (did later). Getting it aligned afterwards makes a difference in drivability, but the jeep drives fine without it (have a fox steering stabilizer).
If you added shock extensions did you also add bump stop extensions. Unless your front shocks are extra short compressed you would likely need bump stop extensions to match the shock extensions. That would keep the shocks from being what stops suspension travel when the suspension is compressing.

·
Registered
93 Posts
If you added shock extensions did you also add bump stop extensions. Unless your front shocks are extra short compressed you would likely need bump stop extensions to match the shock extensions. That would keep the shocks from being what stops suspension travel when the suspension is compressing.
Interestingly, I got into a beer debate over this that was substantial - and somehow managed to keep the friends in the process. o_O
Opted to replace the shocks before getting to the limits where it would matter, rather than lose the new travel I obtained with the (minimal, yet something) lift. Despite the color, the rancho 5k and 9k have worked well for me in the past and are a good fit for 0-2" lifted jkus. Well, uhm, i did sneak in some metal cloak soft stops up top to replace the factory ones while the springs were off...will have more flexiful fun to exercise them after the snow abates here in Mass.

Edit: realized that have still have the front/back lower pucks i did not use if someone wants them, but dont think i can sell them there on this thread. Just let me know...not trying to break rules though...

Chris

·
Registered
4 Posts
Question....when you put on a lift and the geometry gets out of alignment is ot true your abs or traction control or other dash lights may come on? Thanks.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Not for a 1-2" leveling lift to heavier springs. I did the same with most of my trucks and suvs over the years with 0 issues. Cant speak to larger lifts...l

·
Super Moderator
6,372 Posts
Question....when you put on a lift and the geometry gets out of alignment is ot true your abs or traction control or other dash lights may come on? Thanks.
In some cases when you lift your steering wheel may no longer be centered. In those cases it can cause issues with traction control. But the steering linkage, the drag link, is adjustable and you should be able to adjust it to re-center the steering wheel.
You can also damage the wires to the wheel speed sensors when lifting and that can also cause issues. That can happen when you droop the axles if you don’t release the clips that secure the wires before you droop the axles. Avoid having the brake lines or wheel speed wires be what stops the axles from drooping further.

·
Sponsoring Vendor
4,474 Posts
We see this is worse on the JL's than the JK's too. Just side note...

90% of the lifts will need some sort of steering adjustment. The JK's, if the steering is off more than roughly 3* either direction, the traction control light will come on.

-Jason

·
Registered
7 Posts
like many others before me, I have read a lot on here and appreciate the shared knowledge.

I have a 2 door jk secondhand that had spring spacers installed with shock extension brackets, 2.5 front and 1.75 rear. other than wheels, 33s and added skid plate, its stock. I am happy with its off road capabilities but, will be putting on quicker disconnects. The road handling isn't bad but, its not good. I'm wondering if new shocks and getting rid of extension brackets would help the ride? If so, how precise do I need to be with shock length? I was thinking about the Fox performance fr/rr set for lifts from 1.5 to 3.5 but, if its too long do i risk unseating the springs? If I go this route, do I need to check the bump stops or would they already be ok since i'm not changing lift height? Thanks!

·
RETIRED MODERATOR
86,662 Posts
like many others before me, I have read a lot on here and appreciate the shared knowledge.

I have a 2 door jk secondhand that had spring spacers installed with shock extension brackets, 2.5 front and 1.75 rear. other than wheels, 33s and added skid plate, its stock. I am happy with its off road capabilities but, will be putting on quicker disconnects. The road handling isn't bad but, its not good. I'm wondering if new shocks and getting rid of extension brackets would help the ride? If so, how precise do I need to be with shock length? I was thinking about the Fox performance fr/rr set for lifts from 1.5 to 3.5 but, if its too long do i risk unseating the springs? If I go this route, do I need to check the bump stops or would they already be ok since i'm not changing lift height? Thanks!
Welcome to the Forum, from Cave Creek AZ.

·
Super Moderator
6,372 Posts

What, if anything, do you have for caster correction? That is usually either geometry brackets or longer / adjustable lower front control arms. Caster correction is a big part of making a lifted Jeep drive nice. If you don’t have caster correction I would add it.
For new shocks the biggest concern is compressed length. You need enough bumpstop so that the bumpstop is what stops up travel of the suspension, not the shocks. You do not want the shocks to be what stops the suspension up travel. That will damage the shocks. You also need to make sure the shocks aren’t so long extended that they allow the springs to fall out when the suspension extends. But usually, unless your chosen shocks have more travel than most, if the shocks are the right length compressed they will be ok extended. And if that isn’t the case, if your shocks are too long, you can always add limiting straps to prevent the springs from unseating.
Personally, I would upgrade from spring spacers to springs that match the shocks you are going with. A low cost option that should go well with the Fox shocks are the Mopar 2” lift springs. They typically lift around 3” up front and 2” in back. And you can buy a set of 4 for under $200.

9201 - 9220 of 9233 Posts