Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I am pretty new to the jeep thing. I have a 2007 wrangler 6 speed, with 109,000 miles. Here recently, the jeep starts to shake around the 50-60 mph area. It drives fine under 50 mph, but over 50 it has a little shake in it. I need some opinions on what it could be, and some ideas on how to fix it. I take care of my jeep, since I have owned it I haven't taken it off-road ( I know it's a sin) and I have the regular size bf mts on it. I hope this isn't the signs of the noturious death wobble. Any suggestions will help. Thanks guys.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
900 Posts
Tire balance.

DW if you have it is real bad and you must come stop to get it to go away. From what i understand. Mine was like that and I found a loose bolt and everything is fine now.

Just went through a slight vib. at 55 to 60 mph. Tires were out of balance.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
47 Posts
could be a few things, but the first thing I'd do is get your tires rotated and balanced. Most of the time tires that are out of balance will provide a bit of a shake over 50mph, but often goes away once you get over 60mph. However, if your tires are WAY out of balance the shaking can be more severe.

2nd thing to check are your suspension bushings. at over 100K on your clock, you may need some new bushings here and there. Especially your steering pieces. May even be a bad or worn out steering stabilizer.

Hope that helps
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
53,785 Posts
First you have to know whether its DW or something else. Most of the time people with DW don't have death wobble at all.
DW 99 % of the time is front track bar related. On a solid axle the TB holds the axle centered under the jeep. Any part of it being loose-hitting a bump or having another issue like tire balance can send the axle Into a violent oscillation = DW
Everything else is just a vibe or shake. These can contribute to DW If the TB is not tight/bushings bad/hole ovaled out/etc.
I have been dealing with a bad shake at slow speeds when going over washboard roads. Since it stops and I can drive through it it's not really DW

Good luck. I know it is frustrating. I almost refuse to spend any money unless I know what the cause is. That's the problem.... I don't. Have ideas but nothing :(

Keep us posted

Ken
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
356 Posts
They are right. A speed dependent wobble is nearly always tire/wheel related. Out of balance tire/wheel, bent wheel, failure to remove lug retainer clips, improper torque pattern (non-star), non-hub centric wheel spacers, and/or bad treadwear (cupped or feathered tires), can be the source(s).

Watch the first video below to understand your front end:


Several people have requested videos that explain Death Wobble and diagnosis/inspection.

The videos are kind of long at 18-19 minutes each. Hopefully, they are thorough enough to help.

Death Wobble Diagnosis and Inspection Jeep JK Wrangler Part 1 - YouTube
Death Wobble Diagnosis and Inspection Jeep JK Wrangler Part 2 - YouTube


Here is my Diagnosing Death Wobble thread with more written detail:

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f33/di...fixing-non-dw-shimmies-and-wobbles-78034.html
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
356 Posts
kjeeper10 said:
Have a question Planman

I replaced the drag link and ends last spring but, My drag link to knuckle shows some vertical play. what gets me is its still tight on its rotational axes.

I'm guessing defective rather than worn ?
One bad episode of DW can damage it enough for vertical play via the test I show in video #2 or with channel lock pliers.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the help guys. I got my tires balanced, and it worked. So thanks again guys y'all helped me out a lot.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
394 Posts
Hey guys, I am pretty new to the jeep thing. I have a 2007 wrangler 6 speed, with 109,000 miles. Here recently, the jeep starts to shake around the 50-60 mph area. It drives fine under 50 mph, but over 50 it has a little shake in it. I need some opinions on what it could be, and some ideas on how to fix it. I take care of my jeep, since I have owned it I haven't taken it off-road ( I know it's a sin) and I have the regular size bf mts on it. I hope this isn't the signs of the noturious death wobble. Any suggestions will help. Thanks guys.
Might be more than tire balance. I bought a 2007 JK in 2010 -- it was a lease that had never seen dirt. After 12 months of light but relatively frequent offroading, maybe once per month, DW became pretty bad. The first time I had the tires balanced and the problem mostly went away, but it came back a second time after another fun day in the desert. Dealer diagnosed it as needing a new steering stabilizer and that did the trick. Not a single incident. Dealer also said that the more you go offroad, the more likely DW will return.

DW is very scary. Happened to my 16-year old son on the freeway and thank goodness he had the presence of mind as to what to do. My 17-year old daughter would've flipped out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
356 Posts
tom h said:
Might be more than tire balance. I bought a 2007 JK in 2010 -- it was a lease that had never seen dirt. After 12 months of light but relatively frequent offroading, maybe once per month, DW became pretty bad. The first time I had the tires balanced and the problem mostly went away, but it came back a second time after another fun day in the desert. Dealer diagnosed it as needing a new steering stabilizer and that did the trick. Not a single incident. Dealer also said that the more you go offroad, the more likely DW will return.

DW is very scary. Happened to my 16-year old son on the freeway and thank goodness he had the presence of mind as to what to do. My 17-year old daughter would've flipped out.
Your DW isn't fixed. The new steering stabilizer is masking worn or loose parts. Eventually, the new steering stabilizer will fail and no longer be able to mask the true source(s).

For the safety of yourself and your family, read my DW write-up thread and watch my 2 videos.

I 100% guarantee you that if all they did was balance the tires and put on a new steering stabilizer, the DW will return.

DW has nothing to do with offroading.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
53,785 Posts
planman said:
Your DW isn't fixed. The new steering stabilizer is masking worn or loose parts. Eventually, the new steering stabilizer will fail and no longer be able to mask the true source(s).

For the safety of yourself and your family, read my DW write-up thread and watch my 2 videos.

I 100% guarantee you that if all they did was balance the tires and put on a new steering stabilizer, the DW will return.

DW has nothing to do with offroading.
Or he never had death wobble.

I might have a bent axle and under the right situations get a pretty bad handling issue. It's not really a shake or a vibe but its bad.
I can see where some may assume death wobble.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
I have a 2009 unlimited with 50,000. I bought it used a year ago. The past month I have encountered the DW 4-5 times. I understand that you will have some shimy based on tires, but this was no mistaken. Is this something that i should be worried about? I've read that no one has died, but I had to get an appointment with my dentist due to loose fillings...jk. Anyway, i am trying to figure out what could have changed to now have it after close to a year without.

Any ideas?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
356 Posts
teb0911 said:
I have a 2009 unlimited with 50,000. I bought it used a year ago. The past month I have encountered the DW 4-5 times. I understand that you will have some shimy based on tires, but this was no mistaken. Is this something that i should be worried about? I've read that no one has died, but I had to get an appointment with my dentist due to loose fillings...jk. Anyway, i am trying to figure out what could have changed to now have it after close to a year without.

Any ideas?
Yes.

Watch the 2 videos and read my DW Diagnosis thread linked above.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
I'd had my 06 X for a couple of months when DW struck. There is a rough place on an I-26 overpass near Asheville that curves to the left. I hit it @ 65 or so and thought the whole front end was going to fall off. Violent shaking and a wicked shimmy. At that time I had never heard of DW. I thought it might be bad shocks, so I replaced them. That helped some. The OE tires had about 60k on them so I replaced them too with stock size General Grabbers. Since then no more problems.
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top