Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
got really cold last night and after i got the layer of ice off i noticed a nasty belt squeel than came and went a few times on my way to work. any suggestions where i should start first?

·
Registered
941 Posts
got really cold last night and after i got the layer of ice off i noticed a nasty belt squeel than came and went a few times on my way to work. any suggestions where i should start first?
Well it is impossible to tell if your serpentine belt is tight enough but mine squeels everytime after I washed the engine. I give it a quick spay with some Belt Dressing to shut it up.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Make sure your idler pulley is at the right tension and not letting the belt slip.

Donn

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
I'm thinking belt stretched a bit over time and the cold temps made it a bit more firm. Depending on age, you MAY want to consider a new one. I replaced mine after 8 years when I installed my new alternator and got a belt while I was doing all that. Tighten it down securely enough that you have about 1/2" deflection when pressing on the top of the belt (I THINK that is the tightness - I'd have to double check my FSM).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts