Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Attempting to change the serpentine belt. I'm using a 2' breaker bar and it doesn't budge. Is it always this tuff to move it? I know aluminum is brittle. I don't want to break it. Tips? Thanks.

·
Registered
616 Posts
It should have a 3/8” square hole into which you can insert a socket wrench (at least, my 2010 does. I don’t know about Pentastars). Use that to detension the belt. If you can’t move it then something’s wrong, either with the tensioner or your technique. If the former, you don’t need to worry about breaking the tensioner, since it needs to be replaced any way.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
It is a beast to move, a hydraulic piston. Mine fortunately in my 12 is the 1/2" drive one. I used a 30" breaker bar and still had to have someone else pull the belt while I kept it pulled back. Air box has to come out to reach it easily.
And as someone else mentioned, make sure you are pulling in the right direction. Amd when you do get it, make sure you let pressure off slowly too.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
1/2" in my 18, I can compress it alone and remove the belt but need some help to install properly the belt back.
the trick is not only to pull/rotate the breaker bar but also to constantly press in the right direction with your left hand.
Hope it helps.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
1/2' slot is quite far from the pivot and depending on the lenght of the breakerbar imo a lot of energy is lost, by pressing simultaneously down on the cylinder it helps start the cylinder copressing.
Im puling the braker bar clockwise with the right hand and with left pressing down in the red arrow direction. Im using a short extender not to brake the aluminum tube.
Air filter box and hose removed.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
I bought one of those belt tensioner tools as they are long and give you lots of leverage. I found it easiest to get under the jeep and pull the tensioner tool down towards the passenger side tire. From there, I used a ratchet strap to secure the tensioner in position so that I could get on top of the engine and install the new belt.

·
Registered
925 Posts
The tensioner appears as if it was hard to move, but there is not really a need for that much leverage.

The reason the tensioner feels hard to move because it is dampened. If you want to move it quickly, you'll be fighting the dampener PLUS the spring.

So the trick is is to apply pressure and keep raising the pressure slowly and steady. This will make everything a whole lot easier!

·
Premium Member
774 Posts
breaker bar with short stubby extension pulling from and towards the driver side fender

Reactions: pkdailey4

·
Premium Member
7,080 Posts
I found it easiest to get under the jeep and pull the tensioner tool down towards the passenger side tire.
breaker bar with short stubby extension pulling from and towards the driver side fender
See? This is what I was talking about when I mentioned the other day to make sure you're trying to turn it in the correct direction. We have two people saying to go opposite directions.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
It should be kinda obvious. Release the tension on the belt, one way holds it down the other way releases it. The pressure is on the smooth side of the belt, pull it away from that.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Wow, out of all the belts I've changed on numerous different vehicles I've never had one that I could not release the tension on using nothing more than a standard ratchet.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Aren't they both suggesting clockwise rotation? One being on the top of the engine bay pulling towards the driver side and the other saying under the Jeep and pulling towards the passenger side? The slight rotation appears to be the same direction...no?

I found it easiest to get under the jeep and pull the tensioner tool down towards the passenger side tire.
See? This is what I was talking about when I mentioned the other day to make sure you're trying to turn it in the correct direction. We have two people saying to go opposite directions.

·
Premium Member
774 Posts
Aren't they both suggesting clockwise rotation? One being on the top of the engine bay pulling towards the driver side and the other saying under the Jeep and pulling towards the passenger side? The slight rotation appears to be the same direction...no?

Yes, what you said.

·
Premium Member
774 Posts
Lol, these are both CW in direction... once you see where you need to connect the cheater bar, all will be clear...

...except for the manly part... you must be manly to do this. :)

·
Premium Member
7,080 Posts
Yes, I was thinking about that possibility on my way to work yesterday. The first person clearly shows it being pulled toward the passenger side in the pic underneath but the second person didn't specify that he means pulling from the top toward the driver side, in which case it would still be rotating in the same direction.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts