Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes I have the noise that sounds like incessant squealing brakes and the diagnosis is a bent rear axle flange on my Rubicon. I already tried the warranty route and the dealer said it's not covered due to my aftermarket tires and wheels.

Does anyone have any experience with this replacement?

Crown Automotive 68003557AA - Driver Side Rear Axle Shaft for 07-14 Jeep® Wrangler Rubicon & Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon JK with Dana 44 Rear Axle - Quadratec

Any recommendations on a good replacement or those to stay away from welcome. If I upgrade I will go ahead and replace both sides. Thanks in advance for the replies.

·
Registered
813 Posts
It's not uncommon to bend the flange on the shaft especially when it's side loaded. On a 44 it's 4 bolts and the whole axle comes out it shouldn't take more than an hour. The flange should have a hole in it that will let you get a socket on the bolts. Also buy shafts that already have the bearing pressed on.

While your at it for that price get chromoly shafts for both sides. They are stronger and aren't much more than that one stock shaft.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's not uncommon to bend the flange on the shaft especially when it's side loaded. On a 44 it's 4 bolts and the whole axle comes out it shouldn't take more than an hour. The flange should have a hole in it that will let you get a socket on the bolts. Also buy shafts that already have the bearing pressed on.

While your at it for that price get chromoly shafts for both sides. They are stronger and aren't much more than that one stock shaft.
Thank you for the information. I definitely plan on doing it myself. Is there a particular brand of chromoly shafts you would recommend or say to stay away from?

·
Registered
294 Posts
You have 285 70 R17's right? I have a VERY hard time believing that this ever so slightly larger than stock tire caused this problem. Fight harder, that claim is ridiculous. If it bent with those tires, it would have bent with stock too. I'd like to see a detailed description of their logic behind the decision.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes I m running 33" duratracs less than an inch taller than stock tires and not much heavier. I agree it's ridiculous that the dealership denied the claim, but I'm not surprised based on what issues I have read posted by other forum members here.

Their argument stems from the wheel offset and tire width rather than height. I don't agree with it either, but I don't want to drive around like this and potentially make matters worse. My extended warranty deductible is $100 so I am only going to be out a few hundred depending on if I replace the damaged side vs. upgrade to chromoly shafts in the rear. The other issue is I don't want it to happen again.

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
You have 285 70 R17's right? I have a VERY hard time believing that this ever so slightly larger than stock tire caused this problem. Fight harder, that claim is ridiculous. If it bent with those tires, it would have bent with stock too. I'd like to see a detailed description of their logic behind the decision.
The height of the tires has less to do with it then the offset of the wheel in this case. The further you move the wheel out the more leverage you put on the flange. Besides the stock axles are weak and very prone to bending at the flange, even with the stock setup.

Sounds like the SR is being a DB though.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I run Alloy USAs and have put them though the ringer. They dont come with bearings pressed on though.

Never heard any thing bad about the two you mentioned.
I like the ten year warranty that Alloy USA has as well. I'll check some pricing and go from there. Thanks for the input.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts