Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was off road and went into a muddy rock pit pretty hard and ended up stuck for about half an hour. I was so worried about the water i didn't think i hit anything.

When i was changing out the differential fluid i saw this pretty decent bend/dent in the front cross member, just outside where my bumper skit plate ends. How bad is it?

I didn't notice any difference driving it for the reccord. This is my daily driver so i want to fix whatever i can. I added a couple photos of the dent and a photo of the mud hole

2KMVvZJIQT2Tv%z9Nm7LZA.jpg

HxZlP9ULQ3GA5HmLHTvEYA.jpg

0ZTnN6ymTc6knx3pnI81cw.jpg

APOvEgp2Qp2qmJYsfkrcKQ.jpg

k9964fSlTSW+xLer00kbJw.jpg

·
Registered
445 Posts
I was off road and went into a muddy rock pit pretty hard and ended up stuck for about half an hour. I was so worried about the water i didn't think i hit anything.

When i was changing out the differential fluid i saw this pretty decent bend/dent in the front cross member, just outside where my bumper skit plate ends. How bad is it?

I didn't notice any difference driving it for the reccord. This is my daily driver so i want to fix whatever i can. I added a couple photos of the dent and a photo of the mud hole

View attachment 4193039

View attachment 4193041

View attachment 4193043

View attachment 4193045

View attachment 4193049
Mine was about the same but on other side. I managed to pull it out a bit but ended up giving up. I am told it is not an issue. A wider front skid plate covered it up so I don't have to look at it..

Sent from my I4293 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
445 Posts
Mine was about the same but on other side. I managed to pull it out a bit but ended up giving up. I am told it is not an issue. A wider front skid plate covered it up so I don't have to look at it..

Before I straightened it.

·
Registered
5,294 Posts
The frame is bent so it's totaled,,,, LOL. It's not a big deal.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Did you do this yourself or pay a body shop? If so how much was it

I don't know the firs thing about body work
Two pieces of 30mm mild steel angle drilled to match holes in cross member. One behind the cross member and one in front. Bolts through the angle and slowly and evenly tighten. The bolts will likely break before you tighten fully but it will pull most of it out.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Two pieces of 30mm mild steel angle drilled to match holes in cross member. One behind the cross member and one in front. Bolts through the angle and slowly and evenly tighten. The bolts will likely break before you tighten fully but it will pull most of it out.

30mm = 1 1/4 inch

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
This is not a crossmember, front crossmember is tubular and is behind front body mount.
IDK the correct name for this thing but is designed to support the air dam and protect sway bar disconnect on Rubicons.
IMO is not a structural part of the frame.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Correct not a structural crossmember. It is just to hold the air dam but looks ugly if it is dinged.

·
Registered
7,850 Posts
That’s the crash bar. Some bumper installs require that it be cut out (removed).

·
Registered
445 Posts
30mm = 1 1/4 inch

You can buy the part and have a new one welded in. When I dinged mine I found the part number but getting it shipped to Australia was expensive. It is fitted to numerous cars, including PT Cruiser.

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
I cut that off completely when I chopped the frame for my JCR Dagger bumper.

·
Registered
172 Posts
It’s not really an issue. Most people refer to it as a crash bar and some cut it off so it doesn’t hang below their aftermarket bumper. I still have mine and drilled some bolt holes it so it helps brace up my Crawler Conceptz front bumper.

·
Registered
190 Posts
That is nothing. My wifes Rubicon one has a huge curve in it along with the aftermarket skid plate. No issues just cosmetic.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Yes it's not structural and it is really only meant to hold the stock air dam. My stock air dam was munted and the bash bar was bashed. Unfortunately without the air dam or an aftermarket skid plate (to direct air under the jeep) then at highway speeds the bonnet / hood looks like it is going to fly open. So, I straightened it out and put an aftermarket skid plate to replace the air dam.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts