Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm fairly certain I bent my driver side rear axle shaft. Can anyone confirm from the vid that is the case? If so, is there any harm in driving on it as is for a few weeks until I can get around to swapping in some new shafts?

2013 JK Bent Rear Axle Shaft - YouTube

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
I unfortunately do not know the answer to your question, but how did you do that??? Free bump too.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Got a little silly at the sand dunes last weekend. Im not exactly sure when it happened but it mightve involved the rear end coming off the ground a bit. :whistling:

·
Registered
579 Posts
I don't know enough to say. What I can relate to is bike tires. I do a lot of cycling and if you spin the wheel it often looks like the wheel is out of true when looking at the tire itself spin. What is actually going on is the mold/rubber/tire isn't perfect and you can see it when you spin it. You always have to check the rim itself when evaluating if it is out of true.

Again not saying that is what is going on here but it reminds me of the same thing.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Could be shaft or wheel, there is a slight movement, is it vibrating going down road?
Yea, its vibrating at pretty much all speeds. Under 45 and you can notice it a little but its not bad. Over 45 and especially at highway speeds, its very noticeable.

I was running short on time tonight so I didnt pop the wheel off. Its an aluminum wheel so I dont think the wheel itself is bent. Ill try to get the wheel off tomorrow and see if the caliper is moving. So far I havent gotten any noise out of the brakes. If I can determine its the axle shaft, im not too worried about how much its bent. Id planned on replacing the shafts eventually anyway. If all else fails, will a cheap harbor freight dial indicator work well enough to give an idea?

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Could be tire....rim.....spindle or axle.......only way to be sure.......disassemble and gauge it up..... like kjeeper said.....

·
Registered
4,136 Posts
Place the rear axle on jackstands and remove the suspect tire. If the axle flange is bent it will be more than obvious once you put it in gear.You will see the rotor make contact with the disc pad(s) briefly.

Bob K.

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
The wheel itself may be warped/bent. I had bought a brand new set of wheels years ago and two were warped enough to show like that. Drove me nuts, I thought the tires weren't balancing right at all.

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
You can use a marker as a poor man's run out gauge. Bring whatever you suspect to be bent up to speed and just verily touch it with the marker. It will show you the high side if something is bent.

If you have steady hands you can see as little as .002 like this. Of course you can't see how much run out you have but you can get an idea if it is bad.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Tried taking the wheel off tonight and running it on stands to see if the caliper moved. Apparently the brake lock differential doesnt like that idea. Traction control went nuts. Ive got a manual override switch so I tried turning it off and running. Didnt see much play in the caliper but I did notice a bit of brake drag on each revolution. I put the spare on thats been in my 5 wheel rotation, and it still has some of the vibration, though it seems a little less. Hard to measure really.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The brake drag... I could just hear the brake pad rubbing for about 1/4 of the rotation or so. I figure, if the shaft is bent, that would be expected. I only took off the one wheel/tire, which is what seemed to upset the BLD. Im sure it was a lot less load on the side without the tire so it was applying the brake on that side.

·
Registered
4,136 Posts
Then I would do it again and remove both rear wheels. This should make BLD happy and then you can find out of it was BLD or bent flange causing the brake rub.

Bob K.

·
Retired Moderator
100,727 Posts
Axles on Dana 44s, usually twist and or brake at the spline area entering the side gears. Yes bouncing and shock loading the axle is the number one cause. But to have a axle flange that is supported very well on the bearing fit and bolted into the housing bend would be very unusual. It could happen if the wheel took a side load hit, but the wheel is a lot weaker than that axle flange, so my guess is the wheel.
It's very easy to determine, by just swapping the rear two wheels.:thumb:

·
Registered
203 Posts
bent flange

Take the tire off and spin the rotor . look to see if it is swaying and rubbing on the calipers . if so , it is bent .Buy an after market axle shaft , not the 600.00 dollar factory shaft . Ask me how I know .Also , despite what others are saying , it is common .

·
Retired Moderator
100,727 Posts
Axles on Dana 44s, usually twist and or brake at the spline area entering the side gears. Yes bouncing and shock loading the axle is the number one cause. But to have a axle flange that is supported very well on the bearing fit and bolted into the housing bend would be very unusual. It could happen if the wheel took a side load hit, but the wheel is a lot weaker than that axle flange, so my guess is the wheel.
It's very easy to determine, by just swapping the rear two wheels.:thumb:
X2, I agree..............;)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts