Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever bent their Yeti tie rod?

I did some wheeling at Rausch Creek this weekend. I was in a blue group so nothing too extreme. I do not remember any loud bangs or damaging hits. When to leave for home and steering wheel was pretty off. Of course, traction control kicking in and doing crazy things. Stopped off in a rain storm and recentered the steering wheel.

I'm sure it has to be the tie rod, not the drag link. I have the Yeti top mount drag link flip and it sits so high I can't see that being hit. Either way not really happy about it. I'll check the toe at some point today or tomorrow and report back. The whole reason I upgraded these steering components was not to have this issue!

·
GO STEELERS !
2,164 Posts
Throw up some pics. I run the same setup and have beaten on the TR with no issue. It would take a heck of a hit or drop onto it to bend it. You should definitely see some damage if it was the TR.

·
Registered
729 Posts
I have the same setup as well and have already put it through some abuse with no issues
If you did bend it enough to throw your steering wheel off, you would most definitely notice it visually and driving (would dart around being toed in or slow being toed out)
Something else is wrong
Are you properly bump stopped for the top mount? If not it will hit frame and can either damage or twist the drag link causing the wheel to go off centre

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not seeing any significant damage. The clamps on the tie rod and drag link were exactly where I put them. It doesn't look like it spun at all. Steering stabilizer is exactly where it was and didn't shift. 3" of bump stop and I see don't see any signs that the drag link is making contact with the frame.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
4,572 Posts
If the tie rod bends it will affect not only the steering wheel center but your toe will be off. You will have too much toe. If the toe is right and the steering wheel is off center that is usually the drag link. If one of the holes in the steering system is ovaled out it can allow the bolt to shift from one way to the other.
If it isn't from something being bent (hard to imagine the Yeti stuff bending, but if you hit something hard enough it will bend) and your adjuster is not loose it is likely from the linkage attachment points. The required torque involved is pretty high, and the holes should be straight and tight.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Checked and the toe was off, however when I was under there I saw a slight mark on the frame where I think the draglink hit. Turns out I might need more bump stop. What I thought was 3" isn't because I have the pro rock. I think it's only 2". I'll add bump stops and see if I have anymore issues.

Steer Smarts customer service has been phenomenal!!! Great group of guys!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
729 Posts
I thought something was up with your axle lol. Kept looking at the coil pocket and wondered why it was rounded, never even dawned on me it to be a pro rock haha

Good to hear you figured it out!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
38 Posts
Your not the only one , I am on my 3rd one. They bend easy however the rod ends are nice. I'm waiting for my local shop to make an aluminum one for me.
These sure look beefy and are good for a Mall crawling rig.i bent my current one yesterday at Rausch and we went easy on blue trails since their was snow.
Im running a pro rock with reid high steer knuckles and I'm on 38's.
Mark

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
14,554 Posts
Wow, sounds like they need to replace the center section with their new aluminum section for these repeatedly bent tie rods...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts