Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my good deed of pulling someone out of the mud ended badly for me, as my not-so-proud moment of tying the chain to the tie rod ended up like you see here. How much do these usually run? Where do I get them from? Whats my course of repair? Total cost? Can anyone tell me exactly how much I should hate my life right now? Appreciate any help I can get, thanks in advance from the new guy.

-Mark

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,920 Posts
looks like time for an upgrade to steering components.....and maybe TOW HOOKS for the top of the front Bumper if it doesn't already have them.

I think Quadratec will have all the parts you need...can check out Baseline4x4 also...they are driving distance for me and good people to work with

·
Registered
14,065 Posts
Everything he said or go to a junkyard and pick on up.

·
Registered
3,197 Posts
.. oh, and get yourself some real recovery points and read up on recovery methods.:thumb:

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
ZJ junk at a minimum since you're at it and yea TOW POINTS for sure..

Don't forget to set your toe-in or get it aligned if you can't do it yourself...it's easy though.

·
Yipeee Kay Ayyy
2,839 Posts
If you get a tie rod from a junkyard, make sure it's straight. Take the ends off and roll it on a flat surface.
Stock tie rods are just hollow tubes - I had my replacement tierod sleeved to make it stronger, but there are beefier options out there like the previously mentioned ZJ tierod.

Tie rods can also be re-straightened but they will be weaker after straightening.

·
Super Moderator
62,805 Posts
So my good deed of pulling someone out of the mud ended badly for me, as my not-so-proud moment of tying the chain to the tie rod ended up like you see here. How much do these usually run? Where do I get them from? Whats my course of repair? Total cost? Can anyone tell me exactly how much I should hate my life right now? Appreciate any help I can get, thanks in advance from the new guy.

-Mark

Read this:thumb:

ZJ Tie Rod Conversion

·
Registered
230 Posts
For future reference tow hooks are less expensive than tie-rods.:thumb:
You need at least one recovery point in the front and one in in the rear, minimum. First and last time this happens, I hope.

·
Registered
3,197 Posts
Can u straighten while still on the Jeep with a c clamp and a straight board? Heat with a propane torch once pressure is on it.
A bent hollow tie rod isn't worth trying to save. If it were a v8 ZJ rod (hint, hint) that is solid, I'd straighten it out over and over until it bends when turning the wheel in the parking lot.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I got an aluminum TRE for mine after I snapped it on the D/S from mudding. Purchased it from Adventurous4x4.com from the owner named Randy. Check out the website and get the contact number and speak with him, he'll gladly explain the pros/cons of the aluminum tire rod. If I were to bend mine for any reason, I could straighten it back out...easily. Good luck.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I am the second owner and don't know if mine is solid or not but it sure seems to be solid. How could I tell? I put a straight board on it and it is only bent 1/2 or so.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
For future reference tow hooks are less expensive than tie-rods.:thumb:
You need at least one recovery point in the front and one in in the rear, minimum. First and last time this happens, I hope.

Point well taken PDX. :facepalm:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts