Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,602 Posts
Google really is your friend when researching Jeep mods or parts, it's a very rare idea in Jeeping that hasn't already been argued and discussed and declared useless/wonderful/both. Sometimes you run across a thought or idea that is un-threaded, and sometimes, when a thread devolves in to just ego/arguement a new thread is very much needed. The thread I linked isn't very old at all and includes all the things mentioned above. Just keep in mind there are several dozen mainstream Jeep forums, google is the best way to search them all at once. Have fun and happy learning :D

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
I bought an Engo 9K with synthetic line for $400 shipped. I could have bought a Warn (or any other brand for that matter) but chose to try this one out after reading the shootout and reviews. It has worked flawlessly and some were pretty hard pulls. I am very satisfied with this winch and for the money, it can't be beat. Some of my friends bought Engo after seeing mine in action btw.
Now, having said that, I have had a Warn and been around other brands in winching situations and can honestly say Warn is without a doubt the most prolific brand out there. Reputation proceeds it. If money is no object, then buy the most expensive because we all know the best is the most expensive right? Tongue in cheek comment there. Your wallet, your budget, just don't badmouth Warn or it's main flag waver on here or the thread gets locked lol.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I had a warn on my last jeep. $1000.00 + winch. Worked perfect. If I could afford another one I would. I will be using the winch maybe 3-4 times a year. Not sure if I want to spend. $1k on a warn.

·
Full Size Jeep Dr.
3,432 Posts
That's roughly the number of times I expect to use my winch, which is why I went with the Quadratec Q9500i. It's worked good so far, with the only problem being corrosion on the plug for the remote. I'll be taking care of that with a weather proof connector set for the remote.

·
Registered
329 Posts
That's roughly the number of times I expect to use my winch, which is why I went with the Quadratec Q9500i. It's worked good so far, with the only problem being corrosion on the plug for the remote. I'll be taking care of that with a weather proof connector set for the remote.
Tell me more about this connector set. I hope to be adding a Q9500is soon myself.

·
Registered
733 Posts
I had a warn on my last jeep. $1000.00 + winch. Worked perfect. If I could afford another one I would. I will be using the winch maybe 3-4 times a year. Not sure if I want to spend. $1k on a warn.
$1000 for a Warn M8000?

I spent $585 for mine, and have found several online just now for that same price.

·
Full Size Jeep Dr.
3,432 Posts

·
Motorized toy collector
3,763 Posts
The one I had before was the xd9000. $950
I run an old XD9000i I found used for $400. Great winch.
I guess you could say I have $700 in the Warn. I had to replace a failed two year old Chinese winch with it.
I should of bought a better winch the first time.

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
I will be using it 3-4 times a year?
All the more reason to pony the few extra hundy & get a warn. I'm no stranger to harbor freight or CL, but IMO there are certain areas one shouldn't skimp out. Sure it may foot the bill short term, but long term support, resale value, & confidence in a winch actually working the 3-4 times a year should be taken into consideration.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I'd just buy a smitty. I was in the same position as the OP and went with the X20 8k. Does everything the others do.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,638 Posts
I'd just buy a smitty. I was in the same position as the OP and went with the X20 8k. Does everything the others do.
If it really could and hold up long-term too, Warn and all of the more expensive winch manufacturers would long be out of business. It doesn't.

·
Registered
581 Posts
If it really could and hold up long-term too, Warn and all of the more expensive winch manufacturers would long be out of business. It doesn't.
Where would be a good place to put the solenoid box under the hood? I haven't received my winch yet and haven't really looked under the hood but I'm lost as to where would be a safe place. Also what would be a good way to waterproof it? For instance, silicone caulk around the lip?

·
Knows a couple things...
49,638 Posts
I wouldn't worry about waterproofing it, fresh water won't harm it... it would even work under water. I just kept my solenoid box mounted on the outside, it doesn't bother me at all to be there.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 88 Posts