Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm thinking about stuffing some 35s on my 2 door 2012 jk but I want a simple lift that is reliable and decent with performance. What are some good cheap lift kits that aren't just budget boosters?

·
Super Moderator
8,238 Posts
None that I am aware of.

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
Don't skimp on the suspension changes.

·
Super Moderator
8,238 Posts
What is wrong with a budget boost? I would run that before I would runs cheap spring lift.

·
Super Moderator
8,238 Posts
Before considering 35s, what gearing do you have? Is your Jeep a daily driver or trail only rig?

·
Registered
5,702 Posts
The suspension is the foundation of your Jeep don't cut corners on it. If you are limited on funds go with a spacer lift like the Teraflex 2.5" Budget Boost and don't be tempted by Rough Country's a 100 parts for $99.

·
Super Moderator
16,383 Posts
If you can squeeze for another 100 bucks. The rubicon express lift is a steal for 599. Good quality lift for a good price.
No question, this is the best lift at this price point. You could even go with the version without shocks and add Rancho RS5000X while they are on rebate and get close to the $500 number.

Rubicon Express RE7121 - Rubicon Express 2.5" Budget Boost Suspension System for 07-15 Jeep® Wrangler JK 2 Door - Quadratec

The shocks are like $123 after rebate...

RS55329
RS55330

However, I encourage you to look at this thread also.

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f202/most-popular-lift-shock-setup-on-wf-1136938.html

You should avoid the Skyjacker, Superlift, Trailmaster, etc. cheap lifts with crappy shocks...

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No question, this is the best lift at this price point. You could even go with the version without shocks and add Rancho RS5000X while they are on rebate and get close to the $500 number. Rubicon Express RE7121 - Rubicon Express 2.5" Budget Boost Suspension System for 07-15 Jeep® Wrangler JK 2 Door - Quadratec The shocks are like $123 after rebate... RS55329 RS55330 However, I encourage you to look at this thread also. http://www.wranglerforum.com/f202/most-popular-lift-shock-setup-on-wf-1136938.html You should avoid the Skyjacker, Superlift, Trailmaster, etc. cheap lifts with crappy shocks...
this is great info, I think I have decided on this lift and maybe those shocks, I have read many reviews on it and it sounds like a deal.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I have stock gearing it's a 2012 jeep jk 2 door wrangler sport s so whatever that has I can't seem to find what my gearing is
Go to jeep.com and scroll to the bottom and click on "contact us" and then on the left click on "equipment listing" and put your vin in and it will give you your build sheet and tell you what gears your jeep came with.

·
Registered
387 Posts
nothing worse than cheap unbalanced suspension, or something that rides like a total brick. do it as close to right the 1st time as possible. buy decent springs and shocks along with some swaybar links and plan to slowly keep adding parts as time passes. you could even start with spacers, new swaybar links front and rear and some shocks, ppl here seem to love the ranchos and the price seems right when on sale. then go from there. good luck & enjoy!

·
Super Moderator
8,238 Posts
Do not buy a spring suspension based on budget alone. This is just asking for problems. Buy a suspension because it is a GOOD kit. If this means waiting and saving pennies, it means waiting. And also be sure to have a bit of a slush fund - say you get the RE kit on and find out your caster stinks. Then you need drop brackets or control arms. You may need exhaust crossover. You will need a reprogrammer for the tires. For 35s, you should at bare minimum gusset your Cs. And so on. Big Jeeps are a pay to play sport.

If you have the 3.21 gearing, I suspect you may not like life on 35s much. Even the 3.73 will be marginal. A regear will run $1-2k, depending where you live.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Do not buy a spring suspension based on budget alone. This is just asking for problems. Buy a suspension because it is a GOOD kit. If this means waiting and saving pennies, it means waiting. And also be sure to have a bit of a slush fund - say you get the RE kit on and find out your caster stinks. Then you need drop brackets or control arms. You may need exhaust crossover. You will need a reprogrammer for the tires. For 35s, you should at bare minimum gusset your Cs. And so on. Big Jeeps are a pay to play sport. If you have the 3.21 gearing, I suspect you may not like life on 35s much. Even the 3.73 will be marginal. A regear will run $1-2k, depending where you live.
this and bjeepz response is a huge help, I understand how I'm going to have to add on and fix stuff down the road but I'm just leaving towards the RE kit because it's not expensive and doesn't involve a lot of work for the install. Just need to jack it up a bit to fit some big meaty 35s

·
Registered
73 Posts
No question, this is the best lift at this price point. You could even go with the version without shocks and add Rancho RS5000X while they are on rebate and get close to the $500 number. Rubicon Express RE7121 - Rubicon Express 2.5" Budget Boost Suspension System for 07-15 Jeep® Wrangler JK 2 Door - Quadratec The shocks are like $123 after rebate... RS55329 RS55330 However, I encourage you to look at this thread also. http://www.wranglerforum.com/f202/most-popular-lift-shock-setup-on-wf-1136938.html You should avoid the Skyjacker, Superlift, Trailmaster, etc. cheap lifts with crappy shocks...
I am probably going to install this lift kit with the Rancho 5000 shocks. Would there be anything else required or suggested with this kit such as exhaust spacers etc.? Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
16,383 Posts
I am probably going to install this lift kit with the Rancho 5000 shocks. Would there be anything else required or suggested with this kit such as exhaust spacers etc.? Thanks.
If '12 or newer, I would suggest a set of exhaust spacers and add a set of geometry correction brackets and don't use the cam washers.

Also make sure you get the 5000X shocks, not the old 5000.

Rubicon Express RE4532 - Rubicon Express Exhaust Spacer Kit for 12-16 Jeep® Wrangler & Wrangler Unlimited JK with 3.6L - Quadratec
Rubicon Express RE9800 - Rubicon Express Control Arm Drop Brackets for 07-16 Jeep® Wrangler & Wrangler Unlimited JK - Quadratec

1 - 20 of 21 Posts