Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 125 Posts

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know of the most recommended: Odyssey.

And I’ve personally had great success with Optima over the years, but what other brands (especially private label) AGM batteries do you recommend?

I need a pair of Group 34 size AGM batteries for my dual battery setup.

It seemed the Sears DieHard Platinum was highly recommended but I guess that’s no longer in production.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
I know of the most recommended: Odyssey.

And I’ve personally had great success with Optima over the years, but what other brands (especially private label) AGM batteries do you recommend?

I need a pair of Group 34 size AGM batteries for my dual battery setup.

It seemed the Sears DieHard Platinum was highly recommended but I guess that’s no longer in production.
Why not go with most recommended?

·
Registered
554 Posts
Everytime I go to Optima's website they say they don't have a battery that will fit my '17 JKU. Is there an issue with them or something?

·
Registered
8,924 Posts

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Why not go with most recommended?
Well... I frankly might. But before dropping half a grand on two batteries I wanted to see what was presently on the market.

It's also well documented that there are only a couple of battery manufacturers and they often release pricier batteries under private label brands for a fraction of the price (a good example is the DieHard Platinum which was a rebranded Odyssey).

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Well... I frankly might. But before dropping half a grand on two batteries I wanted to see what was presently on the market.

It's also well documented that there are only a couple of battery manufacturers and they often release pricier batteries under private label brands for a fraction of the price (a good example is the DieHard Platinum which was a rebranded Odyssey).
Valid point

·
Registered
1,868 Posts

Forgot to add, 4wp has them on sale from time to time

·
Registered
8,924 Posts
...(a good example is the DieHard Platinum which was a rebranded Odyssey).
They're both rebranded Enersys batteries.

JCI, Deka, & Exide make many fancy label and house brands too.

Reactions: WillB

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
15,021 Posts
Pep Boys has the Bosch brand often on sale... I paid around $139.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Pep Boys has the Bosch brand often on sale... I paid around $139.
I went Bosch AGM myself and bought a jump start setup. I have a 40q fridge in the Jeep and if it drains my battery I can just jump start it. The dual battery setup seemed like a pain in the ass. Plus, I already have a powerstroke that requires you to replace 2 batteries at a time which always sucks.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I went Bosch AGM myself and bought a jump start setup. I have a 40q fridge in the Jeep and if it drains my battery I can just jump start it. The dual battery setup seemed like a pain in the ass. Plus, I already have a powerstroke that requires you to replace 2 batteries at a time which always sucks.

I do a lot of backcountry dispersed camping in the Jeep so the dual battery is a nice option. I had the Genesis Offroad kit in my 2012 JKR and the kit is really awesome. It's really a great kit to install and use. The only pain is really just needing to buy two batteries!

I'm buying the Genesis Offroad kit again for the 2016 JKUHR as my wife and I felt that was probably the best mod we ever did to our 2012 JKR.

BTW the Genesis folks said you can use either Group 34 or Group 34M batteries in the kit... so long as they're the same height.

·
Premium Member
8,132 Posts
Odyssey and Northstar are the 2 big boys in the game, nothing else really comes close. Optima is the compromise battery, falling in between the big boys and the rest of the crowd. In most cases they will have 25% more power than the competition.

XS Power, popular with the competition stereo crowd has similar specs to the Odyssey and Northstar but falls short in all the test. And in most cases in more expensive.

I have seen both batteries for as cheap as $250ish so there are deals to be had if you search. My Diehard's, re-branded Odyssey's are going on there 5th year now. I have run the aux battery down to 6 volts and it comes back to a full charge every time. I will have no problem replacing them with Odyssey's again. That is unless something better comes out.

·
Registered
613 Posts
I have the East Penn/Deka/oreilly AGM 34r in my Nissan Frontier. Only been a year but seems ok. Trucks been parked for up to a month and still cranks over quik! Can't beat $169 for a USA agm. Deka has a great reputation if you check around.

Reactions: arjeeper

·
Registered
96 Posts
Bought my 56q fridge/freezer recently from the USA importer. He has a number of units on hand attached to battery systems and when I told him I was planning on the Optima, he said to save myself the disappointment and go with the Odyssey Extreme Series AGM. I don't remember precisely why, but I went Odyssey and haven't looked back. Just one more data point for you . . . as recommended by someone who has been using battery systems in an "industrial" way for years.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
I do a lot of backcountry dispersed camping in the Jeep so the dual battery is a nice option. I had the Genesis Offroad kit in my 2012 JKR and the kit is really awesome. It's really a great kit to install and use. The only pain is really just needing to buy two batteries!

I'm buying the Genesis Offroad kit again for the 2016 JKUHR as my wife and I felt that was probably the best mod we ever did to our 2012 JKR.

BTW the Genesis folks said you can use either Group 34 or Group 34M batteries in the kit... so long as they're the same height.
I don't see a need for two batteries. The only thing I leave on is my Dometic CFX-40 and it can go at least 48 hours set to -8F without draining my Bosch AGM to the point that it will no longer start. With today's LED lights using so little power compared with the old halogen day-lighters I just don't see a need for more reserve. Its more wiring and more weight for very little payback. I save the big batteries for my truck and my boat. For $100 you can get a good NOCO battery that is much lighter and portable. You can use it as a light or usb charger or remove it from the jeep and use it as a power source in a tent. I can't say I've had it for five years and its saved my ass yet, but it seems like a better idea than two batteries you may or may not ever have a need for. My truck needs two group 65 batteries just to crank the 444ci diesel over fast enough to ignite the diesel. When I first bought the truck I thought it was cool to have two batteries, but 16 years later I'm on #7 and #8. Its not fun anymore.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I don't see a need for two batteries. The only thing I leave on is my Dometic CFX-40 and it can go at least 48 hours set to -8F without draining my Bosch AGM to the point that it will no longer start. With today's LED lights using so little power compared with the old halogen day-lighters I just don't see a need for more reserve. Its more wiring and more weight for very little payback. I save the big batteries for my truck and my boat. For $100 you can get a good NOCO battery that is much lighter and portable. You can use it as a light or usb charger or remove it from the jeep and use it as a power source in a tent. I can't say I've had it for five years and its saved my ass yet, but it seems like a better idea than two batteries you may or may not ever have a need for. My truck needs two group 65 batteries just to crank the 444ci diesel over fast enough to ignite the diesel. When I first bought the truck I thought it was cool to have two batteries, but 16 years later I'm on #7 and #8. Its not fun anymore.
I certainly can't suggest that I must have two batteries.

I will say that when we're out in the woods listening to music, charging phones, lights, etc., that it's fantastic to just not need to even worry about the battery with the Genesis Dual setup.

Knowing that your starting battery is protected and that in the random case the starting battery dies, it can actually be jumped directly from the auxiliary battery... is sure great peace of mind.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
I certainly can't suggest that I must have two batteries.

I will say that when we're out in the woods listening to music, charging phones, lights, etc., that it's fantastic to just not need to even worry about the battery with the Genesis Dual setup.

Knowing that your starting battery is protected and that in the random case the starting battery dies, it can actually be jumped directly from the auxiliary battery... is sure great peace of mind.
Agree with this statement, for this reason is why I have a dual battery kit. It's just a peace of mind not having to worry about draining your starter battery. It certainly comes at a cost, but it is worth it imo

1 - 20 of 125 Posts