Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 130 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pretty new to Jeeps and as much as I love taking my rig off-road, I moving to the northeast and I've read that mud-terrains aren't very good in rain or snow. In anyone's experience, is this true? Winters up there are hit or miss with heavy snow but it still rains quite a bit. Would A/T's be a better option and which A/T's are the best?

Also, while we're on the topic of tires.. What are the widest tires I could run on stock rims and no lift?

At some point I'll lift that baby up but right now I'm thinking baby steps. I appreciate your guys responses..

·
Supporting Member
2,420 Posts
Goodyear Duratrac/Kelly Safari TSR. Esentially same tire made by same company, sold under different names. They are rated for winter driving and are aggressive enough for mud and technically an A/T. There are also less aggressive A/T's like the Falken Wildpeak.

-Dan

·
Registered
211 Posts
This is a question that is killing me too. Been 6 months trying to decide. I have had BFG AT KOs for years and love them, still have a set on my truck. Leaning towards the Duratracs now...but contiplating the new Toyo Open Country AT 2s. Look alot better than the old Toyos and a deeper tread.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I researched this some. I am going to be buying the Cooper AT3 all terrain tires. They are highly rated in tests and do well in every terrain category, hense, all-terrain. There are some You tube videos too you could watch. I put some beside some Falkens and there was no comparison. So, I'm going with the Coopers.

I also went to a large tire store in my town, who sells all the major brands. He stated he wouldn't use any Goodyears himself. Said they are terrible to balance and they have, in his opinion priced themselves out of many peoples wallets. I've been using Goodyear tires for many years and do notice all the weight that is used to balance the wheels.

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
Goodyear Duratrac/Kelly Safari TSR. Esentially same tire made by same company, sold under different names. They are rated for winter driving and are aggressive enough for mud and technically an A/T. There are also less aggressive A/T's like the Falken Wildpeak.

-Dan
X2 on the GY/Kelly. Great in slick stuff, light weight, long tread life...

Also, while we're on the topic of tires.. What are the widest tires I could run on stock rims and no lift?
Anything more than 10.5" wide, and you'll need either new wheels or wheel spacers. Not as bad as it sounds, though, cuz you can buy tires/wheels in the 15" or 16" size and save some coin...just make sure you buy wheels with backspacing of 4.5" or less. Confused by that statement? Read this: Largest tire on stock JK? Here's your answer!

·
Registered
634 Posts
I know everyone here is pro DT and understandably so but i would definately consider the falken rocky mountains(same as wild peaks). Same traction ratings as far as ive found researching them, aggressive looking and not as expensive compared to the DT's. I was even more happy with them once they arrived. Not to mention the falkens have a stronger sidewall compared to the DT's

·
Registered
26,921 Posts
With their siping the Falkens would be a commendable snow tire, but how do you know the sidewalls are stronger? Most tires have a two ply sidewall, the DTrac for one. There are tires with three ply sidewalls that are more cut and puncture resistant. Pro Comp and Cooper come to mind.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks alot, I was looking at BFG AT's but they're a pretty hefty expenditure. I'll look into the Toyos and Falkens.

So with anything past 10.5" I'd need spacers? Even with less then 4" in BS on aftermarket rims?

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
If you name a tire, I've used it. I've used them all.

Best AT tire on the market is the Hankook Dynapro ATM hands down.

Worst AT I've ever used is the Falken Rocky Mountain ATS (same as Wild Peak AT).

Lots of great ones that get honorable mention: Firestone Destination AT, Mastercraft Courser CT, Toyo Open Country AT, Treadwright Warden, General Grabber AT2, and just about any Cooper tire sold.

·
I AM THERE4 I JEEP
12,295 Posts
Thanks alot, I was looking at BFG AT's but they're a pretty hefty expenditure. I'll look into the Toyos and Falkens.

So with anything past 10.5" I'd need spacers? Even with less then 4" in BS on aftermarket rims?
Toyo tires are very heavy tires for a jeep. I wouldn't recommend them.

You can run a 33" tire with either 4.0, 4.5, or 3.75 of backspacing without issue. You do not need spacers when using a tire with correct backspacing.

·
Registered
571 Posts
With their siping the Falkens would be a commendable snow tire, but how do you know the sidewalls are stronger? Most tires have a two ply sidewall, the DTrac for one. There are tires with three ply sidewalls that are more cut and puncture resistant. Pro Comp and Cooper come to mind.
Three Ply sidewall on the Falken Wildpeaks.
Falken Wild Peak A/T Tires - Four Wheeler Magazine

Worst AT I've ever used is the Falken Rocky Mountain ATS (same as Wild Peak AT).
Can you tell me why it was the worst?

I'm about to pull the trigger on a set of these. They are priced within my budget and all I've read are good reviews about them. Thanks

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
Three Ply sidewall on the Falken Wildpeaks.
Falken Wild Peak A/T Tires - Four Wheeler Magazine

Can you tell me why it was the worst?

I'm about to pull the trigger on a set of these. They are priced within my budget and all I've read are good reviews about them. Thanks
Just look at the tread. You've basically got two open channels, and then some REALLY tight tread blocks on either side of the tire. There is no way for the tread to grab onto the snow. The design is so mild that in my opinion it's basically a HT instead of an AT tire. The "swoops" as I call them are clearly laid out in a manner that rolls with the surface, instead of against the surface, which is why the Falken is so quiet. But that same "feature" reduces the traction that this tire has in wet conditions. Mine wouldn't even pull up a wet grassy hill...much less snow. Also, the outer lugs are only 9/32nds deep when new, so it makes it hard for snow/rain to evacuate the tire. As this tire wears, you're going to end up with one solid bar of rubber around the outer edge before the center tread is half worn...not sure what Falken was thinking with that design. I consider the Falken to be a HT with very thick sidewalls...a strange combination.

People have been eating them up like candy because of the price. And some guys like them. But those same people would be amazed at the traction they'd pick up with a different set of tires.

I'm not even going to get into the weight of them or the balancing issues.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Just look at the tread. You've basically got two open channels, and then some REALLY tight tread blocks on either side of the tire. There is no way for the tread to grab onto the snow. The design is so mild that in my opinion it's basically a HT instead of an AT tire. The "swoops" as I call them are clearly laid out in a manner that rolls with the surface, instead of against the surface, which is why the Falken is so quiet. But that same "feature" reduces the traction that this tire has in wet conditions. Mine wouldn't even pull up a wet grassy hill...much less snow. Also, the outer lugs are only 9/32nds deep when new, so it makes it hard for snow/rain to evacuate the tire. As this tire wears, you're going to end up with one solid bar of rubber around the outer edge before the center tread is half worn...not sure what Falken was thinking with that design. I consider the Falken to be a HT with very thick sidewalls...a strange combination.

People have been eating them up like candy because of the price. And some guys like them. But those same people would be amazed at the traction they'd pick up with a different set of tires.

I'm not even going to get into the weight of them or the balancing issues.
thanks for your opinion on the Falkens. I also read your review of them in the Tire/Wheel thread. I'm just baffled by why there are so many good reviews out there, including this one. edit:eek:ne more review

Falken Wildpeak A/T Tire - Jp Magazine

http://project-jk.com/jeep-jk-new/falken-wild-peak-at-they-get-you-goingby-discount-tires-direct

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
If you've only used a couple of tires, then you get the Falkens, of course you'd think they're great. You don't have much to compare to. That's my guess.

The picture above...a Falken mounted on a steel wheel...I cringe thinking about how much that combo must weigh. I'm going to say probably in the 90-100 lb. range. Ouch. So you save $20 per tire by going with the Falkens up front...then every time you get in the Jeep and drive it you're burning more gasoline to turn those tires over. Gasoline = $$$$. So after a few months, the Falkens are actually costing you more, not saving you anything.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I researched this some. I am going to be buying the Cooper AT3 all terrain tires. They are highly rated in tests and do well in every terrain category, hense, all-terrain. There are some You tube videos too you could watch. I put some beside some Falkens and there was no comparison. So, I'm going with the Coopers.

I also went to a large tire store in my town, who sells all the major brands. He stated he wouldn't use any Goodyears himself. Said they are terrible to balance and they have, in his opinion priced themselves out of many peoples wallets. I've been using Goodyear tires for many years and do notice all the weight that is used to balance the wheels.
Not quite sure why you felt the need to post that in giant letters......
Sounds like you found a tire shop thats trying to move some other inventory. Very rarely do you see anyone regret Duratracs, and you see more recommendations for them than any other tire here and on other forums....for a reason, they are fantastic tires. I've run several different brands, and would put Duratracs at the top of the A/T list, and its not even close....I liked BFGs, but they just arent in the same class, and Nittos (except for the Trail Grappler) are absolute crap.

1 - 20 of 130 Posts