Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
I have an ARB onboard and have been very impressed with it she puts out some air for sure. Quality product.

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
I have a dual compressor ARB mounted underneath where my muffler used to be. On paper, this is the "most powerful" OB out there, technically better than the Viair. Having said that, i had to completely deflate one of my 37x12.5x17's. It took a really, really long time to get it back to the 26 psi i run on pavement.

I asked a friend why. i told him i had the highest psi I could put on a Jeep. He pointed out with big tires, it's mot psi that matters most. It's the volume of air. All of the OB's and carry-arounds have that problem. I think I'll be fine for airing back up from 12-ish because the tire will have a lot of air in it.

WERE I TO DO IT OVER, I would not go with OBA. Instead, I would go with compressed CO2. I would get a 6 or 10 lb tank from Power Tank and the fittings. People I've talked to in my club who have one love it. They say close your eyes, hit the "Pay Now" button, and don't look back. One thing, in particular, they said is better over OBA is a compressed gas tank will reseal a bead that's come off the rim easily and instantly. The low volume from OBA not so much, althogh with learned technique, it can also be done.

If I had one, my biggest concern would be theft. Hanging it on the rear swing away like a water can is the last thing I'd do.

Jerry

·
Registered
884 Posts
IAS!!!
Instant Air Supply. I run his 10lb tank and I love it. My friend runs the ARB OB system on his jku and he's going to IAS for his non locker air needs just as soon as they have another sale.

·
Registered
799 Posts
I use a portable Viair with a 100% duty cycle. Essentially it pumps at a lower rate so the unit will not overheat. I can go from 20-40psi in four stock rubicon BFG KM2s in about 15 minutes. I would prefer to have an onboard ARB setup, but for the cost, I liked the viair so I can put it in my tow truck for hauling too.

VIAIR Corporation - 450P-Automatic Compressor (P/N 45043)

·
Registered
702 Posts

·
Registered
799 Posts
For what its worth on the cheap end of the spectrum -

http://www.pepboys.com/product/details/9357343/00700

Been doing me a good job. Learned about it from others here raving about it. On sale right now and can get another 25% off.
I had one of those for a couple years when I owned my 2007 rubicon. It worked well for a while, but eventually the motor died. I think I paid around $40 for it back then. It's definitely a good deal if it will last for a while.

·
Registered
884 Posts
What does it cost to fill a CO2 tank and how long will a fill last?
Cost was about 12-15 bucks and they are supposed to fill about 20 35" tires from 12 psi to 25 psi if I recall correctly. I've used mine 3 times to fill my tires back up (31's) and my brothers twice (35's) and it's still full.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts