Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. Please point me in the right direction... I need a ring and pinion for my tj... I need a rear for a 35... Its a 3:07 ...Id LOVE to be able to get a used one this weekend in a perfect world.... My number is 607.259.2587 if ya need it! Thanks and happy holidays!

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
Hey guys. Please point me in the right direction... I need a ring and pinion for my tj... I need a rear for a 35... Its a 3:07 ...Id LOVE to be able to get a used one this weekend in a perfect world.... My number is 607.259.2587 if ya need it! Thanks and happy holidays!
look around.. try craigslist..

after havin mine in the garage for over a year.. i gave mine away the last time i was at my parents.. my buddy has it.. dunno what hes doing with it tho..

·
Knows a couple things...
49,381 Posts
The cost savings of a used vs. new ring & pinion gearset is insignificant unless you are installing it yourself. That is because the labor cost is so high to install them. And sometimes, the installer will charge more to set up a used R&P because it take more time since he has to work harder/longer to get the gears repositioned exactly where they were before... so the gears mesh/touch where they became work-hardened in their previous location.

I had an installer install used gears for me once and he had to spend much more time getting them set up properly and wanted to charge me more for his extra time. Never again will I go with used gears. :)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks all, and thanks for the advice. I'll be gboin that route.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
And if you're dropping dime on a new R&P set, you might as well upgrade to at least 3.73. That way you're running a stronger carrier and can upgrade to lower gears in the future.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts