Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
7,150 Posts
X2

·
Registered
14 Posts
Having a shop bend and weld up a competition rated cage might not be alot more expensive than one that you order out of a catolog after shipping. It depends on how many bars you have them add to it. A basic cage is usually about $1000 or so and then 30 or 40$ for each additional bar. Find a shop that specializes in rollcages and get them to give you a quote and then compare that to the price of a bolt in after shipping. It may cost a couple hundred more dollars but If I pulled out in front of a tractor trailer or something I would definately want a welded cage.

·
Registered
7,150 Posts
Check with any local circle track racers. It's big in Kansas, so there's a circle track racer on every block it seems. Find out who welds their chassis. Around here, full caged chassis for certain race classes have to be certified (I have no idea what is entailed in getting certified, I don't circle track), so you know the guys welding them have to be good. I've got a local chassis fabricator here who is supposed to be doing some cage work for me when he gets around to it. It was supposed to be sometime this winter, but it might end up being sometime this spring. Either way, I feel comfortable having a guy with that kind of experience weld up my cage. Just check around your area for a racer, strike up a conversation and find out who does his rollcage work.

·
Drives by Braille
13,642 Posts
i wasnt planning on spending more than 500 really. so looks like itll be on the backburner till i can afford it!
You don't need a full on cage, just add the stock one. I know a number of guys that have done this with great results. If they are a good enough fab guy, you can get a very strong cage made from the stocker.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I've seen two different MORE bolt in cages take pretty violent rolls in Moab and hold up beautifully. One of them tweaked a couple bars, but the driver was totally unharmed. The other cage wasn't damaged at all. Both cages had frame tie-ins. Don't think that bolt in means it can't take a hit.

That said, personally I like the A-Z fab cage. But only because it has a cleaner install.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
I have the ORF front cage, bolted up easy had no issues with install. Stu Olson had a review with pics on his site of a lady who flopped it on a trail and it held up fine. Just my 2 cents!!

·
Registered
376 Posts
I did a LOT of research on this when I was looking into a cage for my TJ. I called or-fab and the first thing out of the guys mouth was "this is a sport cage. Not meant for a roll over"... WTF, why would I want it then? Also, I'm not trying to talk down on the bolt-in cages, but they don't use DOM (drawn over mandrel) tubing. They use HREW (hot rolled electric welded) tubing which is less strong than DOM... Poison Spyder makes a really nice trail cage, made of DOM, designed to give you an A-pillar support, cross windshield support, and across the dashboard support. The whole kit is 8 pieces and something like $500. You have to weld it in, but it is all cut to fit and it IS rated for roll overs.

·
Registered
456 Posts
If you watch that video, you can see that thing rolling down Hell's Gate twice and then landing upside down. Pretty brutal. :eek:

Having seen the bolt on cage withstand that, I would still say a welded cage is superior. But apparently, your "cheap" bolt on cage isn't exactly a porcelain teapot.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
If you want to go with a bolt in, check out RockHard . . . they seem to be the most popular when it comes to the bolt in version . . . not cheap, but I've seen some videos of some pretty nasty roll overs where they held up well. Be sure to add on the extra pieces that go down thru the floor . . . they also sell frame tie-ins that can be added for even more strength.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I also have the OR-FAB cage and like Devil Dog Doc mentioned, there is evidence that it will provide some protection.

This is the Jeep in Stu's website:

The rest of the pictures and a video of the roll can be found here.
TBT Sports Bar Rollover
There is no doubt that that was a bad roll over and the cage held up well, but the original post said he wants it for a street roll over, which could be much worse in terms of impact on the a-pillar. I don't know if the bolt-in options are strong enough to hold up.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts