Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to get some 33s fellas
Tires will be on my DD weekend warrior so I need something that is decent for roads but still aggressive and tough offroad
Any ideas?

·
Registered
52 Posts
BFGs for sure. I dont have them but they sure look good and heard they wear pretty well. im going to grab some 33's once i get the lift

·
Knows a couple things...
49,121 Posts
Goodyear MT/R wth their kevlar sidewall is about the toughest tire you can get that is still good for the road. It's not cheap but it's hard to beat. BFG's sidewalls, with the exception of the BFG Krawler, are not a sidewall I'd be happy with.... they are too easily cut when confronted with sharp rocks. I've had three sets of BFGs. one AT KO and two MT KM, and all three had sidewall puncture problems.

·
Premium Member
8,897 Posts
I've only got about 500 miles on my Goodyear MTR/k's but they drive pretty good and so far have worked well off road.

·
Registered
3,197 Posts
I have GY Duratracs but since I tore a 2-ply poly sidewall on them I'll likely go with MTRs on the next set. That is unless I hit mega milliions and can afford a tow vehicle and trailer. Then I'll get some pit bulls.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Love my BFG KM2 tires but....... Some good rock rides this weekend I slides inside sidewall of back tire. Sucks. Guessing they are not that tuff or perhaps just perfect hit and the right spot. I well.

I plan on MT/R Kevlars next tire with very good review and reasons

·
Registered
6 Posts
Mickey thompson baja mtz are crap for road use. I currently have them on my tj and they are great offroad but crap and dont last long on road. Depends if its your everyday driver like my jeep. Ive been told maxxis bighorns are great offroad and last long on the road too. Also you may have issues with the side walls of micky tees.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Duratracs if you're on the road a ton and not too much offroad.

If you're frequently out offroad then go MTR's

Or just get MTR's n be done with it..

·
Registered
68 Posts
I don't know about sidewall strength, but in my experience BFG A/T have worked great for me. Quiet on the road and last for ever. Ok, not for ever but got 65k out of my last set on my pickup. Probably last less on the jeep though. Great rain and snow traction. Mine never meet sharp rocks, just the occasional nail or screw.

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
A lot depends on where you wheel. I don't like the MT-Rs on the trails I run as they have very poor grip when off camber and the trails are wet or muddy. I've changed more sliced MT-Rs than any other tire because of the rig sliding off the trail and into something. Most have changed tires or taken tire grovers to them. So what works for some in Cali might not work for some one in PA or NY. you really need to find out what local guys are running and their likes and dislikes in their chosen tires.

·
Registered
314 Posts
JamesP85 said:
Mickey thompson baja mtz are crap for road use. I currently have them on my tj and they are great offroad but crap and dont last long on road. Depends if its your everyday driver like my jeep. Ive been told maxxis bighorns are great offroad and last long on the road too. Also you may have issues with the side walls of micky tees.
My TJ came with Maxxis Bighorns. I'm surprised and pleased with on-road performance, but they're LOUD. Good in rain (there's the surprise to me). I've been in some big rain at speed and it still felt connected and handled deep puddles well too. The loud doesn't bother me at all - it's a Jeep, not a Caddy!

·
Registered
314 Posts
geoffmarton said:
My TJ came with Maxxis Bighorns. I'm surprised and pleased with on-road performance, but they're LOUD. Good in rain (there's the surprise to me). I've been in some big rain at speed and it still felt connected and handled deep puddles well too. The loud doesn't bother me at all - it's a Jeep, not a Caddy!
PS: only offload I've been able to do is on sand. They've been GREAT there too. Last week I watched an F250 4wd (appeared stock) get buried and I had zero trouble. In 4wd, unlocked d44/d30.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts