Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey i have a 97 tj and i am have been looking around for a computer chip/tuner to optimize gas mileage. I was looking at the Bully dog triple dog but wanted to get some suggestions first. Thanks

·
Registered
124 Posts
Programers will not provide much of anything on a gas burner. Save your money, I have been down that road with my f150, $400 for an edge programmer and the only difference I could tell was a much lighter wallet. It did nothing for gas mileage and I had to run premium in it.

·
Registered
598 Posts
I dont think a Jeep was made for gas saving...CAI, Programmers and other mods for "gas saving" have been discussed numerous times. General Consensus is to not waste money on trying to save gas on a gas burner.

·
Registered
4,110 Posts
Use the money to buy gas. Nothing will make the bread box get better fuel economy.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,633 Posts
Save your $$$, no reprogramming of the PCM is going to help improve mpg. The automotive manufacturers are all DESPERATE to improve their average fleet mpgs even a tiny amount to keep the EPA happy and if they could do so with just some minor reprogramming of the PCM without negatively affecting something else, they would have already done it.

·
Registered
65 Posts
The key to improving fuel economy is how you drive (accelerate gradually) and how tuned/lubed things are. Clean air filters and regular oil changes (including oil filters) is the only way to improve fuel efficiency.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
I have a trailjammer EXT. It has a gas miser program.. So I tried it.. well, I get better mileage with the 87 oct performance tune.. prob is, with the gas mileage tune, it runs so wimpy that you constantly downshift to maintain highway speeds. maybe if you dont drive it as hard or as fast as I do, it might work, but it didnt for me.

Dana

·
Registered
71 Posts
Hey i have a 97 tj and i am have been looking around for a computer chip/tuner to optimize gas mileage. I was looking at the Bully dog triple dog but wanted to get some suggestions first. Thanks
While on the topic of improving mileage anyone know anything about Hydrogen generators for auto use?

·
Registered
4,110 Posts
While on the topic of improving mileage anyone know anything about Hydrogen generators for auto use?
You need to install those next to the flux capacitor.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Atthehop said:
You need to install those next to the flux capacitor.
Actually if it's too close to the flux capacitor you might get stuck in between time periods. I would suggest mounting it to the window like an old swamp coolers first put on cars.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,633 Posts
Again, don't waste your $$$ on shit that promises better MPG. It won't happen. If it was as easy as changing the software Jeep would have done it due to the intense pressure to improve mpg they received from the EPA. They weren't able to so they dropped the 2.5 and 4.0 engines. They had done what they could and eventually had to drop those engines entirely.

·
Registered
6 Posts
First and foremost do your maintenance. Change your fluids especially in your axles since most people do not, if you have a manual transmission change it as well. Fresh fluids are going to cut down friction. I have given mine a full tune up cleaned out a lot of the top end. If sea foam makes a hot soak that you can use to clean out the intake and upper part of your engine. By highly recommended doing this especially if you or you know that your Jeep has ran Ethel based fuels. I had a land cruiser years ago that had probably a quarter inch of gunk all over the inside of the intake from running pure Ethel fuel cleaning you're cleaning that out really gave it a power boost. I've also replaced a couple of sensors that lose efficiency (TPS, O2) with and see with age as well as the gigantic coil bar. Not only did my mileage increase but now I've nicknamed my Jeep the flying brick because it's like a little square race car. But driving it like a race car isn't good for MPG 😁

Now on to the other stuff.

On a GM vehicle there is a system called VATS. I do not know what the Chrysler equivalent would be but it in essence is what makes a cars computer relearn its set parameters.This is why people can put something in their vehicle like say a K&N filter or better exhaust that supposed to increase fuel mileage and you will see the increase for a week or two and then mileage will return back to normal. The computer has re learned its parameters and gone back to its default programming.

I have an S10 crew cab that I had the computer programmed. Prior to do about 15 maybe 16 on the highway and now it will do 20 to 22. Don't get me wrong the S10 is much more aero (and that other typo too) dynamic than my little brick but whatever Chrysler has as a VATS equivalent should be the first start if you want MPG from the computer.

Hydrogen generation as a partial can work but as I said the computer is going to return to default if it is not hacked and reprogrammed for it. Yet the smaller kids the people sell are fun experiments but they're not as efficient or good as trying to recreate a proper generator. A friend of mine and I were in the process of recreating Stanley Meyer's experiment, but his girlfriend didn't like me anymore and he couldn't come play.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts