Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of January's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm currently running 35s with a rough country 4 inch x series lift, and as I now know, the rc springs and shocks are pretty crappy. I'm probably gonna pull the trigger on the rancho rs9000xl's and was wondering if anyone had spring suggestions to go with these shocks, or good springs in general?

I was considering the RK 3-4.5 inch triple rate coils, but I'm still not sure. Anyone have experience with these?

·
Premium Member
16,746 Posts
Hi, I'm currently running 35s with a rough country 4 inch x series lift, and as I now know, the rc springs and shocks are pretty crappy. I'm probably gonna pull the trigger on the rancho rs9000xl's and was wondering if anyone had spring suggestions to go with these shocks, or good springs in general?

I was considering the RK 3-4.5 inch triple rate coils, but I'm still not sure. Anyone have experience with these?
How much weight are you running? Bumpers, winch, skids, rails, etc.

RK's are good springs for a medium build... If you are lighter weight, the OME's and Eibach's are excellent choices. I am also a big fan of the Synergy springs for a medium build. If you are heavy, Clayton, Metalcloak and even Rubicon Express.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey, Pressurized. I am running steel front and rear bumpers with a stinger, a winch, and rear tire carrier with a 35 inch tire. I also have stock rubicon rock rails put on. No skids yet, but I do plan on it in the future.

·
Premium Member
16,746 Posts
Hey, Pressurized. I am running steel front and rear bumpers with a stinger, a winch, and rear tire carrier with a 35 inch tire. I also have stock rubicon rock rails put on. No skids yet, but I do plan on it in the future.
I think the RK's are a good choice for you.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I just replaced my Rough Country springs with Metalcloak ones. The difference on and off road was very noticeable. Money well spent.

·
Premium Member
16,746 Posts
Pressurized... would you recommend synergy over RK?
Those would be the 2 that I would pick from in your situation. I'm leaning RK if I were doing it on my Jeep and that height... If you were a little lower like 2.5, I'd probably do the Synergy springs.

Metalcloak doesn't have many dealers, they do a large portion of their business direct. If you go to their website, is shipping to Canada an option?

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Those would be the 2 that I would pick from in your situation. I'm leaning RK if I were doing it on my Jeep and that height... If you were a little lower like 2.5, I'd probably do the Synergy springs.

Metalcloak doesn't have many dealers, they do a large portion of their business direct. If you go to their website, is shipping to Canada an option?
Thanks again. I just realized that metal cloak does ship to Canada direct(its a little more expensive but they do it). In this case, would you recommend their spings over the others? They also have long travel rocksport shocks. They are not adjustable but would these be better than the ranchos?

·
Premium Member
16,746 Posts
Thanks again. I just realized that metal cloak does ship to Canada direct(its a little more expensive but they do it). In this case, would you recommend their spings over the others? They also have long travel rocksport shocks. They are not adjustable but would these be better than the ranchos?
I don't have personal experience with the Rocksport shocks. But I am a Metalcloak fan and Matson builds some awesome stuff. However, I also really like the Rancho 9000XL shocks for their adjustability. I still think I would lean towards the RK 3.5 springs and the Rancho 31 and 32 shocks.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I don't have personal experience with the Rocksport shocks. But I am a Metalcloak fan and Matson builds some awesome stuff. However, I also really like the Rancho 9000XL shocks for their adjustability. I still think I would lean towards the RK 3.5 springs and the Rancho 31 and 32 shocks.
I was thinking this myself, since a local shop can get the Ranchos and the RKs in with no shipping cost to myself.

·
Super Moderator
8,052 Posts
I think the MC stuff is nicer than the RK stuff.
I have the yellow version of the RockSport shocks (OME), and they work well. I liked them more than the Rancho shocks I tried.

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
I have Rancho 9000's. They are a decent shock however I am in the rust belt and the little plastic adjusters leak. I know they suggest filling them with grease. It works for a while. Secondly I am real tired of ALWAYS replacing the plastic adjusters after doing rocks. Plastic is NOT for off roading... Period. I know they send you replacements but its a PITA. I will probably switch to rocksports or something other than the Ranchos. BTW I have a new one in the box. Minus the adjuster. Happy Jeeping

Reactions: Andrew Welsh

·
Super Moderator
8,052 Posts
Did you try the Rancho 9000s?
No, I tried a set of the 5000 series Rancho's. I know some people are very happy with the Rancho shocks, but they are simply nice but cheap shocks. They are better than the stock shocks, but most shocks are. The adjustable aspect sounds nice. But the current set of shocks I have on are not adjustable and they seem to work well. If I get an adjustable set of shocks they will be a high quality adjustable shock like the Falcons.
The Rancho shocks are great shocks for what they cost, but if you can afford better shocks there are better shocks out there for a bit more money in my opinion. The great thing about the Rancho shocks is you can try them and if you don't like them you aren't out much. That is where I ended up. I thought it can't hurt to try them as they were only an extra $100 for all 4 on top of the set of springs they came with (the Rancho 2" progressive spring kit). Sadly, in the end I am out the full $500 as I did not like the springs either. But even then it isn't that much money. If that is my worst mistake in building this Jeep I will be doing good.
And I do feel compelled to add that many people are happy with the Rancho stuff. I am in the minority it seems. I would try them again if I saw something else from them that I wanted to try. I think they are a decent company who stands behind their stuff.

·
Premium Member
16,746 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I bought mine direct from their website. I also have a local shop that's a Metalcloak dealer, so I've gotten some stuff through them as well.

Do you have the 3.5 inch RockSport kit? If so how do you find it? Good ride? Originally I was going to go with Ranchos and Rock Krawler shocks, but recently I’ve been thinking about going with Metalcloak for both.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 25 Posts