Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this will most likely spark a debate.........However, I would like to hear opinions/reasons for choosing a certain brand over another. I recently installed a 3.5" Rubicon Express lift on my JKUR. Doing some research, I found prices ranging from $699 to $1300 for a full set of adjustable control arms (short). What do my fellow Jeepers think is the best kit out there and why. Keep in mind, I am a weekend warrior and my Jeep is a daily driver.

·
Premium Member
554 Posts
My vote goes to RK, My jeep is my DD and also my camping/trail rig. Lifetime warranty on all hard parts, arms are solid all the way through, Kjeeper has a few threads on the new joints, and from youtube videos reviewing RK and Kjeepers threads I was sold on the new joints and quality of the arms. I haven't heard very many complaints about them either. Metal cloak was also a close choice, but I don't like the dual bushings that resemble stock, seems like the metal casing outside the bushing would be clamped by the CA bracket which completely defeats the purpose of flex at least left to right anyways. Teraflex I believe you can adjust them while their bolted up which would be nice vs RK's setup but you only adjust them once so its not a big deal I suppose....Any ways sorry for rambling IMO RK.

·
Super Moderator
14,533 Posts
We are going through a little evolutionary stage on joints/bushings right now so it will be interesting to see where this thread goes.

The gold standard (pun intended) was the Metalcloaks for their Duroflex bushing which had great NVH, excellent mis-alignment and good durability although it does need to be rebuilt every now and then.

Synergy has introduced their Dual Durometer maintenance free bushing and it has even higher misalignment than the MC's. They use it on both ends of the fixed arms and on one end of their adjustables with a Johnny Joint on the other end. Not to mention that their adjustables are far and away the easiest to adjust with their clamp design.

RK just came out with their new joints and they seem to be highly thought of as well. @kjeeper10 has a full set as well as some others here on WF.

I would say that if you are looking for "best", you will need to buy something with "next generation" joints like those above.

I have reworked my arm plans and I think I will be putting in the fixed Synergy's on both lowers and their adjustables on both uppers. I used to shy away from fixed arms because they all had clevite bushings and then I bought a set of TF fixed and I'm happy with them for what they do... But I know I want next gen bushings when I can.

·
Registered
5,701 Posts
Debate is good. :) There are two main things you should focus on when selecting control arms:

1. The type of joints which affect articulation, ride quality and maintenance
2. Geometry (which many overlook)

The MC arms (upper end of the price range) do a very good job on articulation and ride quality. Maintenance still requires removing the arms.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the input guys. After doing my research, it seemed as if Metal Cloak had the best set up due to the alignment factor and the Duroflex bushings. Although I was not aware there was maintenance involved on these arms. The 4 that I was looking at were RK, MC and Teraflex and Curry. These are obviously the top brands. I don't want to thrash on my Jeep (not yet at least) but I want to put good parts on. I don't really want to go through the ball busting learning curve of buying stuff and learning it was junk afterwards , then ending up buying the good equipment and kicking myself for not going with quality to begin with. Is Metal Cloak worth getting for my limited amount of time to off road or is something else better suited for my needs. I've run Broken Arrow and "The Steps" and plan on hitting some more advanced trails in Big Bear this summer so I do get out. I just want drive-ability, comfort as well as durability and dependability.

·
Super Moderator
14,533 Posts
You could go Synergy but with fixed lowers and adjustable uppers. Much easier install and setup (no jam nuts)!
That sounds very familiar.... :thumb:

·
Registered
738 Posts
Thanks for the input guys. After doing my research, it seemed as if Metal Cloak had the best set up due to the alignment factor and the Duroflex bushings. Although I was not aware there was maintenance involved on these arms. The 4 that I was looking at were RK, MC and Teraflex and Curry. These are obviously the top brands. I don't want to thrash on my Jeep (not yet at least) but I want to put good parts on. I don't really want to go through the ball busting learning curve of buying stuff and learning it was junk afterwards , then ending up buying the good equipment and kicking myself for not going with quality to begin with. Is Metal Cloak worth getting for my limited amount of time to off road or is something else better suited for my needs. I've run Broken Arrow and "The Steps" and plan on hitting some more advanced trails in Big Bear this summer so I do get out. I just want drive-ability, comfort as well as durability and dependability.
I wanted to bring this post back up because you sound just like me. Hurricanehb, what lift did you go with? How is it so far?

Everyone else ( especially kjeeper & pressurized and Jason at Krawl ), I've read about and or watched all the videos I can find on these products and Metal Cloak does a fine job on selling me on there Game Changer lift....but I worry about the maintainance required in the Duroflex bushings. On the other hand I've read where guys haven't taken a Duroflex bushing apart in 20k miles and everything is fine.

I don't mind the simple maintainance of the Rock Krawler arms where you just drop some 3 in 1 oil in the bushing at an oil change.

Jam nuts....I've had jam nuts on arms on my Porsche before. Always had to keep an eye on them and check torque. Real pain....so the Metal Cloak and Rock Krawler arms seem to be jam nuts correct? The Synergy arms are not jam nuts correct?

Which arms will stay tightened the best, require less and easy maintainance or no maintainance and also provide the best on road and on trail ride?

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
I wanted to bring this post back up because you sound just like me. Hurricanehb, what lift did you go with? How is it so far?

Everyone else ( especially kjeeper & pressurized and Jason at Krawl ), I've read about and or watched all the videos I can find on these products and Metal Cloak does a fine job on selling me on there Game Changer lift....but I worry about the maintainance required in the Duroflex bushings. On the other hand I've read where guys haven't taken a Duroflex bushing apart in 20k miles and everything is fine.

I don't mind the simple maintainance of the Rock Krawler arms where you just drop some 3 in 1 oil in the bushing at an oil change.

Jam nuts....I've had jam nuts on arms on my Porsche before. Always had to keep an eye on them and check torque. Real pain....so the Metal Cloak and Rock Krawler arms seem to be jam nuts correct? The Synergy arms are not jam nuts correct?

Which arms will stay tightened the best, require less and easy maintainance or no maintainance and also provide the best on road and on trail ride?
About 20K on my MC arms (front lower) so far and all is good.

·
Super Moderator
14,533 Posts
As per my post above, I have moved from the TF fixed arms to the Synergy fixed arms that have the Dual Durometer bushing in both ends and it was definitely a positive move. Both the wife and I noticed a difference in the drive...

I am doubling down on my thought of Synergy fixed lowers front and rear and adjustable uppers. I dig the ground clearance built in to the lowers:

·
Premium Member
691 Posts
I keep reading about maintaining the MC joints... According to MC, I asked, they do not require maintenance. You will not find a recommended maintenance schedule for those joints. Perhaps because they can be rebuilt or disassembled folks don't trust them? Am I missing something here?

I have the MC kit and really like it. Great NVH and amazing offroad. That being said I really hate jam nuts. If doing it again I would be looking hard at Synergy. Tough decision!

·
Registered
135 Posts
I keep reading about maintaining the MC joints... According to MC, I asked, they do not require maintenance. You will not find a recommended maintenance schedule for those joints. Perhaps because they can be rebuilt or disassembled folks don't trust them? Am I missing something here?

I have the MC kit and really like it. Great NVH and amazing offroad. That being said I really hate jam nuts. If doing it again I would be looking hard at Synergy. Tough decision!
Strange... that they would say so...

I also read about this in another post, that they required maintenance once per year and that it meant taking them off to do so. Hence I went to their web site today, pulled up the mounting description for their control arms and whoops... there it was:

" B. Use the provided Synthetic Silicon/Teflon Lubricant to lightly coat the outside of the Duroflex Bushing, paying special attention to partially filling the outside diameter grooves.
Note: Once a year the bushings should be
disassembled and fresh lubricant applied. Use of any B other lubricant may seriously impact the life and
performance of the Duroflex joints, and will void the
MetalCloak warranty. "

(Copied and pasted directly form their installation manual on their web site) So, unless they have forgotten to change their documentation, I guess it is quite clear.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Thanks Pouls1, I'm sure Metal Cloak is great stuff but having to pull all 8 arms and go through 16 Duroflex bushings every year and get a re alignment is NOT something I want to do.

Rock Krawler says at oil changes to remove the zero fitting and drop a few drops of 3&1 oil in. That is doable!

Pressurized, what is the maintainance schedule for the Synergy arms rubber bushings?

·
Registered
135 Posts
As per my post above, I have moved from the TF fixed arms to the Synergy fixed arms that have the Dual Durometer bushing in both ends and it was definitely a positive move. Both the wife and I noticed a difference in the drive...

I am doubling down on my thought of Synergy fixed lowers front and rear and adjustable uppers. I dig the ground clearance built in to the lowers:

Hi Pressurized,

Read the following about the set of control arms on Synergy's web: "The arms will allow the use of OEM wheels with larger tires without the requirement of an additional wheel spacer" I am thinking of starting out with my OEM Rubicon rims with a larger tire. I have pretty much decided on the 2,5 flex st 1 after advice from Kjeeper and you, but haven't pulled the plug yet. However, this caught my eye and also your description above. Do you know anything about how much larger tire it would accommodate without a spacer?

·
Registered
135 Posts
Thanks Pouls1, I'm sure Metal Cloak is great stuff but having to pull all 8 arms and go through 16 Duroflex bushings every year and get a re alignment is NOT something I want to do.

Rock Krawler says at oil changes to remove the zero fitting and drop a few drops of 3&1 oil in. That is doable!

Pressurized, what is the maintainance schedule for the Synergy arms rubber bushings?
Yes, I am sure too. Never read anything bad, and I have read A LOT, over the past year :) I thought I would go down that road for a while... But I got guided on to what seems the right path :)

·
Super Moderator
14,533 Posts
Hi Pressurized,

Read the following about the set of control arms on Synergy's web: "The arms will allow the use of OEM wheels with larger tires without the requirement of an additional wheel spacer" I am thinking of starting out with my OEM Rubicon rims with a larger tire. I have pretty much decided on the 2,5 flex st 1 after advice from Kjeeper and you, but haven't pulled the plug yet. However, this caught my eye and also your description above. Do you know anything about how much larger tire it would accommodate without a spacer?
They definitely curve in and would allow a bigger tire... I'll see if I can get a measurement tonight when I get home.

·
Super Moderator
53,758 Posts
Thanks Pouls1, I'm sure Metal Cloak is great stuff but having to pull all 8 arms and go through 16 Duroflex bushings every year and get a re alignment is NOT something I want to do. Rock Krawler says at oil changes to remove the zero fitting and drop a few drops of 3&1 oil in. That is doable! Pressurized, what is the maintainance schedule for the Synergy arms rubber bushings?
RK's new joints take reg grease.
The old joints 3/1 oil.

·
Super Moderator
14,533 Posts

·
Premium Member
691 Posts
Strange... that they would say so...

I also read about this in another post, that they required maintenance once per year and that it meant taking them off to do so. Hence I went to their web site today, pulled up the mounting description for their control arms and whoops... there it was:

" B. Use the provided Synthetic Silicon/Teflon Lubricant to lightly coat the outside of the Duroflex Bushing, paying special attention to partially filling the outside diameter grooves.
Note: Once a year the bushings should be
disassembled and fresh lubricant applied. Use of any B other lubricant may seriously impact the life and
performance of the Duroflex joints, and will void the
MetalCloak warranty. "

(Copied and pasted directly form their installation manual on their web site) So, unless they have forgotten to change their documentation, I guess it is quite clear.
Well, guess I did miss something because I looked around their site and didn't find it. That is why I asked them. Thanks for digging that up.

I don't have the emails in front of me but I asked, and then asked again for clarification because I was surprised.

In fact they stated they have been running them on their rigs since initial install (a couple years at this point I assume) and have seen no issues and have not performed maintenance.

Sorry all for the confusion. Guess it is on their website, but that isn't what I was told. :what:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts