Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Best cover, when parked in a Garage ?

Hello, just looking for a nice cover, when I have my rig parked in my garage ..

Any one better than the other? Seems like they are priced from about $60 to $400??

Rampage makes one for about $60
Smittybilt $120
RR $140
covercraft $200 - $300
there seem to be a ton more ..

Any help! :) Thanks

·
Registered
830 Posts
Why not just use a tarp? I presume you're just trying to keep sawdust or the like off? Just seems weird to me to cover it in the garage..

If it'll never be used outdoors I'd get the cheapest one that covers what you need.

·
Registered
851 Posts
I haven't looked any of those up but you want a breathable one. Like cotton. Otherwise condensation can build up and ruin your paint.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Old sheet?

Condensation isn't always a problem, if your garage is conditioned space or you live in the desert a plastic tarp should be fine, unless you seal it up somehow their should be enough air circulation.

Knowing what you're trying to protect it from would be very helpful... for example if you do welding in your garage you'll need something completely different.

·
Build Thread Queen
13,193 Posts
Are you worried about the paint? Or are you trying to keep dirt or cats, bugs, etc. out while it's parked inside?

If you're just looking to keep the interior protected when you have the top off, check out raingear.com. I got one of their covers for Mike's jeep for when he has the tops/doors off and it's a great cover. Fit is awesome.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, I keep enough Wax on my jeep. Just want to protect the front end/dog house
from usual dust,dirt, and typical bugs. I live very close to a park with several Baseball fields, Dust is probably the most problem.
The back park I have a Hard top, and usually its on when in the garage, but this summer the doors and top will be off more than on.

I am not really looking to park and cover outside.

seems like I am always cleaning off the front, more than the rest ( Black top, sides and flares are never dusty or dirty )

·
Registered
851 Posts
Condensation isn't always a problem, if your garage is conditioned space or you live in the desert a plastic tarp should be fine, unless you seal it up somehow their should be enough air circulation.
I suppose that's true. I have never had an air-conditioned garage or lived in a part of the country where condensation wasn't a problem

My recommendation was based strictly on my observations of maintaining a classic car for 30 years. Your results may vary.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
How long are you parking it in the garage

I think you are over thinking it , mine stays in the garage doorless and all and park for weeks without moving . I have not seen a bug or enough dust to matter for a cover

And I live on 7 arces surrounded by another 40 acres so I got the dust part and bugs

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Maybe I am over thinking it. but it seems like the last 2-3 months out here in the midwest have been very windy and rainy. Every time I open my garage there are things blowing around, weather its dust/dirt or rain - seems to end up on the front end of Rig :)

Lately i have been cleaning it off more than driving it. /
I think I have a 4ft x 4ft or 6x6 waterproof tarp for painting ( cloth on the bottom, and waterseal type plastic on the top ), I am going to just throw it over the front end ! might work for the elements.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
The Smittybilt one is probably fine for what you need. I actually keep that on my Jeep, which is stored outdoors. If its going to rain, I also throw a tarp over the top. The Smitty cover is water resistant, but leaks at the seams.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The Smittybilt one is probably fine for what you need. I actually keep that on my Jeep, which is stored outdoors. If its going to rain, I also throw a tarp over the top. The Smitty cover is water resistant, but leaks at the seams.
^ thanks

1 - 11 of 11 Posts