Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey. I’m new to the forum. I’m looking to be educated on a project I would like to take on. My wife and I currently wheel a jk unlimited and love it. It’s her daily driver and I feel we’ve taken it as far as we can without making it a pain to run down the highway. I would love to build a suspension stretched two door. Looking online for my next Jeep. I come across a lot of cjs and tjs. Plan on doing a motor swap anyways so not to worries about power plant. End game is coils on all fours corners. So my question is with a suspension stretch do the spring Perch’s and shock towers get relocated? Or going into a tj model save me a step in the project?

·
Registered
532 Posts
Sounds like you'd be far ahead of the game just buying a TJ with coils. I cant see a person buying a TJ and doing a leaf conversion or a YJ/CJ and doing a coil conversion. Just get what you need/want to start with and go from there.

·
Super Moderator
11,082 Posts
Sounds like you'd be far ahead of the game just buying a TJ with coils. I cant see a person buying a TJ and doing a leaf conversion or a YJ/CJ and doing a coil conversion. Just get what you need/want to start with and go from there.
^^^ This. Unless you have a shop and fabrication skills, starting with a CJ or YJ could be a real budget buster.

Plus, what's the advantage of coils on the back of what sounds like it's going to be primarily a trail rig? Just wondering.

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
Start with a TJ. Get a long arm kit for an LJ (long wheel base TJ). Comp cut the fenders. Relocate the frame side coil buckets and shock mounts. Done.

·
RETIRED MODERATOR
60,908 Posts
:welcome: to the Forum..:wavey:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for the welcoming guys and the info. I thought coils all round was the best way to get flex out of the unit. And I would really like to get my approach and departure angles to 90• or negative. Plan is to cut the rear fender to show the tub and get the tires out the back. Don’t know if that is possible with leafs unless I’m running 40”. But I really don’t know that.

Like he said cut the coil baskets and shock mounts and move them. Made me wonder if it starting with them even mattered. Or just throwing the leafs out of the way

But you guys are saying start with the closest thing will make life easier so that’s what I’ll do.

This Jeep is pretty much what I’m dreaming of and am trying to figure out how to get there

Attachments

·
Registered
4,340 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts