Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm building a grand wag dana 44 for the front of my 2001 tj. Been researching but would like to get some opinions on the best locker for this axle. I want something selectable and reliable to hold up with 37s. Also any input on steering setup would be appreciated.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,638 Posts
An ARB Air Locker would definitely be my #1 choice. Currie's Currectlnk HD steering kit is the usual recommendation for front TJ axles but I'm not sure if it'd work with or fit a Waggie D44. www.savvyoffroad.com is a dealer for the Currie kit, Gerald can answer that for you. Gerald's direct email address is [email protected]

·
Full Size Jeep Dr.
3,432 Posts
The only way you could make the Currectlink work would be to shorten the axle to the length of a TJ axle.

What year did you pull it out of?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The 44 is out of an 88. WMs to wms is within an inch of factory dana 30. That's why I went with the axle, so it would match my rear 8.8 without having to be cut down. Ive heard of curries kit but not done any research on it. I thought about building my own draglink and tierod using 1.5" dom and heims. I heard heims are illegal to use for steering on the road. Does anyone have any facts on that? As for the ARB, how reliable are they? I have absolutely no exp with selectable lockers but have always felt like the ARB has to many things that can go wrong. Although having onboard air is very appealing. Does anyone have any exp with ox or any of the ected (electric) lockers? This purchase is gonna mean a bank note so I wanna make sure I choose wisely and economically.

·
Full Size Jeep Dr.
3,432 Posts
Ok, with an 88 you won't have to worry about the vacuum disconnect that some years had.

With only an inch of difference, the Currectlink should work just fine. Please post some pics when you get it done.

·
Abe Froman
3,786 Posts
ARB is the premium selectable locker. They have been around longer than anyone and yes they are easily the best. If my memory serves me correctly the e locker is a limited slip when not locked so it would not be my choice for a locker up front. You want one that will totally unlock in the front.

·
Full Size Jeep Dr.
3,432 Posts
The Eaton E-locker is open whsn not locked, the Ected is a limited-slip when not locked. The ARB is pretty much the cream of the crop.

The Ox is a decent locker, but from what I've heard the cable stretches and needs regular adjustments. You can get electric or ait shifters for it now though.

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
Ok, with an 88 you won't have to worry about the vacuum disconnect that some years had.

With only an inch of difference, the Currectlink should work just fine. Please post some pics when you get it done.
Are the tapers on the knuckles the same?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts